What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Are you on Veni, vidi, or vici?

N

Not yet, the "Republic" such as it was, is still in tact. I'm around 51 BC and Caesar is still consolidating Gaul, a few massacres here, accepting surrenders there, he's been gone from Rome for nine years and his "friend" Pompey is trying to restore order in a lawless Rome Edited by bob_sauve28

Well worth the time to make the quick trip downtown to pick up Clint's book. He and his wife Joan were very nice and I probably could have stayed and talked with them both all afternoon if there wasn't a line. The gentlemen in front of me did a good job of chewing his ear off before it was my turn, so I complemented him on his boots, took a photo and got on my way.

d77LvLtl.jpg

One gentleman in line was Cliff from the arena formerly known as Sabreland out on Niagara Falls Blvd. He had a framed photo with him of "the incident" (This one: http://ipravda.sk/res/2008/02/12/thumbs/107920-clint-malarchuk-nestandard2.jpg) and recounted the story with Clint about how he was the first person to show Clint that photo after it happened and that Clint had laughed when he was shown the photo.

Clint ended up signing that photo for him years later and he brought it to the signing today to have the glass on the frame signed.

Yikes. Did the guy give Clint fair warning as to what he was about to look at?

Yeah, he was doing everything he could to hide it in line, he didn't want to offend anyone in the store. He asked Clint if he was okay with looking at it and Clint didn't seem bothered by it.

Clint was on the Shredd and Ragan show this morning having a good laugh about the whole incident. Apparently he thought it was pretty funny at the time and didn't really feel the significance of it until much much later.

Well worth the time to make the quick trip downtown to pick up Clint's book. He and his wife Joan were very nice and I probably could have stayed and talked with them both all afternoon if there wasn't a line. The gentlemen in front of me did a good job of chewing his ear off before it was my turn, so I complemented him on his boots, took a photo and got on my way.

d77LvLtl.jpg

One gentleman in line was Cliff from the arena formerly known as Sabreland out on Niagara Falls Blvd. He had a framed photo with him of "the incident" (This one: http://ipravda.sk/re...nestandard2.jpg) and recounted the story with Clint about how he was the first person to show Clint that photo after it happened and that Clint had laughed when he was shown the photo.

Clint ended up signing that photo for him years later and he brought it to the signing today to have the glass on the frame signed.

That's awesome. He was one of my favorite Sabres as a kid (I always went with the more obscure guys for some reason). I've asked for the book for Christmas, so we'll see if I get what I want.

That's awesome. He was one of my favorite Sabres as a kid (I always went with the more obscure guys for some reason). I've asked for the book for Christmas, so we'll see if I get what I want.

The price was very reasonable for 250 pages of content, including 16 pages of photos of Clint throughout his life. There's a picture of him getting his first haircut! :lol:

D4rk's beard game is strong.

Thank you very much. I oiled it today.

• 2 weeks later...

By god buy it and read it. It's not the most eloquent writing in the world, but it's honest. The first half of the book is a lot of backstory but the second half is a whirlwind. You will want to cry. There is no other emotional response to reading the words of a man who has shot himself in the head.

• 5 months later...

I picked this up in Austin earlier this week and started reading it on the plane.  I didn't get to eat at Franklin while in town because the lunch wait was 3+ hours and I did need to go to some of the conference talks that I was in town for.  Highly recommended for all aspiring back yard pit masters.

If you haven't heard of Franklin Barbecue it's an Austin joint that only opens for lunch and they stay open until the meat is gone, usually by 2 PM.  People begin lining up every day around 9 AM just to get a chance to taste some world class barbecue.

Franklin Barbecue: A Meat Smoking Manifesto.

Great read, its been maybe 15 years for me.

I love how they with the kid at every turn of his life because he's too willing to immerse himself into another's will.

"What are you going to do, surround him with enemies all the time?"  "If I have to."

Then you see how much Ender learns from being in Bonzo Madrid's army at first, internally thinking of ways to pick apart his commander's stupid strategies.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.