Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Speaking of food, has anyone tried haggis?

No, I missed the Haggis ride down here awhile back and haven't had a chance to get back over to NJ for that purpose. I made a 'haggis-inspired meatloaf' recently, which was fine but nothing special.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/recipes/haggis-meatloaf/article1880640/

I wish I didn't have to wait until Friday to post this.

Got a call from a local fuel tanker trucking company that wants to hire me on. Gets me home every night. 12 hour shifts. 5 days a week. Pay would be about the same (if not more). Granted, the responsibilities are greater because of the product I'd be hauling and delivering, but it sure beats being out on the road for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Congrats!

Speaking of things that are awesome, XC, that Avatar :thumbsup:

I'm glad you liked it. Now, as long as the Caps lose the next two and we win the rest of ours, I'm going to make that my profile pic over on Facebook once it's all set in stone. I can't wait for my MIL and her other son in law to see that b/c they're really big into AO.

I love all these Buffalonians getting bent out of shape over that video. Um...Dyngus Day is exactly what AC said it is...a completely random excuse to drink (and party). It's like the Polish St. Patrick's Day.

Of course it's stupid. That's why it's cool. :thumbsup:

I love all these Buffalonians getting bent out of shape over that video. Um...Dyngus Day is exactly what AC said it is...a completely random excuse to drink (and party). It's like the Polish St. Patrick's Day.

Of course it's stupid. That's why it's cool. :thumbsup:

And Boston has Patriots Day next week. Everyone stands around drinking while athletic people run 28 miles. Everyone has their excuses to drink. I've just never understood why St. Patrick's Day got the iconic status among all those days.

Dyngus Day at the terminal.

i have a *lot* of fun memories of the terminal before all the restoration. we used to sneak in and climb up to the top, pop the hatch, and hang out on the parapets (literally, hanging out, as on sitting on the edge).. got some great night shots of downtown (though this was 17-18 years ago with a not-so-great point and shoot.).

LOVED.

anyway, on my list of things that are awesome is ibuprofen and water. i've had wicked, excruciating back pain (again) since tuesday morning, keeping me up until 1 am tuesday night/wedensday morning. my family is in a mode where we're trying natural remedies before we'll automatically reach for the OTC meds, and to their credit, some of them worked, just not well enough. and not for nearly long enough. at least with ibuprofen, i know that i'm going to get direct results for 8-12 hours. with these natural remedies, i have to use them every hour or so. anyway, finally caved and took some ib around 1 am, and ended up falling asleep.

Edited by Chris_in_UT

Old time barbers! I went to get a haircut on my lunch break, and decided I'd try out this barber down here in Elmira near where I work. The guy was awesome, best haircut I've had in a long time, and he even trimmed my goatee, and used the single edge razor to shave the back of my neck and around my ears. Awesome! The attention to detail that he paid. It was the best $15 (12+tip) I've ever spent. I found myself a new barber, plain and simple. No more of that supercuts/mastercuts crap.

Not to mention the company that's in an old time barber shop. The old timers shooting the breeze: great time, great stories. I felt like I needed a cooler of beer to just sit and listen to their stories. anyways. I digress.

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

Old time barbers! I went to get a haircut on my lunch break, and decided I'd try out this barber down here in Elmira near where I work. The guy was awesome, best haircut I've had in a long time, and he even trimmed my goatee, and used the single edge razor to shave the back of my neck and around my ears. Awesome! The attention to detail that he paid. It was the best $15 (12+tip) I've ever spent. I found myself a new barber, plain and simple. No more of that supercuts/mastercuts crap.

Not to mention the company that's in an old time barber shop. The old timers shooting the breeze: great time, great stories. I felt like I needed a cooler of beer to just sit and listen to their stories. anyways. I digress.

I got a place here in Penfield that I go to. It's worth the drive because they always do a good job. It's so hard to find a good barber these days.

Ahh yes, the old time barbershop. I have many fond memories of the shop I frequented in Hamburg growing up. The fridge was always stocked with beer and liquor for the regulars, a good assortment of playboys available for your perusal, and a tape of The Godfather on constant loop in the VCR. Plus great sports talk, local gossip and off color jokes. A place where men can be men.

Spot Shot carpet stain remover for pets

While I wish I didn't have to use it as often as I do (see Complaint Thursday thread), this stuff really works well. Non-toxic and biodegradable, too. I actually tried it on a carpet stain that was on my stairs when I bought my house (almost 6 years ago) out of curiousity, and it came up right away! Amazing.

Oh, and this:

http://youtu.be/ZUG9qYTJMsI

Awesome: Friend calling you with last minute Springsteen tix at 530 pm.

More awesome: Another friend upgrading those tix from 305 to--not floor, but pit. PIT. As in, here's the one wristband to get you on the floor, and here's the other one to get you right up against that stage. Wow.

That's a F'N fantastic Friday, folks, but that thread is closed.

I'll be able to hear again sometime next week. It was worth seeing Bruce play the guitar as close as if it were a concert in a coffee house.

Edited by Eleven

Local honey. Not a stitch of allergies so far this year and my driveway is green with pollen.

I bought it with a completely open mind, yet thoroughly expecting it to not work.

Even at $8.50 a bottle, I'm sold,.. it's still way cheaper than Zyrtec.

Wait, are you saying if I eat local honey, it'll make me immune to seasonal allergens?

Yep. I take about a tablespoon a day. Of course I had to make some sort of drink out of my "medicine". I heat up about a shot and a half of whiskey in the microwave (about 20 secs) then dissolve the honey in it, then pour a beer into it.