GDT: Sabres at Canadiens 1/31/12 7:30PM

spndnchz

Well this is certainly an interesting development. I had just assumed he was a placeholder since Adam was already in Montreal. Guess not. Not sure how much of a fan I am of trying him at center for his first game action in a couple months, but with Gerbe and Stafford it certainly has potential to be a fast, exciting line. Not sure if they'll be able to control the puck in the offensive zone worth a damn, but hey, at this point I'll settle for short bursts of excitement from this team.

They had better or they will all be -4 before the second intermission.

Ennis at center tonight between Drew and Gerbe. Interesting line. Has Ennis played center for the Sabres before? (I can't recall him doing so before) ...He seems like a reasonable fit for the position given his skating and playmaking abilities.

TBN says Ennis played center in junior and in the minors.

I agree that it's an interesting line. Holy mackerel would it be great if Stafford emerged from his coma.

Well if Adam goes back to the first line (Vanek - Adam - Pommer) then the third line would have Roy at Center with Leino and ?Boyes?

Which forward sits?

Why do you think Luker is going to the first line? He's been well planted in the doghouse for a while.

I expect:

Roy-Vanek-Pommer

Ennis-Gerbe-Stafford

Leino-Adam-Boyes

Gaustad-Kaleta-Ellis/McCormick

I don't think I'll get a chance to see much of this game and that is a huge disappointment. I am very interested in seeing how this line performs. Now I want Ruff to split up Vanek and Pominville and play Leino on Vaneks line. Vanek is the only player who (used to) go consistently to the front of the net, and Leino always sends the puck through the slot. Could this be our poor man's Giroux - Hartnell combination?

Edit: Embarrasing misspelling of Pominville

We've seen Gerbe and Ennis on the same line together before ... but as wings. This will be .. interesting I hope.

I want to see Lindy put 4 Lines together, and keep them together unless someone on that line gets hurt, for the rest of the season. This team has no chemistry because they have new linemates every single freaking goddang night.

This is one of my biggest peeves about Lindy. Good think he couldn't of coached the Sabres back in the 70's, he'd have Perreault centering for Morris Titanic and Brian Spencer.

I want to see Lindy put 4 Lines together, and keep them together unless someone on that line gets hurt, for the rest of the season. This team has no chemistry because they have new linemates every single freaking goddang night.

This isn't going to happen. All coaches change lines to some extent, but Lindy seems to have an extremely quick trigger finger when it comes to this.

This isn't going to happen. All coaches change lines to some extent, but Lindy seems to have an extremely quick trigger finger when it comes to this.

I think it's far more widespread than most realize. I hear the same exact complaint made from several teams.

I expect:

Roy-Vanek-Pommer

Ennis-Gerbe-Stafford

Leino-Adam-Boyes

Gaustad-Kaleta-Ellis/McCormick

It better be Ellis. You can't bench the hardest worker on a team that is full of undeachievers.

I'm guessing these will be the lines also but I absolutely hate Roy with Vanek. Roy takes Vanek out of his game by taking up his space and lanes on the left side. Vanek out of position tends to get lost in the shuffle. Those games where you think to yourself "Hey where has Vanek been?'' I bet Roy is almost always his center. Besides I can't ever remember Roy and Pomminstein having any chemistry ever. But Ruff will probably force him in there.

Ennis may be a good center for that line if he plays behind the net like Briere can, although that may hamper his defensive assignments. We've seen him be sneaky behind the net and is the only top six forward who can make a move to the net from the wall below the goal line.

I'm glad there is a game on tonight. Life's just better when there is. I'm not looking for anything out of it, either. Just glad to be watching. It will be interesting, though, to see the opening day roster on the ice, if not the opening day lines.

It better be Ellis. You can't bench the hardest worker on a team that is full of undeachievers.

I'm guessing these will be the lines also but I absolutely hate Roy with Vanek. Roy takes Vanek out of his game by taking up his space and lanes on the left side. Vanek out of position tends to get lost in the shuffle. Those games where you think to yourself "Hey where has Vanek been?'' I bet Roy is almost always his center. Besides I can't ever remember Roy and Pomminstein having any chemistry ever. But Ruff will probably force him in there.

Ennis may be a good center for that line if he plays behind the net like Briere can, although that may hamper his defensive assignments. We've seen him be sneaky behind the net and is the only top six forward who can make a move to the net from the wall below the goal line.

Good call on Ellis, and for that matter on Ennis centering the top line too. However, it probably won't happen for Ennis since this is his first game back and first game at center.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but over the break I actually missed watching the sabres, and I'm looking forward to the game tonight, win or lose.

I'm glad there is a game on tonight. Life's just better when there is. I'm not looking for anything out of it, either. Just glad to be watching. It will be interesting, though, to see the opening day roster on the ice, if not the opening day lines.

Good man, both of you.

Courtesy of tsn.ca:

Tonight's Canadiens Line-Up

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

Bourque - Plekanec - Gomez

Kostitsyn - Eller - Blunden

Darche - Engqvist - Weber

Gorges - Subban

Gill - Diaz

Kaberle - Emelin

Price

Budaj