What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Do you mean the TV (if I recall correctly, it was a *made for TV* movie version of the story) with John Boy Walton?  How could John Boy be scary, but maybe I am thinking of some other movie.

I find King books much scarier than any movie version ever made.  He is such a good writer, IMO, that I am really able to become part of the story in my mind.

the 1990 TV miniseries, yes.  sorry, not 'movie' per say haha.If I'm not mistaken Tim Curry played the clown.  

That clip NS reminded me of the mid eighties when it was an interactive movie going event. The first time I saw it was an eye opener, not so much the movie but the audience participation. The second time we where prepared. If you wanted to participate one needed a squirt gun, popcorn, and the willingness to dance and act out scenes at the front of the theatre. I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole lot 30 years later, but I do remember having a lot of fun!

Now I'm all pumped to try and get through The Dark Tower series, except school starts Monday so I don't have time :(

I thought Mr. Mercedes was okay, but something disturbing happened while I read it, something that has never happened to me with King, but I find happens with, say, Dean Koontz. The protagonists were fine at first but got to be insufferably, well, perfect. I doubt anyone has read "From the Corner of His Eye" by Koontz, but the characters are so extremely polarized into idealized concepts, the good characters are literally perfect (A three year old boy can discuss quantum physics) and the bad one is supposed to have no redeeming qualities, no past to draw sympathy, nothing. I found myself hating the good characters and hoping for the bad one to "win", even though it was clear from the onset that he was going to fail, sometimes laughably so. When I read Mr. Mercedes, I felt awful for the retired cop at first, but by the time Janey went to drive his car, I almost couldn't keep reading, I was full of the feeling that Koontz's characters had given me. I no longer liked the ex-cop and Janey, and I felt it wasn't by design, it's not that I didn't like who they were as if it was supposed to be that way, there was nothing about their existence as characters that I enjoyed. I am very bad at using words so this probably doesn't make sense, oh well. Still love King, he's the best. 

I read Misery in one sitting, it was my favorite for a long time.

I know what you mean about Mr. Mercedes and it's likeness to Koontz.  In my opinion, Stephen King's books, when writing as Richard Bachman, were his Koontz-style books.  Meaning more of an evil, no conscience, human adversary rather than a supernatural one.  I have read "From the Corner of His Eye" and about 10 other Koontz books, so I get your comparison there.  I think that if he were still writing alot as Richard Bachman, that the Mr. Mercedes books would have been released under that name.  

I did get a "The Walking Dead" type vibe with Mr. Mercedes at points in that nothing bad was going to happen to certain people, but I'm hoping that all goes out the window as he completes the trilogy.  The 2nd book, Finder's Keepers, is a slightly different vibe as it doesn't concentrate on Hodges nearly as much, so you would probably like it better.  The whole trilogy will have to be evaluated as a whole, but I think the 3rd book is set up to be an anything can happen scenario.

Fun Fact: Misery was intended to be released as a Bachman book, which makes sense in the human adversary sense I discussed above, but Stephen King was discovered to be Richard Bachman before its release, so it was released under the King name. 

I believe you are correct.  The best casted part.

Oh, you made me do it ...

Awesome!

I saw this movie during the 79/80 school year.  I was a college freshman and it played at the student union.   I went with about 7 girls (co-eds or young women).  None of the guys would go.  The next day, when I described the movie to them, their decision not to go was confirmed in their minds.  I couldn't articulate the essence.   All of the girls were from Long Island and had seen the movie many times.  How cosmopolitan they were!  They dressed and participated.

It was quite a night for a college freshman from Buffalo.   For the younger SabreSpacers, there was no MTV and no meaningful cable tv back in the day.  Imagine this jumping out on a big screen.  It was WAY out there.  Life's funny .....   so edgy a generation ago, so commonplace today.   This movie, though, a trendsetter, will never be common.

Edited by Neo

After a moderate hiatus from reading (no problems, except lack of time), I decided to go with the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series.  Just starting that now...

I have been reading Stephen King since day one.  I read "Carrie" well before the original movie (with John Travolta) was even released.  And I've read almost everything of his since then.  I love the way he can write about a very normal-seeming world and slowly, incrementally change it into a living hell. I think "The Stand" was his magnum opus.  I read the book while staying at a friend's cabin out in the woods for a few days. We had no TV and no phone; it was easy to imagine the outside world going to pieces while we were "safe" out in the woods. The early part of the book when civilization was going to hell scared the crap out of me.

King is really good at writing about prisons - "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" (besides being turned into awesome movies) were excellent at realistic depictions of prisons...well, as realistic as I want to know about as I'm not planning on being in one EVER. 

He also gave one of my favorite interview quotes ever.  When asked about why he was so good at writing such convincing horror stories, he replied, "I guess it's because I have the heart of a twelve year old boy.... in a jar on my desk."

Edited by Sabre Dance

Awesome!

I saw this movie during the 79/80 school year.  I was a college freshman and it played at the student union.   I went with about 7 girls (co-eds or young women).  None of the guys would go.  The next day, when I described the movie to them, their decision not to go was confirmed in their minds.  I couldn't articulate the essence.   All of the girls were from Long Island and had seen the movie many times.  How cosmopolitan they were!  They dressed and participated.

It was quite a night for a college freshman from Buffalo.   For the younger SabreSpacers, there was no MTV and no meaningful cable tv back in the day.  Imagine this jumping out on a big screen.  It was WAY out there.  Life's funny .....   so edgy a generation ago, so commonplace today.   This movie, though, a trendsetter, will never be common.

You are right that the movie was edgy but it was still just a movie, make believe. It was the audience interaction that made me feel like I was doing something radical tinged with immoral. It may seem silly to many, but at the time it was a big thing and going was definitely not part of the normal life of a teenager, at least not one from western NY.

Neo it has to make you smile the same as I do to know what  wild childs we once where are.

Edited by Woods-Racer

After a moderate hiatus from reading (no problems, except lack of time), I decided to go with the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series.  Just starting that now...

I have been reading Stephen King since day one.  I read "Carrie" well before the original movie (with John Travolta) was even released.  And I've read almost everything of his since then.  I love the way he can write about a very normal-seeming world and slowly, incrementally change it into a living hell. I think "The Stand" was his magnum opus.  I read the book while staying at a friend's cabin out in the woods for a few days. We had no TV and no phone; it was easy to imagine the outside world going to pieces while we were "safe" out in the woods. The early part of the book when civilization was going to hell scared the crap out of me.

King is really good at writing about prisons - "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" (besides being turned into awesome movies) were excellent at realistic depictions of prisons...well, as realistic as I want to know about as I'm not planning on being in one EVER. 

He also gave one of my favorite interview quotes ever.  When asked about why he was so good at writing such convincing horror stories, he replied, "I guess it's because I have the heart of a twelve year old boy.... in a jar on my desk."

Good post.  The Stand is next on my chronological list.  It's a little daunting because I know it's going to take awhile since I don't have as much reading time as I used to have.  Most of these books I read so long ago, that re-reading them now is like reconnecting with an old friend.

Awesome!

I saw this movie during the 79/80 school year. I was a college freshman and it played at the student union. I went with about 7 girls (co-eds or young women). None of the guys would go. The next day, when I described the movie to them, their decision not to go was confirmed in their minds. I couldn't articulate the essence. All of the girls were from Long Island and had seen the movie many times. How cosmopolitan they were! They dressed and participated.

It was quite a night for a college freshman from Buffalo. For the younger SabreSpacers, there was no MTV and no meaningful cable tv back in the day. Imagine this jumping out on a big screen. It was WAY out there. Life's funny ..... so edgy a generation ago, so commonplace today. This movie, though, a trendsetter, will never be common.

Ah the memories, great way to pick up girls too. We would go to the midnite movie at the Key Theatre in Georgetown. I was at GW. We would show up at 11 to get our seats and dance to punk rock music and figure out who you were taking home that night. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel. We of course brought rice, toast, squirt bottles.., newspapers etc and laugh at the guy with no fing neck... Sigh good times.

P.S. reading MRI in practice and starting to train. physics keeps the mind young....

Edited by North Buffalo

You are right that the movie was edgy but it was still just a movie, make believe. It was the audience interaction that made me feel like I was doing something radical tinged with immoral. It may seem silly to many, but at the time it was a big thing and going was definitely not part of the normal life of a teenager, at least not one from western NY.

Neo it has to make you smile the same as I do to know what  wild childs we once where are.

Going to Rocky Horror was my coming of age, my bat mitzvah of weirdness, if you will. An entrance into being an art kid.

I was about 14. We have a very old gothy style movie theatre in the local college town and they did Rocky Horror once a month. I went with my mum and sister, dressed up all gothy, was marked a Virgin and had to go through the casts' legs and get spanked. The guy playing riff raff made me sit on his lap for most of it and they forced me to dance onstage multiple times.

One of the dudes ran on stage during a shot of the stormy weather and started screaming GOD ISN'T REAL JESUS WAS A HACK and then a lightning bolt "struck" where he was standing. Played dead.

Fond memories. Good goofy stuff. 14 year old me felt so edgy. 

Excellent, excellent series.  I couldn't put the books down!  I think the next book (by another author, obviously) was targeted for release this month, so I'll have to follow up on that...

Good post.  The Stand is next on my chronological list.  It's a little daunting because I know it's going to take awhile since I don't have as much reading time as I used to have.  Most of these books I read so long ago, that re-reading them now is like reconnecting with an old friend.

Also a great one.  I read a well-worn copy of my parents' after seeing the TV miniseries, and really liked it.

Going to Rocky Horror was my coming of age, my bat mitzvah of weirdness, if you will. An entrance into being an art kid.

I was about 14. We have a very old gothy style movie theatre in the local college town and they did Rocky Horror once a month. I went with my mum and sister, dressed up all gothy, was marked a Virgin and had to go through the casts' legs and get spanked. The guy playing riff raff made me sit on his lap for most of it and they forced me to dance onstage multiple times.

One of the dudes ran on stage during a shot of the stormy weather and started screaming GOD ISN'T REAL JESUS WAS A HACK and then a lightning bolt "struck" where he was standing. Played dead.

That is a great memory to have with your mom and sister!

14 year old you was very edgy!

North Buffalo and Woods - Racer ...

Those were good times.  I DO have memories.  Fortunately, the current situation produces great memories, too ....   although none involve coeds, edgy film, after midnight ... 

A note to the young ...   35 years ago was last week ...

NS .... see what you started?

The family aspect makes it cool!  Hipsters!

North Buffalo and Woods - Racer ...

Those were good times.  I DO have memories.  Fortunately, the current situation produces great memories, too ....   although none involve coeds, edgy film, after midnight ... 

A note to the young ...   35 years ago was last week ...

NS .... see what you started?

Going to (and fully participating in) the Rocky Horror was a right of passage for anyone around aged 50 years now ... myself included.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just hitting the end of book 6 of Malazan ('The Bonehunters'). Hooollllyyyy did it get wild. The last book was probably my favorite of the series because of it's morality, characters, and ending, but this one, book 6, finally brings all of the characters from each book back together. Almost every one of the big characters are significantly featured, the past of many of them is finally revealed, and we get really in depth explanations on a ton of long standing questions, as well as some awesome surprises. All of the most powerful characters get involved and it looks like they're going to start throwing their muscle around. Very excited

Ooh I love when this thread pops up on the recently contributed to list. 

Just finished a couple books, one about the disastrous 1880s expedition of the USS Jeanette in a search for the North Pole and another about avalanches by the head of the Alaskan Mountain Safety center, Jill Fredston. She did a fantastic book I stumbled upon a few months ago in the used book section of B&N about her travels rowing the arctic. Amazing and inspiring. 

Moving on to a book about the women climbers of K2. I don't expect to ever climb or go backwoodsing in Alaska, but man do I sure love reading about it. I find a lot of peace and balance in it- beauty and the abject horror of nature's power versus human's ability to survive. 

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.