What are you currently reading?

darksabre

The Dead Zone is amazing, but I didn't like Firestarter. Maybe you will, do let us know.

Yes, The Dead Zone seems to be one of those King books where he's just "on".

For me Stephen King starts and ends with *It*.

Scariest book I have ever read.  Plays on all my worst childhood fears and nightmares.

This guy has some heavy duty demons that's for sure.

And he's been able to share those demons with his readers in such exceptional ways!  I can't wait for "It", but I still have a ways to go to get to that one in my chronological journey.

I re-visited some Woody Allen work for the New Yorker in the 1960s. Some awesome humor. I enjoy Allen best in small doses.

I still read The New Yorker, but only from time to time. With the proliferation of outlets in a web and cable world, we don't see media giants anymore. We don't often see the prose, either. The New Yorker loomed large.

Available online, and a five minute read, is The Gossage-Vardebedian Papers. Enjoy the absurdity and the language.

http://maxxwolf.tripod.com/woody.html

Edited by N'eo

Cross-referencing from the "Politics" thread:

I can't recommend Matt Taibbi's books and articles enough.  I like his sarcastic writing style.  I've read several of his books and his book (Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America) on the 2008 market crash and the events leading up to it are top notch.  He writes in a way that's understandable yet humorous, so that a real boring, complex issue is entertaining and engaging.  He also actually "does the work" needed to know the subject he's writing about.

For example, he sat in on the congressional committee meetings pertaining to the market crash, which no other (or very few other) reporters did.  He also embedded himself as an evangelical in a Texas church and rode along in Baghdad with military convoys for his book The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics & Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire.

If you like Taibbi, you would love Rick Pearlstein. Read Nixonland, I guarantee you will not be disappointed 

http://www.amazon.com/Nixonland-Rise-President-Fracturing-America/dp/B002B5AXT0

If you like Taibbi, you would love Rick Pearlstein. Read Nixonland, I guarantee you will not be disappointed 

http://www.amazon.com/Nixonland-Rise-President-Fracturing-America/dp/B002B5AXT0

Thanks, I may check that one out.  I have heard of it before.  My non Stephen King book queue is getting quite daunting.  There is so much excellent reading material out there.

Oh, and I love Taibbi's writing.  It just connects perfectly with me.

Thanks, I may check that one out.  I have heard of it before.  My non Stephen King book queue is getting quite daunting.  There is so much excellent reading material out there.

Oh, and I love Taibbi's writing.  It just connects perfectly with me.

I love him also. Great writer. His article on Trump's rise earlier in the summer just cracked me up laughing an crying 

• 3 weeks later...

The Dead Zone is amazing, but I didn't like Firestarter. Maybe you will, do let us know.

Loved The Dead Zone.  One of my favorites so far in my "Stephen King, Revisited" tour.

I just recently picked up his new book "The Bazaar of Bad Dreams" and have begun reading that.  It's a collection of short stories.  The first story "Mile 81" is pretty crazy and is an awesome start to the book.  This book is notable because he does a little introduction for each story, which I like and he hasn't done before (or much before) that I can recall.  He usually just does the one long introduction for everything at the beginning of the book.

Also, I just finished "Batman and Robin Have an Altercation", which aside from being a good story, has an amazing title! 

Just finished the 6th book in the Malazan series, 'Reaper's Gale' Again, an amazing ending. But holy hell, that might have been some of the saddest 100 pages I've ever read

Do you mean book 7? 

I ask because I thought Bonehunters was book 6.

I about 150 pages from the end of Book 5... Trull Sengar has gained much more of my respect.

Do you mean book 7? 

I ask because I thought Bonehunters was book 6.

I about 150 pages from the end of Book 5... Trull Sengar has gained much more of my respect.

Ah yup, you're right, book 8. Trull Sengar is awesome!. Come back here and tell me when you finish that book, I'm excited to hear your take on it

LGR's reply to WildCard.

Took me a second, but well played

• 3 weeks later...

Loved The Dead Zone. One of my favorites so far in my "Stephen King, Revisited" tour.

I just recently picked up his new book "The Bazaar of Bad Dreams" and have begun reading that. It's a collection of short stories. The first story "Mile 81" is pretty crazy and is an awesome start to the book. This book is notable because he does a little introduction for each story, which I like and he hasn't done before (or much before) that I can recall. He usually just does the one long introduction for everything at the beginning of the book.

Also, I just finished "Batman and Robin Have an Altercation", which aside from being a good story, has an amazing title!

I'm working through this now, have you read "A Death" yet?

I received a $25 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble from my Mom.  Yesterday we ventured into town to spend our gift certs.  I walked out of Barnes and Noble having spent the gift cert *AND* all of the rest of the cash I received for Christmas.  

I'm a junky for Steven Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series of novels (First one was made into the movie Shooter).  Purchased Sniper's Honor yesterday.  I generally avoid hardcovers of serial fiction, but this one was on the clearance rack for $8.  You can't get a softcover at that price anymore so I nabbed it.  Steven Hunter's novels are crack to me.

Also picked up a book I've searched used book stores for years.  Death in the Long Grass, it is a great white hunter sort of book.  Written by Peter Hathaway Capstick.  Details his safaris in late 60's- early 70's Africa.  I remember reading excerpts of this book in Field and Stream Magazine as a kid. I was enthralled by his very descriptive, very flowery style of storytelling.  I assumed this book was long out of print.  Was thrilled to spot it.  Next up is finding copies of Ruark's books of his African adventures.

Grabbed a couple of collections that I consider to be from modern classic authors.  The first collection is the first 5 novels from Edgar Rice Burrows John Carter of Mars series.  Love me some old school science fiction.

The second is 4 novels from Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms, and The Old Man and the Sea.

They had a collection from Heinlein too.  I may go back for that one.  I spent 10 minutes with Heinlein and Burrows in my hands, going back and forth. 

I should be good for awhile.

Edited by We've

I'm working through this now, have you read "A Death" yet?

I'm on the 2nd to last story of the book at the moment.  I liked "A Death".  A few twists and turns in that one.  Was a little disappointed that 3 of the stories are "recycled".  "Ur" previously was a Kindle exclusive.  "Blockade Billy" was already issued as a standalone book with "Morality" included as well.  Enjoyed reading them again regardless.

My favorites so far are "Bad Little Kid", "The Dune", "The Little Green God of Agony", and "Obits", with an honorable mention to "Batman and Robin Have an Altercation".  Good story and title.

I'm on the 2nd to last story of the book at the moment. I liked "A Death". A few twists and turns in that one. Was a little disappointed that 3 of the stories are "recycled". "Ur" previously was a Kindle exclusive. "Blockade Billy" was already issued as a standalone book with "Morality" included as well. Enjoyed reading them again regardless.

My favorites so far are "Bad Little Kid", "The Dune", "The Little Green God of Agony", and "Obits", with an honorable mention to "Batman and Robin Have an Altercation". Good story and title.

I enjoyed "Bad Little Kid" and "The Dune" as well. I didn't like Ur, but I enjoyed the one about the afterlife whose name escapes me (might just be "Afterlife")

I don't think he's great at writing these, but it's King and I'm enjoying them on that fact alone. Will try to finish tonight between periods/after the game, because I just spent $100 on books with a Christmas gift card I received and want to dive into those.

I enjoyed "Bad Little Kid" and "The Dune" as well. I didn't like Ur, but I enjoyed the one about the afterlife whose name escapes me (might just be "Afterlife")

I don't think he's great at writing these, but it's King and I'm enjoying them on that fact alone. Will try to finish tonight between periods/after the game, because I just spent $100 on books with a Christmas gift card I received and want to dive into those.

I finished the book this morning.  I really liked the last story "Summer Thunder".  I'd also have to give an honorable mention to "The Bone Church", since it was a 21 page (on my phone at least) poem.

King's short stories are usually quite good.  This one was definitely a bit different because I got the impression he was putting his spin on different styles of writing.  There were some hits and misses imo.

Now on to Firestarter after my short break from the oldies.

The Girl in the Spider's Web, by David Lagercrantz (a continuation of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by a new author).  Still early in the book to see if it's worthy of Larsson's legacy, but so far, so good.  I love these characters.

Edited by biodork

As of tonight I'm a little over 700 pages into David McCullough's exhausting biography of Harry Truman. He's just defeated Dewey and now I have to pause and consider everything to that point. I'm beginning to feel he might be the most important person to be universally passed-over by an American public that already values its own nation's history in a sorry manner.

I read about Harry and I see everything that Bernie Sanders wishes he was, and that a President of this nation may never be again.

I had no idea. I have been humbled.

The Girl in the Spider's Web, by David Lagercrantz (a continuation of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by a new author).  Still early in the book to see if it's worthy of Larsson's, legacy, but so far, so good.  I love these characters.

Very interested. Is this one of the books based on what Larsson had when he died, or completely new material using the same characters?

The Count of Monte Cristo.

Just started it. Liking it so far.

It's a good read, but there are some chapters in there that ramble. A lot.

Very interested. Is this one of the books based on what Larsson had when he died, or completely new material using the same characters?

I think it's entirely new material (with the same characters), but I'm not 100% sure.  It's so good... I started reading again Sat. night when I was about 1/3 of the way through, and ended up getting sucked into the story and binge-reading to finish the book around 1:45am, lol.  I can't get enough of those characters!

As of tonight I'm a little over 700 pages into David McCullough's exhausting biography of Harry Truman. He's just defeated Dewey and now I have to pause and consider everything to that point. I'm beginning to feel he might be the most important person to be universally passed-over by an American public that already values its own nation's history in a sorry manner.

I read about Harry and I see everything that Bernie Sanders wishes he was, and that a President of this nation may never be again.

I had no idea. I have been humbled.

It's why I get cranky when I mention Truman as an interesting person and President and I am met with blank stares or a discussion about the atomic bomb. 

I've read 3 1/2 books this year so far. I was sick and shirked the internet and my freelance and just read. 

A series of anecdotes of a traveling veterinarian who specializes in horses. Learned a lot of gory stuff... what happens when horse meets rattlesnake, the results of a horse waking up during castration, etc. Also some heartwarming stuff. 

Also read a book about shipwrecks on the Great Lakes that have yet to be raised and Notorious R.B.G, a pretty decent bio of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The book published some of her opinions and casework, but also provided notes to help decipher the legalese.  I didn't know a lot about her. She is a very impressive person. My line of feminist thinking is very close to hers- the idea of equality, that sexism hurts everyone, not just women. It's great to see how far we have come, but it's also depressing to see how far we still have to go.  

Halfway through one on how beverages have shaped humanity and civilization- wine, beer, tea, coffee, etc. Reads more like a text book than I expected, but very interesting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.