Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Instrumentally, no. Nor Bonham for that matter

What I like in music is what Marc Maron calls the 'Pow moment', when it seems the music explodes in my head. My simplest example is the bridge in Linus and Lucy. If you're ever at a wedding, and the band plays Linus and Lucy, the dance floor will jump up and down when they get to the bridge.

Zepplin creates the pow a lot, Achilles Last Stand is tremendous.  When Page plays a riff (I forget which riff) in 'This Might Get Loud,' you just see The Edge just light up. It's a great moment on film. One of things that creates the pow is proficiency of musicianship, by many great musicians don't do it for me.

Floyd has lot of pow moments for me, the end of Sheep and Echoes are just killer.

Stones? The opening to Give me Shelter is one of the two greatest moments in rock history for me. I think it has to do with Keith syncopating the beat just slightly.

The other greatest moment in rock history? The end of Abbey Road, they give Ringo 8 bars or so, Ringo just totally rocks. The live Beatles music is just electric, and a lot of that I think is because of Ringo.

The only other pow moment created by a drummer for me is Moon on Baba O'Reilly, which ends with Daltry's scream.

So to the quote above, Ringo>Bonham, not even close

Any musician in either the Stones or the Beatles could not sniff the jocks of Jimmy Page or JPJ. This is objective fact and I hate all of you. > : (

I've never really liked Page's herky-jerky style. Technically talented, sure, but not enough flow. That being said, I've barely listened to Zepplin in the past decade or two; I wonder if it'd be different now.

Unfortunately I do not play, Flagg. If I did, it would e piano. It's something I always wanted to learn, just don't know where to start

Start at the very begining, it's a very good place to start. Start with Do - re (ray) - mi (me). If you start at middle C on a piano, the major scale is just the white keys going up. Start playing nursery rhymes to start, they're simple melodies that don't jump intervals much. For piano, check out an app or two to learn the keys and scales to start. If that keeps your interest, you can pick up a cheap keyboard for <$100 to plink around on. If that keeps working, get a nicer keyboard.

I've been thinking about music a lot lately as RosePie is getting to the point where she can repeat songs and almost hold a tune at times. We sing to her a lot, so it makes sense, and I think I'll try putting more structure to it soon and see what happens. I'm already looking at recorders and harmonicas because they're cheap; and I won't lie that I'd enjoy doing more music myself. I just wish I hadn't sold that mediocre guitar a few years ago even if I don't really know how to play it.

I've never really liked Page's herky-jerky style. Technically talented, sure, but not enough flow. That being said, I've barely listened to Zepplin in the past decade or two; I wonder if it'd be different now.

Start at the very begining, it's a very good place to start. Start with Do - re (ray) - mi (me). If you start at middle C on a piano, the major scale is just the white keys going up. Start playing nursery rhymes to start, they're simple melodies that don't jump intervals much. For piano, check out an app or two to learn the keys and scales to start. If that keeps your interest, you can pick up a cheap keyboard for <$100 to plink around on. If that keeps working, get a nicer keyboard.

I've been thinking about music a lot lately as RosePie is getting to the point where she can repeat songs and almost hold a tune at times. We sing to her a lot, so it makes sense, and I think I'll try putting more structure to it soon and see what happens. I'm already looking at recorders and harmonicas because they're cheap; and I won't lie that I'd enjoy doing more music myself. I just wish I hadn't sold that mediocre guitar a few years ago even if I don't really know how to play it.

Oh my god, the future is now. All my old primers, theory and technique books are... apps!!! 

Definitely get your daughter into music. While I kinda hated it as a kid (I was pushed to be competitive rather than just enjoy playing), I've always been proud of my musicianship. I started piano around 5 and didn't quit until I moved away for college. I hope to have a piano again someday so I can really get into again. I was really good when I quit. It... fades quickly. Same with sax. 

Learning piano is tough. I learned classically. Many can just let loose and jam. Learn the scales, learn some chords, get to where you can separate the hands in your brain- it's a cool skill to have. 

Oh my god, the future is now. All my old primers, theory and technique books are... apps!!! 

Definitely get your daughter into music. While I kinda hated it as a kid (I was pushed to be competitive rather than just enjoy playing), I've always been proud of my musicianship. I started piano around 5 and didn't quit until I moved away for college. I hope to have a piano again someday so I can really get into again. I was really good when I quit. It... fades quickly. Same with sax. 

Learning piano is tough. I learned classically. Many can just let loose and jam. Learn the scales, learn some chords, get to where you can separate the hands in your brain- it's a cool skill to have. 

My primers and books are probably at my parents' house in the piano bench of the piano that no one plays, I should go find them. I played from 5-6 until 12-13; I was apparently OK. A friend of mine who was genuinely good later in HS told me she was jealous of me when we were younger. Just another example of my lack of drive, I guess. :)

Oh no doubt. But lyrics matter a lot for me, and so does the raw emotion of the artist. Queen and the Stones did that combination the best IMO. Mercury was like no other when it comes to pouring his soul into a song, and Jagger and the Stones were just so bluesy and soulful. Probably the reason I love old Motown music so damn much.

Honestly I'm amazed lyrics take a backseat for you but you love Rush. Ironically, Rush is incredibly meh for me

Queen's music is simply phenomenal. And stage presence, yeah, Mick and Freddy were two of the most notable, for sure. That's a huge part of what I love about Jimmy/Jimi too, all of these guys looked 20 feet tall up there. (At least they do in video, I obviously haven't seen any of them play live) 

Well on the flip side, if what a singer sounded like was important to me, no way could Rush be that high on my list :lol: I love Geddy, but man, his voice can be rough. 

What I like in music is what Marc Maron calls the 'Pow moment', when it seems the music explodes in my head. My simplest example is the bridge in Linus and Lucy. If you're ever at a wedding, and the band plays Linus and Lucy, the dance floor will jump up and down when they get to the bridge.

Zepplin creates the pow a lot, Achilles Last Stand is tremendous.  When Page plays a riff (I forget which riff) in 'This Might Get Loud,' you just see The Edge just light up. It's a great moment on film. One of things that creates the pow is proficiency of musicianship, by many great musicians don't do it for me.

I think he played "Whole Lotta Love" there. Definitely a great moment. 

Achilles Last Stand is just an example of how incredibly diverse Page could be. That's a thrash metal song. He's played reggae, ten different eras of blues, funk, metal, classic rock. He's played it all.

A cool thing with Achilles Last Stand: In TSRTS, the video of their series of concerts at MSG in 1973, when they bust out a half hour of "Dazed and Confused", at some point Jimmy starts playing a little chicken-picked arpeggio and Bonzo/JPJ adjust to what he's doing, shaking their heads because JPJ accidentally missed a note, came in a half or an eighth of a note too far. The arpeggio is what backs his solo in Achilles Last Stand, officially released years later with Presence. I couldn't believe it when I realized what that was. Every little moment of Zeppelin brings me joy and awe like this. 

This is fair. His style isn't for everyone, he's downright sloppy at times. I loooooooooooove it, though. 

I love JP's herky-jerky style of guitar. It works so well over JPJ's super solid foundation. It also serves as a parallel in some ways with Plant's voice.

But George Harrison will always be my favorite guitarist. It wasn't his technical skill, it was his taste. Most of my favorite Beatles songs are Georges. His guitar runs in Fixing a Hole (a Paul) are incredible, and I think Something is probably my favorite song of all time (thanks in no small part to Paul's bass line).

The Beatles might play not play technically difficult music, but such elegant simplicity is not an uncomplicated feat. I feel like that's why I like Cake more and more and more as time goes on. Everything is so deliberate and controlled.

For those saying they never got into Zep or Zep isn't great: You don't even know what edge is. Or jamming.

I love JP's herky-jerky style of guitar. It works so well over JPJ's super solid foundation. It also serves as a parallel in some ways with Plant's voice.

But George Harrison will always be my favorite guitarist. It wasn't his technical skill, it was his taste. Most of my favorite Beatles songs are Georges. His guitar runs in Fixing a Hole (a Paul) are incredible, and I think Something is probably my favorite song of all time (thanks in no small part to Paul's bass line).

The Beatles might play not play technically difficult music, but such elegant simplicity is not an uncomplicated feat. I feel like that's why I like Cake more and more and more as time goes on. Everything is so deliberate and controlled.

For those saying they never got into Zep or Zep isn't great: You don't even know what edge is. Or jamming.

JPJ has to be one of the most underrated musicians of all time. Hyperbole deserved. The man's a freaking genius.

John Paul Jones. Naval commander in the Revolutionary War. There's a musician named after him.

Are you screwing with me? It feels like you're screwing with me :lol:

John Paul Jones was the name that came to mind, though I have no idea who that actually is

People in here are writing fan fiction revisionist history about JPJ's bass lines.

What have we unleashed?

Like the point you made before, it doesn't have to be music written using complex numbers and the calculus of variations to be incredible. JPJ falls into that category.

I feel like part of that is Zep's fault for having him double JP's parts wayyy too often. I honestly think we could've gotten better Zep bass parts if they just let JPJ improvise every recording session.

You play bass, don't you? What do you think about Geddy Lee's playing? I'm not nearly as good at judging bass playing, but my jaw drops with some of the stuff Geddy can do.

John Paul Jones.  Naval commander in the Revolutionary War.  There's a musician named after him.

Are you screwing with me? It feels like you're screwing with me :lol:

John Paul Jones was the name that came to mind, though I have no idea who that actually is

Eleven is being 100% factual.

Like the point you made before, it doesn't have to be music written using complex numbers and the calculus of variations to be incredible. JPJ falls into that category.

You play bass, don't you? What do you think about Geddy Lee's playing? I'm not nearly as good at judging bass playing, but my jaw drops with some of the stuff Geddy can do.

It works in Rush, but he's venturing close to second lead guitar territory. Depends on your preference, but I prefer JPJ or Entwistle's (and McCartney too) style far more than Geddy's (even if Geddy is awesome). It complements the music and makes it sound good without being showy. I'm partial to a groove more than a solo.

EDIT: OK, so this is really cool, someone posted up an isolated bass track of a live Who performance showing how awesome Entwistle is. This is the original full mix from the same show:

This is the isolated bass track (the must have recorded it multitrack at the time):

His playing is so technical at times, but it blends in with the song so well you almost don't notice unless you really listen for it. If you're impatient, check out the stuff around 7:00.

Edited by MattPie

Red Hot Chili Peppers random aside:

Flea always talked a lot about how he had to learn that less is more when it comes to bass lines. I think he was right to a point. I think RHCP got away from what I liked so much about them. By The Way is a beautiful album that worked perfectly with Flea's more reserved style. But Stadium Arcadium, I'm With You, and whatever their new album is called has too much guitar driven stuff and not enough FUNKY BASSSSS.

I think flashy bass driven music is a lot more my taste, and it needs to be paired with a guitarist that adds mostly texture. This is why Dave Navarro was the best guitarist for RHCP. The perfect Yang to Flea's Ying.

Red Hot Chili Peppers random aside:

Flea always talked a lot about how he had to learn that less is more when it comes to bass lines. I think he was right to a point. I think RHCP got away from what I liked so much about them. By The Way is a beautiful album that worked perfectly with Flea's more reserved style. But Stadium Arcadium, I'm With You, and whatever their new album is called has too much guitar driven stuff and not enough FUNKY BASSSSS.

I think flashy bass driven music is a lot more my taste, and it needs to be paired with a guitarist that adds mostly texture. This is why Dave Navarro was the best guitarist for RHCP. The perfect Yang to Flea's Ying.

In before mid-evening Eleven: Yin.