Foligno, Ennis and Stafford

kishoph

It was 6 bad games for Adam.

What is really going to change it is Gerbe coming back. Myers as well.

They'll have to send either Foligno or Tropp back to Roch when Gerbe is healthy. In the back of my head I almost hope someone bad gets hurt so they can both stay up.

McNabb should be sent down today. And who are you going to sit, Weber or Sulzer?

I sit Sulzer because Weber is part of the future of this team. Weber needs all the games he can get while Regehr is here because I think Weber will take over for him after next season. I must be blind on the issue of Weber but he does a lot of little things right and although the 2 SO losses he did make some mistakes I do not believe that should condemn him. His +/- is so bad because he is up against top lines. He is a solid player.

If little guys can be so effective at center, why not give Gerbe a chance to play at his natural position when he gets back, and sit that waste of oxygen, bust trade, cost us Kassian, prospect Hodgson?

I had to re-read this twice to realize it was sarcastic... rotflmfao

I have been dismissing the notion of trading Ennis for months. His speed and stick handling are so profoundly better than almost any other Sabre we would be insane to move this kid. Moving him to center has allowed for 2 important things to occur simultaneously: 1) It allows Ennis the room he needs to use is explosive speed while keeping him away from the walls where his small size is a "mild" hindrance" 2) It allows him more time with the puck meaning he can draw defenders and pass it to an open Stafford or Foligno.

As for Stafford and Foligno I think it is amazing what a decent center does for Drew's numbers. Foligno I think has more heart than Kassian ever did and it looks like he is willing to throw his body around. Generally speaking this line is great to watch and for the first time in YEARS I see them out there I think "we are going to score"

I'm pretty sure Tropp was a regular recall on deadline day and Foligno was an emergency recall originally up for McCormick.

So Tropp is here to stay and they haven't yet used one of the four callups. They'll use one on Foligno if and when they have to.

Where they are despite Roy and Vanek is impressive to a point.

Foligno shows the importance of not only having size but the willingness to go the areas where size matters.

Tropp seems to get what it will take for him to earn a regular shift in the NHL.

Foligno is doing what I think everyone hoped he would do.. be like his father. There is something so right about seeing a Foligno name on a Sabres jersey.

This line is great and right now there is no way you break them up. Hell Foligno is the Sabres most prolific goal scorer right now.

Foligno is doing what I think everyone hoped he would do.. be like his father. There is something so right about seeing a Foligno name on a Sabres jersey.

This line is great and right now there is no way you break them up. Hell Foligno is the Sabres most prolific goal scorer right now.

Marcus may turn out to be a top-6 forward(not what he is projected to be), but anyone expecting Foligno to be the player his father was, will be more than likely disappointed. Mike Foligno was not only tough as nails, but he had above average offensive skills.

He was one of my all-time favorite Sabres...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1730

That being said, Marcus has got off to a great start!

About the four recall rule. It is true that that holds only as long as Rochester is in the playoffs, correct? And right now Rochester is barely in, correct?

Yes

If Foligno is made an official call-up, can he still play in the AHL playoffs if the sabres miss?

Yes.

Why would that be? It's post trade deadline and according to NHLnumbers they aren't up against the cap. Just burn another roster move and keep the 2 of them up. They'd still have 2 moves left iirc.

As to your question, I'd sit Sulzer but wouldn't be surprised to see it go the other way. His play has dipped the last handful of games from where it was w/ the adrenalin of a fresh start running strong.

With McNabb going back down and keeping all the players we have right now, Sabres would finish the regular season with $46,803 of cap space. So, yes.

And that includes Hecht's LTIR creds?

They've used most of Hecht's LTIR. They do have about $300,000 left though. That's if they use it. Maybe I should rephrase.

Sabres would finish regular season $46,803 away from the salary cap. But still technically have $350,00 or so of cap 'space'.

Marcus may turn out to be a top-6 forward(not what he is projected to be), but anyone expecting Foligno to be the player his father was, will be more than likely disappointed. Mike Foligno was not only tough as nails, but he had above average offensive skills.

http://www.hockeydb....ay.php?pid=1730

I think you've had the right beat all along.

He hasn't been too swift in his own end, and a few of his goals have been sloppy...but goals nonetheless.....but it just shows what can happen when you have a big body take up the concentration of the defense because he is willing to get piled on and do the dirty things. I don't find it surprising Stafford is doing well with him as I have always said that is what you need to do to get the most out of him....pair him up with a grinding scorer and let them feed off each other. You would also see Vanek improve greatly if he had a comparable guy playing with him. With Foligno anchoring in front of the net, and Stafford getting bolder, Ennis has more room to be creative and use his wheels. You bring in a real #1 RW that is polished and has Foligno's skillset, and all of a sudden Roy looks like a different guy and Vanek has more room and the benefit Stafford has been showing.

I don't expect the mojo to last forever, but maybe it will wake up management to show them how simple of a formula it really is. At some point though, when the goals dry up and Lindy loses his extra patience for defensive flubs because he is Mike's kid.....Foligno will have to fight through it. He seems like he's got a great attitude though.

I'd move Ennis to wing starting tomorrow. If he continues to play like this, he is either going to get an offer sheet or win a billion dollars in arbitration (if he's eligible). We need to get him locked up soon.

He's an RFA. Add him to the "he's goin' nowhere" list.

He's an RFA. Add him to the "he's goin' nowhere" list.

Thomas Vanek

Danny Briere (especially as it relates to the injury extrapolation)

Tim Kennedy

Dustin Penner

Shea Weber

I don't want these things to happen.

edit: At least arbitration is out, he doesn't have enough years.

I still worry about an offer sheet.

I'm a worrier.

They've used most of Hecht's LTIR. They do have about $300,000 left though. That's if they use it. Maybe I should rephrase.

Sabres would finish regular season $46,803 away from the salary cap. But still technically have $350,00 or so of cap 'space'.

I doubt we see Jochen back this season, so then they'd have about $350k left. Safe to assume that is in actual $'s? If so, they could bring up ~$3.5MM worth of full year salary at least until Jochen is back and if they wait another 1.5 weeks to do that they'd be able to bring up ~$7MM worth of full year salary.

I don't see Tropp or Foligno heading back down this season. At least not unless the Sabres are done and the Amerks are still playing.

I wonder how those numbers would translate into today's game. They obviously don't score today like they did back then. Where would those numbers fall in the league averages compared to where today's 3rd liner would? That peak season in 85-86 sticks out a bit, but I would be surprised to see some of those others fall more in line with the typical secondary scorers of the day.

Thomas Vanek

Danny Briere (especially as it relates to the injury extrapolation)

Tim Kennedy

Dustin Penner

Shea Weber

I don't want these things to happen.

edit: At least arbitration is out, he doesn't have enough years.

I still worry about an offer sheet.

I'm a worrier.

I say it over and over every single season. How many offer sheets do you see signed each year? During the life of this current CBA, only 6 have been signed. That's 1 a year, but over the last 3 seasons total, there has only been one (Hjalmarsson in 2010). Teams have learned the game and they don't go that route.

I say it over and over every single season. How many offer sheets do you see signed each year? During the life of this current CBA, only 6 have been signed. That's 1 a year, but over the last 3 seasons total, there has only been one (Hjalmarsson in 2010). Teams have learned the game and they don't go that route.

With our luck, Brian Burke would offer him 5 years $30 Million the day before he gets fired.

I wonder how those numbers would translate into today's game. They obviously don't score today like they did back then. Where would those numbers fall in the league averages compared to where today's 3rd liner would? That peak season in 85-86 sticks out a bit, but I would be surprised to see some of those others fall more in line with the typical secondary scorers of the day.

i was thinking the same thing - that was one of the highest scoring eras in hockey - what does his average season translate to today - 20 goals? I could see Foligno (Marcus) scoring 15-20. Drive the net hard all day long all season long and that number is very realistic.

Doubt he ends up as good as Mike was, but he has been projected to have more offense than his brother.

3rd liner is probably more likely, but based on his play since the WJC's, I don't mind saying that I'm expecting 2nd liner.

I'd move Ennis to wing starting tomorrow. If he continues to play like this, he is either going to get an offer sheet or win a billion dollars in arbitration (if he's eligible). We need to get him locked up soon.

If Stamkos didn't attract a ridiculous offer sheet, I highly doubt Ennis will. Maybe if we were still under cost-cutting ownership, but I don't think any team realistically thinks they're prying a coveted RFA away from Pegula.

And I think Foligno could be a top-6 guy if the Sabres go with the balanced line approach: 1 worker/grit guy to open space and go into the dirty areas, 1 playmaking center, and 1 finisher. I never expect Foligno to develop into a 30 goal sniper or 65 point guy, but if he can get 20 goals and around 50 points, there's no reason he couldn't be considered a top-6 winger when adding in the other things he brings when on the ice.

Couldn't they send Boyes to Rochester? At this point it wouldn't cost too much.

They need Boyes for shoot outs. :rolleyes:

Well, if Lindy keeps the line together, he will be bashed for not moving someone like Ennis to the top line to get Vanek and Pomminstein going. If he moves one of them from that line he will be bashed for breaking up the hottest line

Theres nothing he can do thats right in Sabres fans eyes.................

I honestly don't think that there would be anyone complaining about not moving Ennis to the "top line" to get Vanek and Pommers going, also they're not even on the same line at this point.

Archived