Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Went in the other direction and caught Lake Ontario perch. Destined for the fry pan.

Watch out for the bones - sounds like a delightful day and dinner.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.

Woolen mittens are itchy - how about a nice soft cotton sock instead?

Watch out for the bones - sounds like a delightful day and dinner.

I don't get out fishing with the kid nearly enough. Starting the Spring off on the right foot. Perch today and we'll find a nice day next week to prowl the trout streams. Soon enough after that it's turkey season and then the woodchucks will come a callin'....

There is no substitute for a double bladed safety razor, both for economy and quality of shave. Get a seriously heavy duty stainless steel safety razor like one of these: http://www.westcoast...-43C_p_829.html and enjoy it for the rest of your life. Seriously, you will pass the thing down to your kids (preferably a son).

Get a $1.00 package of double sided razors from your local grocery store, a container of shaving gel, and go to town. I used to change razor blades regularly, but I found that once you get your face toughened up a little you can make a blade last a long time. I now change blades every 2-3 months, and I have never been happier.

I have tried electrics, tried disposables, tried the expensive disposables, and they all suck. Get a real razor, feel like a man, a reap the savings the rest of your life.

Razors get dull from rusting more than from cutting hair. You can prevent them from rusting by spraying them with the no-scrub shower cleaner. I spent $3 on a store brand shower cleaner and it keeps disposable razors sharp for months. Just rinse it, spray it, shake off the excess, and store the razor with the blade edges pointing up to drain away from the edges. Works like a charm.

I wish I didn't have to wait until Friday to post this.

Got a call from a local fuel tanker trucking company that wants to hire me on. Gets me home every night. 12 hour shifts. 5 days a week. Pay would be about the same (if not more). Granted, the responsibilities are greater because of the product I'd be hauling and delivering, but it sure beats being out on the road for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Got a call from a local fuel tanker trucking company that wants to hire me on. Gets me home every night. 12 hour shifts. 5 days a week. Pay would be about the same (if not more). Granted, the responsibilities are greater because of the product I'd be hauling and delivering, but it sure beats being out on the road for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Congrats, XC!

And are 12 hr days normal? That sounds rough but having weekends and getting to sleep in your own bed at night is nice.

Congrats, XC!

And are 12 hr days normal? That sounds rough but having weekends and getting to sleep in your own bed at night is nice.

It is for this line of work. They were up front about it with me. As it is, DOT regs allow for no more than 14 hour workdays, so this actually goes under the wire.

As for being in my own bed each and every night, I can't wait. I've been out on the road for almost 9 years. I'm done with the Interstates and being hundreds of miles away from home. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see my wife's reaction when I broke the news to her earlier today.

Glad to hear it :thumbsup:

Congrats, that's fantastic. :beer:

It is for this line of work. They were up front about it with me. As it is, DOT regs allow for no more than 14 hour workdays, so this actually goes under the wire.

As for being in my own bed each and every night, I can't wait. I've been out on the road for almost 9 years. I'm done with the Interstates and being hundreds of miles away from home. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see my wife's reaction when I broke the news to her earlier today.

hey man! congrats on the potential new gig! that's awesome!

out of curiosity, when did it switch to 14? i had to study up on HOS regs a few years back, and at the time, the reg was no more than 16 in a 24 hour period, with a minimum 8 hours rest in between periods. i take it that's changed now?

whatever. congrats!

hey man! congrats on the potential new gig! that's awesome!

out of curiosity, when did it switch to 14? i had to study up on HOS regs a few years back, and at the time, the reg was no more than 16 in a 24 hour period, with a minimum 8 hours rest in between periods. i take it that's changed now?

whatever. congrats!

This happened in 2004, and it's been fought out in the courts ever since then. All the different interest groups that are involved have their own grievances on the matter, and have turned it into a circus (not in a good way either). Having said that, the long of it and the short of it is that I am allowed no more that 11 hours to drive in a 14 hour period. After that 14 hours is up, I have to take a 10 hour break. If I max out my 70 hours allowed over 8 days, it is possible that I could take what is known as a 34 hour restart and that will restart my 70 hour clock.

I hope this best explains it for those who aren't in the trucking industry.

1. Small folk concert that I went to see at 7 (I don't even love folk, but these guys were great).

2. Winning a trivia contest at about 11.

3. Egg, smoked swiss, and herring sandwich on rye. Not kidding. Freaking terrific late-night snack. It sure beats a slice from, well, from anywhere.

1. Small folk concert that I went to see at 7 (I don't even love folk, but these guys were great).

2. Winning a trivia contest at about 11.

3. Egg, smoked swiss, and herring sandwich on rye. Not kidding. Freaking terrific late-night snack. It sure beats a slice from, well, from anywhere.

All I've ever heard about herring was that my dad and his sisters were always forced to eat pickled herring on New Years by their grandmother.

But this, this is intriguing. Describe...herring.

All I've ever heard about herring was that my dad and his sisters were always forced to eat pickled herring on New Years by their grandmother.

But this, this is intriguing. Describe...herring.

It can be canned, pickled, smoked, and, one would think, fresh. I've had the first three. I go with pickled or canned. The pickled ones are usually in the kosher section (I have no idea why--I mean, chocolate is kosher, but it's in the normal aisles) of your local Weg. The smoked and canned, I've picked up at Spar's, which is an incredibly awesome Central European market in the Black Rock neighborhood of Buffalo. (That's where the smoked Swiss cheese is from, too.)

It can be canned, pickled, smoked, and, one would think, fresh. I've had the first three. I go with pickled or canned. The pickled ones are usually in the kosher section (I have no idea why--I mean, chocolate is kosher, but it's in the normal aisles) of your local Weg. The smoked and canned, I've picked up at Spar's, which is an incredibly awesome Central European market in the Black Rock neighborhood of Buffalo. (That's where the smoked Swiss cheese is from, too.)

I wonder if I can get something of a similar variety at the public market here in Roc. I know I can get pickled at wegmans.

I do share an affinity for sardines in a can. Especially with a little franks red hot. I'd probably like herring. :blush:

I wonder if I can get something of a similar variety at the public market here in Roc. I know I can get pickled at wegmans.

I do share an affinity for sardines in a can. Especially with a little franks red hot. I'd probably like herring. :blush:

The pickled is a lot different than sardines. It's pretty unique and to a certain degree an aquired taste. My one girlfriend remarked "Ugh, the things I put in my mouth for you." on first try. I too always had it at Christmas Eve and New Years Eve dinner, it's a Polish tradition.

The pickled is a lot different than sardines. It's pretty unique and to a certain degree an aquired taste. My one girlfriend remarked "Ugh, the things I put in my mouth for you." on first try. I too always had it at Christmas Eve and New Years Eve dinner, it's a Polish tradition.

She sounds like a keeper! :thumbsup:

Is it a tradition? Only two members of my family would even dare touch that stuff at Christmas time (well, one is gone now, so we're down to only one). Maybe the older family members who have been gone for 20+ years now enjoyed the stuff but I was too young to notice.

Is it a tradition? Only two members of my family would even dare touch that stuff at Christmas time (well, one is gone now, so we're down to only one). Maybe the older family members who have been gone for 20+ years now enjoyed the stuff but I was too young to notice.

I forget what it's called, but I believe there's a traditional 7-course feast for Christmas Eve, of which pickled herring is one. We do a shortened version at our house, mushroom soup, herring, potatoes from the dutch oven, and pierogi. I think kaputzka is supposed to be in there somewhere, but my side of the family doesn't do that.

I forget what it's called, but I believe there's a traditional 7-course feast for Christmas Eve, of which pickled herring is one. We do a shortened version at our house, mushroom soup, herring, potatoes from the dutch oven, and pierogi. I think kaputzka is supposed to be in there somewhere, but my side of the family doesn't do that.

How could you forget Wigilia!

My mom used to be big on some thing where you had to have an odd number of foods in your meal. It must have been closely related to that. I'd always cheat it though. If I had an even number, my glass of milk would also count. If I was already at even, the milk didn't count.