Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Unfortunately there is now a truck driver with an accident on his record. They lose jobs that way.

There are signs all over the Thruway that say keep right except to pass. Pickup truck needed to make his pass and move over, idiot in a Camaro or no.

I'm sure this won't hit his record... Let's not act like there are old-fashioned dictators running these truck companies that will just ignore the clear evidence that he was completely blameless and did nothing wrong...

I'm sure this won't hit his record... Let's not act like there are old-fashioned dictators running these truck companies that will just ignore the clear evidence that he was completely blameless and did nothing wrong...

I'm not so sure.  Do you know what his prior history is? Does his boss ever get to see this video?  Incidents like these have consequences beyond the guy in the Camaro learning a lesson.

There is more to it.  that truck driver just got all of his records scrutinized by the trooper investigating the accident.  Any dings that show up are on him, and its all because of the pickup and camaro, but the semi driver is the one getting his records gone through with a fine toothed comb.

Edited by weave

I'm not so sure. Do you know what his prior history is? Does his boss ever get to see this video? Incidents like these have consequences beyond the guy in the Camaro learning a lesson.

Of course his boss gets to see this video. It's not going to be on a piece of papyrus that has to cross the seven seas to get the proper stamps to return to a PO Box in Togo.

Of course his boss gets to see this video. It's not going to be on a piece of papyrus that has to cross the seven seas to get the proper stamps to return to a PO Box in Togo.

See my edit.  If that trucker is 10 minutes over the limit for driving time he's fecked.  Or any one of a number of little details not just right.

This video exists... The trucker probably isn't facing any major setbacks aside from the fact that he was just involved in a nasty little crash.

I know police have a history of ignoring obvious video evidence, but I don't think this trucker's boss is that foolish nor do I think they're going to comb through his records for absolutely no reason.

This argument is completely aside from the point... This isn't the trucker's fault (the big rig or the pickup). The Camaro guy is at fault. If he's not a dick nothing happens. The obvious follow is "if the pickup..." but that's a probably, not a definite. The Camaro is THE here.

Not this douchebag in Batavia

2 people that we can hope don't end up having children.

I'd put about 95% of the blame on the Camaro driver; but the pickup driver deserves about 70% of the blame. (Yeah, not = to 100%, what's the point. Well more than enough stupidity to go around.) Hopefully the trucker was ok. And hopefully BOTH pinheads got the book thrown at them.

Pickup truck driver needs to know his role. If you aren't passing in the passing lane, then get out of the passing lane. No sense in trying to be a big shot with a driver who is obviously not interested in anyone's safety. Camaro douche was already a big enough problem. I bet pickup truck guy thinks if more people had guns there'd be less crime.

+1

This video exists... The trucker probably isn't facing any major setbacks aside from the fact that he was just involved in a nasty little crash.

I know police have a history of ignoring obvious video evidence, but I don't think this trucker's boss is that foolish nor do I think they're going to comb through his records for absolutely no reason.

This argument is completely aside from the point... This isn't the trucker's fault (the big rig or the pickup). The Camaro guy is at fault. If he's not a dick nothing happens. The obvious follow is "if the pickup..." but that's a probably, not a definite. The Camaro is THE ###### here.

I mostly agree with your last paragraph, but disagree with your premise that because the trucker was an innocent that he isn't under scrutiny here.  He absolutely is.  His driving log got checked automatically.   So did the setup of his rig.  Any dings show up and he's toast.   It has to be checked because it is going to be part of the accident investigation report. It will be sent to the NHTSA. 

If truck moves over, accident does not happen.  Semi driver does not get scrutinized. It is self evident.

Edited by weave

I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph, but disagree with your premise that because the trucker was an innocent that he isn't under scrutiny here. He absolutely is. His driving log got checked automatically. So did the setup of his rig. Any dings show up and he's toast. It has to be checked because it is going to be part of the accident investigation report. It will be sent to the NHTSA.

If truck moves over, accident does not happen. Semi driver does not get scrutinized. It is self evident.

I've been on the Google machine looking for something that says the logs are absolutely required by law to be a part of the accident report and I'm not finding anything saying that...

Most law offices request that their clients put in a request for the driver logs as soon as possible as they can be deleted/destroyed after a certain time. Why would they need to request the driver logs if they're required to be a part of the accident report? The accident report is part of the evidence. If the log is part of the initial report then there is never a need to request it.

This is a complete aside and could continue in PMs if you're interested because I legitimately am. What you're saying makes sense, but I'm not finding anything to support it.

I've been on the Google machine looking for something that says the logs are absolutely required by law to be a part of the accident report and I'm not finding anything saying that...

Most law offices request that their clients put in a request for the driver logs as soon as possible as they can be deleted/destroyed after a certain time. Why would they need to request the driver logs if they're required to be a part of the accident report? The accident report is part of the evidence. If the log is part of the initial report then there is never a need to request it.

This is a complete aside and could continue in PMs if you're interested because I legitimately am. What you're saying makes sense, but I'm not finding anything to support it.

I've got 2 family members and a next door neighbor that drive over the road.  My knowledge comes from what they've told me of their experiences.  Minor fender benders that they are victims of resulted in full inspections of their logs, the current safety status of the rigs they were driving, etc.  

I didn't intent to imply that the logs themselves go in the report.  But any dings that show up in those logs or in inspection of the rig sure will.  It is simple due diligence for a trooper investigating to make sure the trucker was legal and had all his i's dotted.

Edited by weave

I've got 2 family members and a next door neighbor that drive over the road.  My knowledge comes from what they've told me of their experiences.  Minor fender benders that they are victims of resulted in full inspections of their logs, the current safety status of the rigs they were driving, etc.  

I didn't intent to imply that the logs themselves go in the report.  But any dings that show up in those logs or in inspection of the rig sure will.  It is simple due diligence for a trooper investigating to make sure the trucker was legal and had all his i's dotted.

Ah, alright. That would make sense. Sometimes I'm a bit blinded by the hope that strong evidence will supersede the process. The trucker was fine in what he did. I would hope that officials could look at the video, show sympathy for his poor luck and send him on his way (in another vehicle, obviously).

Ah, alright. That would make sense. Sometimes I'm a bit blinded by the hope that strong evidence will supersede the process. The trucker was fine in what he did. I would hope that officials could look at the video, show sympathy for his poor luck and send him on his way (in another vehicle, obviously).

I would hope so as well, but you know chances are you won't get sympathy and sent on your way if your inspection was expired when that chick texting on her cell phone sideswiped you on the way home.

I put it 50/50.

Camaro was an idiot.

Pickup was an a$$hole.

I won't quite go to 50/50 but a good amount of blame does go to that pickup driver.  He was being a dick and toying with that Camaro.  The guy pulled up on his ass so he decided to parallel that truck.  The right lane was wide open beyond the truck but he decided to mess with the guy.  Don't play games on the road people.  It's too easy for things to turn to catastrophe.

I hope no one was seriously hurt, or worse, in that crash.  No one deserves that for being stupid.

The Camaro driver is a d-bag for sure, but the pickup driver should be accountable for encouraging that d-bag.

He / she should have gotten out of his / her way since it is clear that they are a jerk.  Let the jerk go and don't encourage the jerk to be even more jerky.

May I weigh in? The original move by the pickup is debatable. The Camaro tried to pass on the right, so the pickup sped up and cut him off. Given the subsequent behavior of the pickup, it's hard to defend the cut-off as innocent. But I thought maybe the pickup was trying to avoid a collision and/or didn't want to slam on his brakes and get rear-ended.

The Recorder's behavior is not without fault as well. He was definitely following too closely, though that had nothing to do with the accident. OK, maybe there's a slight chance the Camaro driver looked in his rear-view mirror and felt egged on by The Recorder, "Come on, pickup dude... you're killing everyone here." In a perfect world, the truck driver also would have recognized what was going on and slowed down enough to allow the Camaro to pass.

OTOH, what if the pickup thought he was doing a public service by slowing up the Camaro? What if he passes the truck, gets in the right lane and watches as the Camaro causes a school bus to crash?

On a final note, I find it interesting that there's an assumption, including by me, that these are male drivers. NS nailed it: he or she...

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

OTOH, what if the pickup thought he was doing a public service by slowing up the Camaro? What if he passes the truck, gets in the right lane and watches as the Camaro causes a school bus to crash?

Maybe it's a cold way to look at things, but if your scenario plays out, I say the pickup driver did his/her job because s/he was not involved in the accident.

And damn you for making me type out those gender options.  Too many extra keys! :wallbash: :P

Any news coverage of the crash? Was it in the Batavia Bugle? Who got cited? What could they get the pickup driver for? I don't see what she did wrong (in the eyes of the law).

I can't imagine there was anything wrong legally, unless he's well below the speed limit at that point (not sure what the law's view is on that).  Following the law and being a duchebag are not mutually exclusive though.