Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

We got the SBU Observatory up and running again, this is Jupiter and four moons, taken just by holding a phone up to the lens. In person we could see the Great Red Spot and the weather/cloud systems. Awesome night.

They used to have astronomy classes at BU looking at stuff in the sky while on top of one of the buildings on campus.  Of course, they were in the middle of the city and Fenway Park was less than a mile away.  Thanks to all that light pollution, the classes pretty much turned into, "hey, you see that thing right there? that's the moon".  They never did plan that out too well.

And as for awesome, I'm supposed to be getting a new niece tomorrow.

I've got something awesome to share.

I've been playing a beginners league at thomas creek in Fairport for awhile. This will be my last session as beginner- I'll be moving up as soon as my schedule allows. And while that's cool, the awesome part is this:

This Spring session has 17 women in it. We outnumber the men. In the past, it's been a max of 6 ladies, with only myself and one other on my team. 17!!!!! All from different leagues in the area, all ages, some brand new, others have played more. We have to have 2 whole locker rooms!!!

We all came to the consensus that most of us would have started playing earlier if we'd known how to get into entry level leagues. There's pressure in being new and joining an all men's beer league or low level team. You stick out. It's kind of tough to overcome. Women DO want to play hockey. I know the vast majority of the posters here are totally on board with that, but I feel it's something largely ignored by most hockey fans.  

Really looking forward to knowing some more hockey girls around here. Last session had some very high ego, nasty dudes in it who ended up brawling/punching the ref Sunday night. This'll be a niiiiice change of pace :) 

I've been playing a beginners league at thomas creek in Fairport for awhile. This will be my last session as beginner- I'll be moving up as soon as my schedule allows. And while that's cool, the awesome part is this:

This Spring session has 17 women in it. We outnumber the men. In the past, it's been a max of 6 ladies, with only myself and one other on my team. 17!!!!! All from different leagues in the area, all ages, some brand new, others have played more. We have to have 2 whole locker rooms!!!

We all came to the consensus that most of us would have started playing earlier if we'd known how to get into entry level leagues. There's pressure in being new and joining an all men's beer league or low level team. You stick out. It's kind of tough to overcome. Women DO want to play hockey. I know the vast majority of the posters here are totally on board with that, but I feel it's something largely ignored by most hockey fans.  

Really looking forward to knowing some more hockey girls around here. Last session had some very high ego, nasty dudes in it who ended up brawling/punching the ref Sunday night. This'll be a niiiiice change of pace :)

Pretty cool.

I hope that they called the cops/lifetime ban that guy.

Pretty cool.

I hope that they called the cops/lifetime ban that guy.

He got banned. No cops involved. He'd been spoiling for a fight all session. I mean seriously, who the hell drops their gloves in a beginner league? I tried to help pull him off the first person he went after, but I'm afraid I was like a gnat trying to stop an enraged 280 pound human rhino. 

All his buddies were fired up the rest of the night. One of them, on my line, kept hacking and slashing at people trying to get another one going. I ended up pretty much playing keep away from my own teammates so they wouldn't have a reason to shove people around. It's hilarious in retrospect.

Nice! My sister finally bought pads and has been going to a beginner league for a few weeks now.

And congrats on your soon to be niece, shrader.

He got banned. No cops involved. He'd been spoiling for a fight all session. I mean seriously, who the hell drops their gloves in a beginner league? I tried to help pull him off the first person he went after, but I'm afraid I was like a gnat trying to stop an enraged 280 pound human rhino. 

All his buddies were fired up the rest of the night. One of them, on my line, kept hacking and slashing at people trying to get another one going. I ended up pretty much playing keep away from my own teammates so they wouldn't have a reason to shove people around. It's hilarious in retrospect.

Wow.  Buncha rubes.

I'll take it one step further.  Seriously, who drops their gloves at any level of beer league hockey?  It takes a special breed of moron for that.  Clearly this guy has some Boston in his blood.

I'll take it one step further.  Seriously, who drops their gloves at any level of beer league hockey?  It takes a special breed of moron for that.  Clearly this guy has some Boston in his blood.

Not just fighting, but punching a ref. That's a line you just don't cross.

D4rk just showed up in my Linkedin "you might know" feed. This leads to the following conclusions:

1. Linked is using NSA spy dragnet techniques to pair users, this forum is literally our only possible connection.
  2. The world is significantly smaller than I ever imagined.
  3. D4rk's linked in photo is amazing and needs to be the Default Avatar.

D4rk just showed up in my Linkedin "you might know" feed. This leads to the following conclusions:

1. Linked is using NSA spy dragnet techniques to pair users, this forum is literally our only possible connection.

That is crazy. I don't even use the same email or anything for Linkedin that I do here. 

Glad you like my photo  :lol:

Or: Buffalo is a largest small town in America. I see it on Facebook a fair bit, people I know that shouldn't know each other are mutual friends and whatnot.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

We got the SBU Observatory up and running again, this is Jupiter and four moons, taken just by holding a phone up to the lens. In person we could see the Great Red Spot and the weather/cloud systems. Awesome night.

That's from the Bona telescope?  I never even saw anybody go in that building.  I figured it never worked!

That's from the Bona telescope? I never even saw anybody go in that building. I figured it never worked!

Yep, it hasn't been used much recently but we had received 3 new telescopes a few years ago so we decided to take them out and get everything going again, and are in the process of making the club official. Real exciting.