What are you currently reading?

darksabre

I'm only a few chapters in to "Ready Player One". Distopian future with millions of people trying to solve an eccentric billionaire's puzzle that's based on 80s video games and culture. The person that solves the puzzle is the heir to his fortune.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-A-Novel/dp/0307887448

After this, Seveneves.

http://www.amazon.com/Seveneves-Novel-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0062190377/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439180111&sr=8-1-spell

I'm only a few chapters in to "Ready Player One". Distopian future with millions of people trying to solve an eccentric billionaire's puzzle that's based on 80s video games and culture. The person that solves the puzzle is the heir to his fortune.

After this, Seveneves.

http://www.amazon.com/Seveneves-Novel-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0062190377/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439180111&sr=8-1-spell

That's an interesting concept. I like dystopian anything.  

That's an interesting concept. I like dystopian anything.  

Finished the book last night, it was a lot lighter on dystopia than I expected, although there is a healthy dose of corporate fascism thrown in. The vast majority of the book is set in an immersive online universe where many people spend all their time because the world is crumbling (or the world is crumbling because they spend so much time online; you decide!). If you've read Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash or Reamde, it's very similar to the online world in those book. Or think The Matrix but people know there's a reality, you're on the right track. It was a fun read with all the 80s references to TV, movies, Anime, and video games (and game systems), but I'd give it a B, which is "I enjoyed it, but I'm not going to go around telling people they have to read it!". The acknowledgements mention something about Warner Bros. and movie rights, so we might see it on the screen down the road.

There's an excerpt from the author's next book, Armada, at the end. In the few pages I read, I think I can give a profile of the author as a young, video game loving guy that dreams of using those skills to save the world. The protagonist is similar to Ready Player One, and I'm guessing it's "write what you know". I can't fault the guy for it, if I was selling books I'd keep writing too.

After this, Seveneves.

Apparently they're making a movie adaptation of Ready Player One. Spielberg's got it going for release in 2017. My coworkers (all die hard gamers) are incredibly pessimistic and skeptical. I need to read it. 

Apparently they're making a movie adaptation of Ready Player One. Spielberg's got it going for release in 2017. My coworkers (all die hard gamers) are incredibly pessimistic and skeptical. I need to read it. 

I could see it translating well to a movie, as the book isn't particularly "deep". Probably 20 minutes of Mad-Max, 10 minutes of small-town America, and 80 minutes WoW and retro gaming.

Edited by MattPie

Currently reading "54-40 or Fight" by Emerson Hough. First edition, © 1909. Josie bought it for me at a used book store a few years ago. It's actually quite a good read. The pace is excellent.

I had a laugh at this page though. Ah what it must have been like to be a writer in the early 1900s.

XeGBiVv.jpeg

Have a favorite scene or character yet Liger? I would ask for theories but honestly, I'm only 2 books ahead of you so far and have yet to make it back to Genabackis 

I just ordered 2 more books.  Book 3 is done. Theories?  Well I think Paran has to help fill out the houses so they can take down the crippled god.  I think WhiskeyJack... well :flirt: .

I also believe that Anomander Rake hasn't even begun to let that big... sword... swing but I think that if it shatters hes :death:

Oh and I think that Duiker is important. 

Also I wish he did more with character development but the interwoven story is amazing.  Things always seem to come full circle.

Oh and Coltaine is one of my favorites along with Itkovian who made me feel feelings.  Also I like Tool... interesting how he turned out at the end of book 3 and how he recognized another favorite in Toc the Anaster. 

Such a fun series.  Oh I love Quick Ben too.

Funny you guys are talking King, I just started reading The Gunslinger with the intent of reading the Dark Tower series straight through.

I've read most (all?) of it before, but it was in bits and pieces over 25 years.

I was in Tennessee for a week so I'm way behind in this conversation but I did this exact same thing three times already. I've started the Gunslinger with intent to read the series but then I haven't finished it each time due to picking busy points in the semester. Also I echo Bio's thoughts on The Stand and It. Must read qwk.

Currently reading Kerry Fraser's book The Final Call.

Has some great anecdotes in it, a good look at NHL players on a human basis. It's Fraser's memoir, and as such it is very self serving. A lot of "I'm so humble- here's another story of how I'm amazing and this NHL superstar said so". If you focus too much on that it can be a little grating at times, but he has moments of humility and a lot of knowledge. I think he's the kind of guy I would love to get a beer with and hear him tell stories- but when writing, things can take a bit of a repetitive tone. Well worth the read. I'm only halfway through it at this point. Would definitely recommend it to any of you who want to hear about which players were really d icks  :)

Edited by Josie914

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time."

I found it on the take a book leave a book shelf of a bed and breakfast. 

I left  Larry McMurtry's "The Last Kind Words Saloon."

Great book man, very interesting writing style that really puts the reader in the characters boots.

just started book 4 of the Malazan series and things are starting to fall into place, I see the rough outline of what could be ahead.  It is a very interesting series thus far.

Just picked up the first two books in that series.

Yessss, more Malazan readers! Not sure which book you're on Liger, but te Edur book is my favorite thus far, because Tehol and Bugg are amazing, and the end is mind blowing. A word of advice for every Malazan reader: pay attention to the beginning of the book. It may seem like nothing, but it always comes back at the end

Edited by WildCard

Yessss, more Malazan readers! Not sure which book you're on Liger, but te Edur book is my favorite thus far, because Tehol and Bugg are amazing, and the end is mind blowing. A word of advice for every Malazan reader: pay attention to the beginning of the book. It may seem like nothing, but it always comes back at the end

Yea, things always come full circle. I am on book 4 which is House of Chains.  Only about 50 pages in thus far.

Seveneves. Plot outline: something causes the moon to break into 7 seven large pieces. The book speculates about how it happens, but so far the cause isn't really part of plot, just that it happened and humanity needs to deal with it. In the near future (years) a lot of matter is going to come raining down on the earth. Most of the book is set on the ISS which is being made into a hodge-podge Ark and command center for a fleet of small ships to try to avoid the bombardment.

So far it seems to be largely science-is-hard based, similar to "The Martian". No Aliens, space fighters, etc., just people trying to make stuff work and save humanity. I'm digging it.

Edited by MattPie

I'm in the middle of The Shining right now.  Never read King before.

I have seen the Kubrick film a good 4 or 5 times.  Can't wait to watch it again when I'm done reading.

Liked this post and the follow up posts since I'm a Stephen King junkie.  I've read all of his books throughout my life and have recently gone back and started at the beginning.  Read Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, and Night Shift recently.  Currently working through The Bachman Books (Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man), which are some very early work of his as well.  He wrote Rage in high school, and The Long Walk in college, for example.

The Dark Tower (Gunslinger) series is one of the best set of books I've ever read.  It's also really interesting how almost all of his books tie into that series one way or another.

Of recent note, he's 2/3 of the way through a trilogy, with the 3rd book coming out soon I hope.  The first 2 were Mr. Mercedes and Finder's Keepers.  Highly recommend these and love how he keeps putting out high quality books year after year.

Liked this post and the follow up posts since I'm a Stephen King junkie.  I've read all of his books throughout my life and have recently gone back and started at the beginning.  Read Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, and Night Shift recently.  Currently working through The Bachman Books (Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man), which are some very early work of his as well.  He wrote Rage in high school, and The Long Walk in college, for example.

The Dark Tower (Gunslinger) series is one of the best set of books I've ever read.  It's also really interesting how almost all of his books tie into that series one way or another.

Of recent note, he's 2/3 of the way through a trilogy, with the 3rd book coming out soon I hope.  The first 2 were Mr. Mercedes and Finder's Keepers.  Highly recommend these and love how he keeps putting out high quality books year after year.

Now I'm all pumped to try and get through The Dark Tower series, except school starts Monday so I don't have time :(

I thought Mr. Mercedes was okay, but something disturbing happened while I read it, something that has never happened to me with King, but I find happens with, say, Dean Koontz. The protagonists were fine at first but got to be insufferably, well, perfect. I doubt anyone has read "From the Corner of His Eye" by Koontz, but the characters are so extremely polarized into idealized concepts, the good characters are literally perfect (A three year old boy can discuss quantum physics) and the bad one is supposed to have no redeeming qualities, no past to draw sympathy, nothing. I found myself hating the good characters and hoping for the bad one to "win", even though it was clear from the onset that he was going to fail, sometimes laughably so. When I read Mr. Mercedes, I felt awful for the retired cop at first, but by the time Janey went to drive his car, I almost couldn't keep reading, I was full of the feeling that Koontz's characters had given me. I no longer liked the ex-cop and Janey, and I felt it wasn't by design, it's not that I didn't like who they were as if it was supposed to be that way, there was nothing about their existence as characters that I enjoyed. I am very bad at using words so this probably doesn't make sense, oh well. Still love King, he's the best. 

I don't know a lot about his writing  (I'm about to start Misery), but I've seen him on a TV interview talking about movies.  The dude just loves art and wants to experience it with people.  He gets it.

I read Misery in one sitting, it was my favorite for a long time.

In regards to Stephen King, it all starts and ends with *It* for me.

What a story ... it really ties in all the scariest thoughts of my youth ... the clown (I am terrified, to this day, of clowns ... the sewers ..........

I'm scared poopless just thinking about it.

Ain't that the truth man! I saw the movie when I was younger, with my mom, and after I was scared poopless from the movie, she made me read the book (my mom always made me read the book if there was a movie made from a book, and I wanted to see the movie...good culturing looking back now).  The book scared me worse lol! 

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

Ain't that the truth man! I saw the movie when I was younger, with my mom, and after I was scared poopless from the movie, she made me read the book (my mom always made me read the book if there was a movie made from a book, and I wanted to see the movie...good culturing looking back now).  The book scared me worse lol! 

Do you mean the TV (if I recall correctly, it was a *made for TV* movie version of the story) with John Boy Walton?  How could John Boy be scary, but maybe I am thinking of some other movie.

I find King books much scarier than any movie version ever made.  He is such a good writer, IMO, that I am really able to become part of the story in my mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.