2012 Trade Deadline Thread

spndnchz

All this talk about Nash coming to Buffalo. It just seems ridiculous to me that he would want to come here when there will be, probably, PLENTY of Cup contenders (serious ones like Detroit and Boston I'm betting) who will be interested and ready to make the right trade for him, and equally ridiculous that Columbus would want anything from the Sabres in a trade that didn't effectively negate Nash's addition to our team.

But this was probably already brought up so I'll shut it now.

thanks for doing this.

someone had posted that they dont want nash , they would rather have a center.

i can understand that...but nash IS legit. this guy on a real team, could be amazing. he is not just a top

six forward. people were talking about how they would love to see vanek on detroit...well i feel like nash on the sabres would

create that sort of tops in the nhl line. unsure of who the center would be for them, but i would love to see those two guys up front.

Yeah Nash on a real team. Buffalo is far from being a real team. He will have no interest coming here. The guys been on a ###### team his entire NHL career that's why he's had enough and presumably wants to be moved. The last thing he prob wants to do is get moved to another ###### team regardless of how good the ownership is...

TSN is a nice site for info. Don't know much about this guy but Devils get a D-Man.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387874

A bit misleading that story. Wild GM Fletcher says they haven't asked him to waive his no-trade clause.

I'd view it as his agent throwing it out there that he would for the Devils.

TSN is a nice site for info. Don't know much about this guy but Devils get a D-Man.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387874

not a done deal, he only said he would waive his NMC to join the Devils, theres no official deal to send him there yet

What korab said.... I would take vanek over nash most days

You and maybe a handful of other Sabres fans, the rest of the league however might disagree.

Is that a distinction without a difference? Vanek will have 6 30+ goal season after 8 seasons in the league as well.

Statistically, Vanek is every bit Nash's equal - factoring in +/- and post season production, you could argue he is better.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

You assume he will have 2 more seasons of 30+ goals, in those 2 seasons, Nash could also have 2 more 30 goal+ seasons. They are both the same age, but Nash has been in the league for an extra 2 years. I didn't include post season production cause Nash is on a team that only made the psotseason once in his career and was swept, Vanek has played on a better team that has made it further then one round in the playoffs and played in them multiple years. I'm sure if you figured out their averages in the playoffs, it might tell a different story

Haha, that was my first guess.

But seriously it's just an error?! Why would the mods or creator of the site try to get our hopes up with something like that. Roy needs to go and I'll be damned pleased if Darcy finally did something productive by trying to get something for this clown. Coincidence we went on that run last year after he got hurt?

Yup, its some automated feed from another site. They have rumors or something on it and so it gets picked up and put in there. There have been a bunch of Roy, Stafford, Boyes and others to unknown teams, or to teams for unknown in there

As you can see, I clearly don't look at it often lol.

not a done deal, he only said he would waive his NMC to join the Devils, theres no official deal to send him there yet

You and maybe a handful of other Sabres fans, the rest of the league however might disagree.

You assume he will have 2 more seasons of 30+ goals, in those 2 seasons, Nash could also have 2 more 30 goal+ seasons. They are both the same age, but Nash has been in the league for an extra 2 years. I didn't include post season production cause Nash is on a team that only made the psotseason once in his career and was swept, Vanek has played on a better team that has made it further then one round in the playoffs and played in them multiple years. I'm sure if you figured out their averages in the playoffs, it might tell a different story

What evs - they are basically the same player. Great goal scorers who have done it on their own most of their careers. Nash has played two years because the Blue jackets were so bad they had no choice but to play him immediately after being drafted. Vanek went to college instead.

When it comes to post season production for Vanek, I'm talking about the last two years - you know, when he was the sabres' only threat, the other team keyed on stopping him, and the only way they could do it was by damn near chopping his leg off at the knee. He scored five goals in seven games last year, and 3 in 3 the year before. Nash scored 1 in 4 games.

The grass is always greener - Vanek is cheaper and not signed for as long. Nash carries a cap hit of 7.8 mil until he is 34. How much longer will he be a 7.8 mil player? Statistics say not long.

I like Nash - but to say he is hands down better than Vanek is just crazy

What evs - they are basically the same player. Great goal scorers who have done it on their own most of their careers. Nash has played two years because the Blue jackets were so bad they had no choice but to play him immediately after being drafted. Vanek went to college instead.

When it comes to post season production for Vanek, I'm talking about the last two years - you know, when he was the sabres' only threat, the other team keyed on stopping him, and the only way they could do it was by damn near chopping his leg off at the knee. He scored five goals in seven games last year, and 3 in 3 the year before. Nash scored 1 in 4 games.

The grass is always greener - Vanek is cheaper and not signed for as long. Nash carries a cap hit of 7.8 mil until he is 34. How much longer will he be a 7.8 mil player? Statistics say not long.

I like Nash - but to say he is hands down better than Vanek is just crazy

Not quite, he played immediatly cause he was the #1 overall pick, and was good enough to jump into the league right after being drafted. He played in 74 games his rookie year and had 39 points (17 goals and 22 assists). His 2 worst years plus/minus wise were his first 2 seasons in the league (this year would be his 3rd worst), otherwise he has only had 2 years in the minus (-2 and -8) and one year was a plus 11.

I can guarantee that if you were to poll the GM's in the league and ask them who they would rather have on their roster to build around, atleast 9 out of 10 would take Nash over Vanek. Vanek has played on some good Sabres teams over the years, Nash has been stuck on some really Bad Columbus teams for most of his career

Not quite, he played immediatly cause he was the #1 overall pick, and was good enough to jump into the league right after being drafted. He played in 74 games his rookie year and had 39 points (17 goals and 22 assists). His 2 worst years plus/minus wise were his first 2 seasons in the league (this year would be his 3rd worst), otherwise he has only had 2 years in the minus (-2 and -8) and one year was a plus 11.

I can guarantee that if you were to poll the GM's in the league and ask them who they would rather have on their roster to build around, atleast 9 out of 10 would take Nash over Vanek. Vanek has played on some good Sabres teams over the years, Nash has been stuck on some really Bad Columbus teams for most of his career

Like I said, what evs. The stats don't lie. The teams Vanek has played on have been very bad other than his first two years in the league.

Pose the poll to the GM's. I guarantee the results are 50-50. My guarantee is at least as good as yours. I'm sure your country appreciates your support of a canadian boy, though.

Like I said, what evs. The stats don't lie. The teams Vanek has played on have been very bad other than his first two years in the league.

Pose the poll to the GM's. I guarantee the results are 50-50. My guarantee is at least as good as yours. I'm sure your country appreciates your support of a canadian boy, though.

The Sabres haven't reached Very bad when you compare it to what Columbus has had. This is probably the Sabres worst season since the Lockout, and it might be viewed as a good year for the blue jackets. 3 times in their history, have they ever had more then 80 points in a season (80,81 and 92, the only season they made the playoffs). Just to compare, the Sabres in the last decade have only had 3 seasons where they had less then 90 points (one season less then 80)

The Sabres haven't reached Very bad when you compare it to what Columbus has had. This is probably the Sabres worst season since the Lockout, and it might be viewed as a good year for the blue jackets. 3 times in their history, have they ever had more then 80 points in a season (80,81 and 92, the only season they made the playoffs). Just to compare, the Sabres in the last decade have only had 3 seasons where they had less then 90 points (one season less then 80)

You are reaching. If Nash is so much better than Vanek, why can't he overcome the talent gap?

You are reaching. If Nash is so much better than Vanek, why can't he overcome the talent gap?

because theres only so much that you can do without atleast some surrounding talent.

How am I reaching? I simply pointed out that the Sabres have not been nearly as bad in Comparison to the Blue jackets. A bad year for the Sabres would be an upgrade for the Blue Jackets

If vaneks just as good as Nash, why aren't there rumors of teams making offers to try and get him? Why hasn't he made more then one All Star game over his career? Why is he never talked about outside of Buffalo when talking about top Forwards? Why has he never lead the league in scoring? Why has he never been selected to represent his home country in the Olympics?

If vaneks just as good as Nash, why aren't there rumors of teams making offers to try and get him? Why hasn't he made more then one All Star game over his career? Why is he never talked about outside of Buffalo when talking about top Forwards? Why has he never lead the league in scoring? Why has he never been selected to represent his home country in the Olympics?

Why aren't there rumors of teams trying to get him??? Do you remember how he got his contract? Edmonton made him a monster offer when he was a restricted free agent and was essentially ready to give up 4 first round picks for him (in addition to all the money). So you really don't think other teams would want him?

"Why is he never talked about outside of Buffalo?" Are you really presuming to know what is and is not talked about in all the places in the world outside of Buffalo? Really??

And, as pointed out, nice swing and miss on the Olympics point. :doh:

Archived