Paul Gaustad to Nashville

spndnchz

We might as well start calling him Hodgsie since that is what his official locker room nickname will be.

I kinda like Hodger. Maybe Rick and Harry will slip and call him Bodger.

Unbelieveable return for Gaustad. Unbelievable! I love Goose. He was a great Buffalo kind of guy and Sabre. But, let's be real. All he did was win faceoffs, and I will give him credit that he was pretty decent in the role of a third line checking center against the other team's top line. But, he brings no offense. To get a first round pick for that is unbelievable. It's a great return and the Sabres have 2 first round picks this year.

Have you watched the guy kill penalties? That's probably worth it to a playoff team alone. The face-offs and occasional fight is just extras.

I kinda like Hodger. Maybe Rick and Harry will slip and call him Bodger.

Have you watched the guy kill penalties? That's probably worth it to a playoff team alone. The face-offs and occasional fight is just extras.

This is a great point. And I'm betting Malkin is pretty happy to have him out of the conference, too. Still, a FIRST!

Who is going to take Gaustad's place on the PK? Kaleta? Vanek?

Well, in a better situation, it'd be Hecht. If we're talking about near term, I could see Boyes. Next year... Ennis at center?

In DR's presser at one point, he sort of trailed off about not moving Boyes because Gaustad had been moved. That translates to me that Boyes will pick up some of Goose's 3rd line responsibilities.

Just not in the top 6. This needs to be addressed in the off-season!

If we let go of the idea of Stafford being a power forward he looked pretty good as a gritty player early in the season. Not just flashes either.

Kaleta is already on the PK, and not doing a bad job. I don't have a huge amount of time for Ruff but one thing he can do is PK so I'm not too concerned.

Well, in a better situation, it'd be Hecht. If we're talking about near term, I could see Boyes. Next year... Ennis at center?

In DR's presser at one point, he sort of trailed off about not moving Boyes because Gaustad had been moved. That translates to me that Boyes will pick up some of Goose's 3rd line responsibilities.

Forgot about Boyes. It will be interesting to see if they can get a good PK out of him It would somewhat offset his lack of production in other areas.

Take this anyway you want, but Buffalo is 21st in the league on the PK. There is room for decline but much for improvement.

Gaustad was by far the best forward for the 3 man PK, cause that seems to be happening a lot lately.

There is no center on the PK, just a guy who takes faceoffs. As for someone taking his place, I wonder if Hodgson has any of that ability in him. TSN kept throwing around the two way forward label yesterday.

There is no center on the PK, just a guy who takes faceoffs. As for someone taking his place, I wonder if Hodgson has any of that ability in him. TSN kept throwing around the two way forward label yesterday.

I know he is a rookie, so take this with a grain of salt, but Hodgson's faceoff number is at 42%, and he has 2 seconds total PK time for the season.

Goose was typically out there to take the faceoff against their number 1 line winning 50+% of them. I wonder who steps up now? I see the Sabres losing a ton of faceoffs going from here on out. Roy used to be okay, but he's slipping. Let's hope that Hodgson turns out to be a good faceoff guy...

Gaustad was behind Pommers and Connolly, Neids and probably Grier, last year in PK ability. Four of those five are gone, so it's looking like penalty killing forwards will be something that should be addressed in the offseason. Kaleta's now, at least, on par with Grier, who looked abysmally slow in relief of Pominville.

PK forwards are something that you can acquire for less that a first round pick, but the faceoffs will require someone to step up and train like a mother gonna have her first baby in the offseason. But IMO Gaustad is easily replaceable

I wouldn't be suprised if Goose is on the team on July 1st. Especially after Miller's comments today.

Here is a link to those comments. Maybe if he has any influence he can get Gaustad to resign this summer for less money.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2012/02/sabres-miller-unhappy-to-see-gaustad-dealt-if-i-had-any-more-influence-paul-would-still-be-here.html

Here is a link to those comments. Maybe if he has any influence he can get Gaustad to resign this summer for less money.

http://blogs.buffalo...ll-be-here.html

You know what I find more interesting about that one? It seems kind of stupid that Hodgson and Sulzer had to fly to Buffalo for physicals and then back out to Anaheim. They were already in Phoenix so that seems incredibly unnecessary.

You know what I find more interesting about that one? It seems kind of stupid that Hodgson and Sulzer had to fly to Buffalo for physicals and then back out to Anaheim. They were already in Phoenix so that seems incredibly unnecessary.

You have to establish residency for visas.

I just heard Miller on the radio - oh no, wahhh, is this going to be the reason if he slumps now. Jesus H, just do your job and shut up, you'll see him at your catwalk party next year.....

Millsie: "Hey Paul how about coming back to B-lo for next year. You might get less money but we'll be a team again!"

Goose: "How about you take a cut in salary so they can afford me?"

Millsie: "Nevermind"

Millsie: "Hey Paul how about coming back to B-lo for next year. You might get less money but we'll be a team again!"

Goose: "How about you take a cut in salary so they can afford me?"

Millsie: "Nevermind"

Exactly

Maybe if Miller didn't give up 3+ goals for the majority of the games they wouldn't be in a situation where PG had to be shipped.

Exactly

Maybe if Miller didn't give up 3+ goals for the majority of the games they wouldn't be in a situation where PG had to be shipped.

Yes. And I hope other players are just as upset. And I hope they actually learn that they can't take for granted they'll all be together--they have to give management a reason to keep things together. On the other hand, I'm also glad that Miller has the philosophy he does on trades--at least one guy in the locker room isn't hoping for superman to come in and rescue the team, they have to do it themselves.

Archived