Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

My blood pressure was 120/80. I've had recent readings of 160/120. I can't point to anything other than my newborn. I think he has zapped all the stress out of my body. I was consistently 140+/90+. I feel amazing.

Noice. I think you had another change in your lifestyle recently that is most likely helping as well.

The voice of experience.

I raised many blood pressure readings over my time and I know it won't be fun at times, but I want the same thing from any future kid of mine.

And back to my comments last week about the vultures. They've been perched on the water tower each morning so far this week. There's too many to count. Today I noticed that they're not just up on the top though, there were also a bunch scattered throughout the legs of the tower. I may have to pull over and count them because now I'm thinking my original number of around 50 may actually be too low.

Okay, so the complaint thread is closed and I don't know where to stick this. For those of you in college, does the world revolve around your bio majors like it does here? Sheesh they're entitled and obnoxious. No quiet hours for them. Curious as to what subject is the most difficult to study in the world? Don't worry, the bio kids will let you know. At 1 am. What's the hardest class the university offers? Whatever major-related class they happen to be in that semester.

Then they get to their required Physics 100 level courses, and crap their pants, and whine and complain and oh it's the professor's fault, and much whining later they bribe their way to an A.

Grrrr.

No offense to Biodork, Bio, I would be honored to maybe attain a quarter of your science knowledge and skill in my lifetime :blush:

Okay, so the complaint thread is closed and I don't know where to stick this. For those of you in college, does the world revolve around your bio majors like it does here? Sheesh they're entitled and obnoxious. No quiet hours for them. Curious as to what subject is the most difficult to study in the world? Don't worry, the bio kids will let you know. At 1 am. What's the hardest class the university offers? Whatever major-related class they happen to be in that semester.

Then they get to their required Physics 100 level courses, and crap their pants, and whine and complain and oh it's the professor's fault, and much whining later they bribe their way to an A.

Grrrr.

No offense to Biodork, Bio, I would be honored to maybe attain a quarter of your science knowledge and skill in my lifetime :blush:

It's been quite some time since my college days but as a biochem major I do remember organic chemistry and physical chemistry being quite brutal indeed.

Now that Duke football has lost their last two games and the bandwagon is quickly emptying, I just got an email where they are offering employees tickets at 90% off the normal rate for next week's final game. I have no horse in this race as I don't particularly care about college football, but I find the whole thing hilarious. I've never seen that big of a discount.

Now that Duke football has lost their last two games and the bandwagon is quickly emptying, I just got an email where they are offering employees tickets at 90% off the normal rate for next week's final game. I have no horse in this race as I don't particularly care about college football, but I find the whole thing hilarious. I've never seen that big of a discount.

Earlier this year the University of Michigan was giving away tickets with the purchase of a 20oz Coca-Cola.

Grrrr.

They're 100% right. Having been closely connected with and seen the work that goes into these classes there isn't a major the comes close to the amount of work and level of difficulty. It's obviously for good reason -- these are the future doctors of our country.

And, for the record, it IS the teacher's fault. The bio teachers are pompous asshats at Bonas. They refuse to change their ways. There's one professor who is notorious for giving out nothing more than a B at BEST. One kid who recently graduated got over a 90 on every assignment they had. Brilliant kid. Got a B in both classes he took with her. They're terrible, and the complaints by bio majors are completely justified.

A few of them who are lazy and slack off are the annoying ones. I don't want to hear them complain about the workload if they're not actually dealing with it anyways.

Edited by Tankalicious

Grrrr.

It's been quite some time since my college days but as a biochem major I do remember organic chemistry and physical chemistry being quite brutal indeed.

lol no offense taken; although it's true that the course load is brutal. My junior year I lived in an apartment with another Bio major and two El-Ed majors, and dear Lord, the moaning and complaining I had to listen to from the latter two! Freaking the F out about sock puppets and lesson plans when I was studying for finals in Physics, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, etc. :doh:

Edit: My school was much more heavily weighted towards the social sciences and El-Ed majors, so the science-y folks were definitely a minority on campus.

Edited by biodork

They're 100% right. Having been closely connected with and seen the work that goes into these classes there isn't a major the comes close to the amount of work and level of difficulty. It's obviously for good reason -- these are the future doctors of our country.

And, for the record, it IS the teacher's fault. The bio teachers are pompous asshats at Bonas. They refuse to change their ways. There's one professor who is notorious for giving out nothing more than a B at BEST. One kid who recently graduated got over a 90 on every assignment they had. Brilliant kid. Got a B in both classes he took with her. They're terrible, and the complaints by bio majors are completely justified.

A few of them who are lazy and slack off are the annoying ones. I don't want to hear them complain about the workload if they're not actually dealing with it anyways.

The ones on this floor are not the ones that you're talking about, and that was me talking at 1 am after their 'study session' which consisted of standing in the hall and gossiping loudly while probably smoking in the room, woke me up with my own exams this morning. I'm in a much better mood now :P but really, the ones on my floor, and that I'm talking about, aren't the good students working hard and doing well in tough classes. They're the ones talking down to my major department's professors, and to any other kid that will listen, and it gets so old. No, your 100 level bio course is not more important than some senior's P-Chem or Quantum Mechanics test they have to take tomorrow.

Again, it doesn't apply to all bio majors, it doesn't apply to 98% I'm sure, but the 2 percent has lost me way too much sleep this semester for me to be nice :P

Also you don't need to blare Katy Perry loud enough to shake the floor to be able to focus on homework, at 2 am.

And when the class average is a 70 on an orgo test, it's not the professor's fault you got a 40, that's where the professor's fault comes from, was referencing the most recent complaint I heard.

Edited by Arcsabresfan41

I distinctly remember waiting after class to ask my professor a question in preparation the first organic chem exam of the semester, but there was a student in front of me who asked his question first....

student: Professor Smith, if you were me what would you focus on most in preparing for the exam?

Professor Smith: Number one, I'm not you. Two, everything.

With that I just turned around and walked out, there was nothing to be gained from interacting with that guy.

After that first exam at least half the class got F's. I remember being thrilled with my C-. Professor Smtih stood stoically in front of the lecture hall, ignoring the sobs from many of the female students who probably never got anything but A's in their scholastic careers, and announced with no campassion whatsoever that if you failed this exam the road would not get any easier and he strongly encouraged these students to abandon their med school plans and pursue a different major. The guy was no nonsense to the extreme, he was like the GMTM of organic chemistry professors.

You were good until you applied rules on when and where and how loud I'm allowed to apply Katy Perry. Freeman, swing the banhammer. This one took it too far.

:lol: I stand my ground and accept any consequence of doing so.

I distinctly remember waiting after class to ask my professor a question in preparation the first organic chem exam of the semester, but there was a student in front of me who asked his question first....

student: Professor Smith, if you were me what would you focus on most in preparing for the exam?

With that I just turned around and walked out, there was nothing to be gained from interacting with that guy.

After that first exam at least half the class got F's. I remember being thrilled with my C-. Professor Smtih stood stoically in front of the lecture hall, ignoring the sobs from many of the female students who probably never got anything but A's in their scholastic careers, and announced with no campassion whatsoever that if you failed this exam the road would not get any easier and he strongly encouraged these students to abandon their med school plans and pursue a different major. The guy was no nonsense to the extreme, he was like the GMTM of organic chemistry professors.

That sounds awful. The method that the Organic Chem professor this semester has is, the class average becomes a B-, and it goes up or down from there. He's also the coolest guy on campus, in my opinion : P First person I ever met here, and he convinced me to come to this school (though I feel bad that I chose physics instead, he almost recruited another Chem student :P )

I shouldn't have posted that and derailed this thread last night, so I'll stop now, and just declare that all science is awesome, and if you don't think so you should be forced to listen to Katy Perry songs. Without the music videos.

I got tickets to Vanderbilt's home opener against Temple for $4 each. 50 yard line. 20 rows up. Ridiculous. But, once basketball season rolls around...

...Professor Smith is my idol!

Edited by Potato

Anyone have Fourtner at UB for Bio? Got a 67 on my first ever test in college, I thought my life was over until he showed us the bell curve and I ended up with a B and one of the better grades in class. I couldn't believe it. I hated that class...

Not to completely defend Professor Smith, but that question is really a no win scenario for the professor. You help the students too much, not enough, or even when you help the "right" amount you end up having a few who complain that you asked a question from a topic you didn't say to focus on. Over the past couple years I've gotten much better at pointing students in the right direction without giving the test away, but that latter group really is infuriating.

Anyone have Fourtner at UB for Bio? Got a 67 on my first ever test in college, I thought my life was over until he showed us the bell curve and I ended up with a B and one of the better grades in class. I couldn't believe it. I hated that class...

Was he older? I never took bio (physics and chemistry here), but the name sounds familiar and I do remember some friends raging about their bio professor.

Edited by TrueBluePhD