Will Gerbe be pushed out of the lineup?

Marvelo

If you and I were arguing about paint colors, and I was to say that light blue really has shown to be a great color for infant males' bedrooms, the way you are stating your "case", I'd expect your response to be, "Light blue is a crappy color, and no house will ever be a good house with a room painted light blue." There's no real place for me to grab onto your "reasoning", especially when I keep trying to remind you (and frankly weave as well) of Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta on that 3rd line in those games, after all those OTHER games when Gaustad centered them and they were also extremely effective.

OK, so I was typing that as weave was posting his. I'm fine, again, if Gerbe sits healthy because the Sabres are doing better without him. But there are a handful of players that are nowhere near as good defensively as Gerbe proved to be, so I absolutely see him being right there on the 3rd line again eventually.

See my above post. I think Leino-Roy-Pommer is a more effective line that Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta. And more versatile as well. Your mileage may vary.

Gerbe =Jody Gage Look it up kids.

I don't know where you are going with this. Gerbe has already played twice as many NHL games as Gage. I'm not saying I want Gerbe on my team, just that he'll probably have a job somewhere in the NHL for a while. Let's hope it's not Buffalo.

You keep ignoring this, so I won't try and actually angage you in a discussion of Gerbe's great two-way game and his success on the 3rd line. I'll just say that, no matter what happens during this Sabres hot streak, by next season, I expect the 3rd line to be Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta. And no way will that make me unhappy.

Oh I am? Crap. Then I change my mind. Besides, Gerbe's value, again, is on the 3rd line, so when the dust settles and guys like Hecht and Boyes are gone, I expect Gerbe and McCormick to possibly exist on the same roster. Wouldn't bother me at all. But McCormick is probably going to lose his job to a rookie this coming offs And eason, just a hunch.

And Gerbe should follow him out the door.

fan2456: For whatever reason it won't let me quote you now so I'll just respond here. And this one is simple. Go watch the film of the Sabres games when Gaustad, gerbe, and Kaleta were our 3rd line, go back from Goose's trade as far as that combo went. Then watch Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta play that role as the Sabres 3rd line.

See how well they did. If you want to, go back and notice how many people noticed how well they did to get a picture of how they reasoned their arguments and didn;t limit their conversation about Gerbe to his height, and how effective they were at stating their case, as opposed to yourself.

I don't know where you are going with this. Gerbe has already played twice as many NHL games as Gage. I'm not saying I want Gerbe on my team, just that he'll probably have a job somewhere in the NHL for a while. Let's hope it's not Buffalo.

I just feel he is a career AHL player, like Jody. He is not an NHL player under the current rules imo.

fan2456: For whatever reason it won't let me quote you now so I'll just respond here. And this one is simple. Go watch the film of the Sabres games when Gaustad, gerbe, and Kaleta were our 3rd line, go back from Goose's trade as far as that combo went. Then watch Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta play that role as the Sabres 3rd line.

See how well they did. If you want to, go back and notice how many people noticed how well they did to get a picture of how they reasoned their arguments and didn;t limit their conversation about Gerbe to his height, and how effective they were at stating their case, as opposed to yourself.

Fine. he's not NHL player, but he is a great story.

Calmer than you'll ever know.

You insinuated I'm nuts and implied I can't keep up. I'd call that snark. Whatever. If you want to have a discussion involving logic and reason about where Gerbe fits in the current lineup I'm all ears and willing to move forward. If you want to insinuate a bunch of personal stuff I'll move on. Choice is yours.

Take it for what it's worth. I tried to show I'm not implying anything and even tried to lighten the mood a little bit. But if you want to insinuate that you think you know what I am implying then be my guest.

You lie. A guy with your egocentrism and smarm will never eat crow.
Big word: egocentrism. I would eat crow, but I won't have to, cuz he is not an NHL player for winning teams in this league Mr. Chimp. There has been 1 player of his size in the last 25 years and he scored 100pts. I'll play the stats and assume I am correct, despite your swarm.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Leino, Kaleta and Gerbe back together if the become healthy in time for the playoffs. The way they played defensively together leads me to believe they will play and important part in the playoffs against the first line, should they make it.

It might even be a win-win if Leino can add some offensive spark to his game like he has shown he can do in the playoffs.

Take it for what it's worth. I tried to show I'm not implying anything and even tried to lighten the mood a little bit. But if you want to insinuate that you think you know what I am implying then be my guest.

Fair enough. I may have taken those words differently than intended. An emoticon might've helped if you were looking to lighten the mood. :) <---- helps

It wouldn't surprise me to see Leino, Kaleta and Gerbe back together if the become healthy in time for the playoffs. The way they played defensively together leads me to believe they will play and important part in the playoffs against the first line, should they make it.

It might even be a win-win if Leino can add some offensive spark to his game like he has shown he can do in the playoffs.

If that happens, how do you see the other lines playing out? That has to factor.

My small players in order of importance to this team are Ennis, Roy and Gerbe and I have felt this for a couple of years. There is only room for one or two players of this size on a cup team in this NHL. So. Gerbe is on the outside in my opinion. That is my objective obsetrvation, without my heart being involved.

Big word: egocentrism. I would eat crow, but I won't have to, cuz he is not an NHL player for winning teams in this league Mr. Chimp. There has been 1 player of his size in the last 25 years and he scored 100pts. I'll play the stats and assume I am correct, despite your swarm1

Well, yes, being correct is surely important to you, isn't it? I suppose if you had substantive arguments it wouldn't be so difficult for you, but here, I'll go easy on you and just give you the "W", okie dokie? Have a good one. This has become a bore.

Fair enough. I may have taken those words differently than intended. An emoticon might've helped if you were looking to lighten the mood. :) <---- helps

Gotcha. smilie_thumbsup.gif

If that happens, how do you see the other lines playing out? That has to factor.

I honestly don't know. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see our top two lines changing any time soon. The 3rd and 4th lines remain to be seen. I guess it all depends on who is healthy and who we happen to get in the first round. With the way Lindy has shuffled lines all year, anything is possible.

Well, yes, being correct is surely important to you, isn't it? I suppose if you had substantive arguments it wouldn't be so difficult for you, but here, I'll go easy on you and just give you the "W", okie dokie? Have a good one. This has become a bore.
Okay, what is a substantive arguement in you opinion. I like Gerbe, and in the 2006 NHL he could play. What do you want from me. This is a clutch, grab and interfernce league again, and small players, despite skilll are at a complete disadvantage. I just don't think the rules help him be a player in this league, Please, convince me otherwise, Chimp. I can be objective, but I need something of substance.. Frankly, Gerbe is the samllest player in the league with little offensive production. In game seven of th Stanley CUP FINALS SOME STUD WILL ROLL OVER HIM FOR THE WINNING GOAL! And I'll hate it!

This thread is really interesting in that it has given me perspective on what kinds of fans all of you guys are. I don't mean good or bad as that would be a silly and subjective classification. However, I do think it is safe to say that this thread is an indication of whether you are a fan of the team, a few players on the team, or just of winning. I am surprised to see that more people are just fans of winning than they are of the players on the team. Those who are fans of players on the team have got to be practically in love with Gerbe (I fall in this category). Those who are bigger fans of winning are probably the ones indicating that Gerbe deserves to be forced out.

All I'll say to add to the argument is you need to think about the impact a player has on his teammates as well. If you recall Ennis coming back from his energy the only player he referenced as a focal point of study during his injury was Gerbe. Is it simple position-change and luck that caused him to play like madman these past few weeks? I doubt it.

There are several people who should be forced out of this lineup before Gerbe. Anybody suggesting otherwise is very nearsighted.

I honestly don't know. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see our top two lines changing any time soon. The 3rd and 4th lines remain to be seen. I guess it all depends on who is healthy and who we happen to get in the first round. With the way Lindy has shuffled lines all year, anything is possible.

The bolded part is the basis for my point. Right now IMO our top 2 lines are borderline-to-OK top 6 playoff lines. And the 3rd line seems to have turned into a fairly decent checking/3rd scoring line. If the top 2 lines are the best we can assemble with this roster (and I think they are), then I don't see how we can reconfigure things to make a Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta line without compromising the top 2 lines. And frankly, Leino-Roy-Pommer has shown me enough that I am not jonesing to see Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta re-formed. And this leaves us with a 4th line to reconfigure. Given that Gerbe is a LW, we are looking at replacing McCormick. Situationally that may make sense, but I don't think it is automatic that Gerbe should go in over McC.

Now, if the top 6 begin to stumble........

This thread is really interesting in that it has given me perspective on what kinds of fans all of you guys are. I don't mean good or bad as that would be a silly and subjective classification. However, I do think it is safe to say that this thread is an indication of whether you are a fan of the team, a few players on the team, or just of winning. I am surprised to see that more people are just fans of winning than they are of the players on the team. Those who are fans of players on the team have got to be practically in love with Gerbe (I fall in this category). Those who are bigger fans of winning are probably the ones indicating that Gerbe deserves to be forced out.

Isn't winning the point?

All I'll say to add to the argument is you need to think about the impact a player has on his teammates as well. If you recall Ennis coming back from his energy the only player he referenced as a focal point of study during his injury was Gerbe. Is it simple position-change and luck that caused him to play like madman these past few weeks? I doubt it.

There are several people who should be forced out of this lineup before Gerbe. Anybody suggesting otherwise is very nearsighted.

Gerbe is an LW. Which LW would you like to see replaced by Gerbe, and how do you see the lines as a result?

It doesn't happen in a vacuum. You can't replace Boyes with Gerbe because they aren't playing the same position. You have to make a justification that takes position into account.

good points. I do agree with the others, though, that a cup winning team probably will never have Nathan Gerbe on it, as much as I love him. With this current lineup, though, gerbe is a much better option to me than Boyes, or Cody in some situations.

I am a fan of winning, at any costs. I haven't loved any player or group of players since 05-06, enough to keep them because I like them. Those guys worked like Gerbe, but also won when it counted. Since this team has yet to do so, players that might hinder the process to build a winner because of size can go without me blinking an eye. I love Gerbe, but don't see him helping us win here.

I'm sorry but winning is all that matters in professional sport. The G.M. should do everything in his power to improve the team. If that means getting rid of your favourite player, then so be it. Winning is everything.

I'm sorry but winning is all that matters in professional sport. The G.M. should do everything in his power to improve the team. If that means getting rid of your favourite player, then so be it. Winning is everything.

Absolutely. There's a difference between having affection for certain players and putting the best team on the ice. If there's an opportunity to improve the roster, management has to take it--- regardless of whether or not I'll need to buy a new jersey because of it.

My small players in order of importance to this team are Ennis, Roy and Gerbe and I have felt this for a couple of years. There is only room for one or two players of this size on a cup team in this NHL. So. Gerbe is on the outside in my opinion. That is my objective subjective obsetrvation, without my heart being involved.

Fixed

Agreed. Which is why I tried to make a case for Gerbe being the best choice for LW on our 3rd line. And also, I am happy Darcy didn't listen to all of us know-it-alls and get rid of Roy and Stafford by the deadline, too! Whew!! I'm sticking to medical transcription from now on! (mostly)

Fixed

:thumbsup:

My small players in order of importance to this team are Ennis, Roy and Gerbe and I have felt this for a couple of years. There is only room for one or two players of this size on a cup team in this NHL. So. Gerbe is on the outside in my opinion. That is my objective obsetrvation, without my heart being involved.

I'm not disagreeing with your ordering of the smaller guys, but since Gerbe is under contract for 2 more seasons and Ennis is RFA after this season, what are people proposing if there's only room for 1 or 2 of them on the roster? What will we get in a trade for Gerbe? I don't think Pegula would be too happy about burying a contract signed under his watch in the AHL. Seems that resigning him last offseason was a vote of confidence that he has a place on the team.

See my above post. I think Leino-Roy-Pommer is a more effective line that Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta. And more versatile as well. Your mileage may vary.

so you want to put 13.8mil on the 3rd line, including our leader in points? Im done with this thread, carry on.

Archived