Foligno, Ennis and Stafford

kishoph

If you're credited with a goal, you're credited with a shot. It will count the same way if a puck deflects off you and the goalie stops it too. I'm sure someone has done it at some point, but I wish they could weed out those "shots" and put together a more telling stat.

So an own goal would result in a shot recorded for the last opposing player to touch the puck? That's F'n silly.

You can't have a goal without a shot. Travis Turnbull is currently second on the team in shooting percentage at 33.3%.

The only case of a goal getting scored that I'm not positive that there'd be a shot associated with is a 'technical' goal, e.g., goalie out of the net, defender throws his stick at the puck carrier and knocks the puck away, goal is awarded to puck carrier even though no shot was ever taken. I'd expect that the player credited with the goal gets credited with a sog but am not positive of that.

On all other plays, you are correct. The last player to touch the puck from the team scoring the goal gets credit for it. IIRC, the center taking the faceoff would get credit for a goal scored before his team ever touched the puck off the draw.

The only case of a goal getting scored that I'm not positive that there'd be a shot associated with is a 'technical' goal, e.g., goalie out of the net, defender throws his stick at the puck carrier and knocks the puck away, goal is awarded to puck carrier even though no shot was ever taken. I'd expect that the player credited with the goal gets credited with a sog but am not positive of that.

On all other plays, you are correct. The last player to touch the puck from the team scoring the goal gets credit for it. IIRC, the center taking the faceoff would get credit for a goal scored before his team ever touched the puck off the draw.

I think they'd still credit a shot. If they didn't you could have the possible scenario where a guy has an undefined shooting percentage, 1/0. Either way, I do love when a thread goes off on a strange tangent.

Brings back one of my all time favorite memories. Sabres playing Flyers and I'm with the world's biggest Don Luce fan, who as you know shot a backhand whenever he could. I just get through razzing my friend that Luce would go backhand on an empty net when he gets a breakawy on, you guessed it, an open net. Before we could find out if I was right, Doug Favell throws his stick from the bench and knocks the puck away. Of course, Luce was awarded the goal. The way that shot clock worked in the Aud, they probably gave him 2 shits on goal!

Brings back one of my all time favorite memories. Sabres playing Flyers and I'm with the world's biggest Don Luce fan, who as you know shot a backhand whenever he could. I just get through razzing my friend that Luce would go backhand on an empty net when he gets a breakawy on, you guessed it, an open net. Before we could find out if I was right, Doug Favell throws his stick from the bench and knocks the puck away. Of course, Luce was awarded the goal. The way that shot clock worked in the Aud, they probably gave him 2 shits on goal!

Oh I hope not :P

Archived