Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

WKRP in Cincinnati :worthy:

You do know that the entire series is coming out on DVD in October with about 80% of the original music restored...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYCA4QY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/189-2067174-5164722?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1R5V92BM7CM19Y144YE1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B000MXPE6U

You do know that the entire series is coming out on DVD in October with about 80% of the original music restored...

http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=B000MXPE6U

I'm surprised, I had always heard it would be too expensive to license all the music. Maybe as time goes on the license fees are going down. My wife is mildly mad that Northern Exposure DVDs are either really expensive or the audio is badly cut up from replacing the original music with license-free stuff.

I'm surprised, I had always heard it would be too expensive to license all the music. Maybe as time goes on the license fees are going down. My wife is mildly mad that Northern Exposure DVDs are either really expensive or the audio is badly cut up from replacing the original music with license-free stuff.

Listen to the background music on that show carefully. For a good period of time, the background music wasn't classic rock that you heard on rock stations. It sounded similar to alot of radio play, but it wasn't. I think for a period of time it was music recorded specifically for the show, or from obscure bands.

A former student asked me to write a letter of recommendation for the Rhodes Scholarship Program. I've written some letters before, but never for anything even near the universe of this prestigious. I'm equal parts honored and terrified--obviously I don't want to mess this up :lol:

Stuff like this is why I wanted to focus on teaching in the first place, and despite how downright frustrating undergraduates can be at times, it makes it worth dealing with.

caffeinated chocolates are awesome:

http://www.awakechocolate.com/

I remember when these were new:

http://www.peppermin...ated-mints.html

On a related note, I had some caffeinated bottled water (truly, the early 2000s were peak-caffeine) around the same time. The water was a pretty bad idea, as it seemed to dry your mouth out after a little bit. The solution, of course, was to drink some more water. I was driving up to meet a girl and by time I got there I was wired on the stuff (in a bad, twitchy way). That relationship went NO-where.

Edited by MattPie

The peppermint were good, the cinnamon OK, and the chocolate meh. I still have a tin or two around, I think one is in my car with Tums in it.

I think I had the chocolate ones... was popping them during a long road trip, but they didn't do much to keep me awake, and the taste wasn't good enough to eat other than for the caffeine. Those Awake bars are actually quite good!

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/adam-sandlers-making-four-movies-for-netflix-just-what-in-the-hell-is-going-on-here/

As you may have heard, Netflix has signed Adam Sandler to a four-movie deal.

As for Sandler’s thought process here? “When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them,” he wrote in a statement, “I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only … Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks.”1 Right, right, of course.

This group and their new cookbook sound hilariously awesome:

http://www.thugkitchen.com

Only bummer (for some of you) is the recipes are all vegan. From their FAQ "What is Thug Kitchen?":

This site is here to help your narrow dietary mind explore some goddamn options so that you can look and feel like a ###### champ. We hope readers reconsider what kind of behaviors they attribute to people who try to eat healthy. Everyone deserves to feel a part of our push toward a healthier diet, not just people with disposable incomes who speak a certain way. So we're here to help cut through the ######. Promoting accessibility and community are important as ###### here at Thug Kitchen. We've got a big table and everyone is welcome to it.

Just spoke to a class of fifth graders via skype in Cincinnati about gaming with a couple of coworkers. It was awesome to see how excited they were to talk to us. It was also awesome how much they knew- man, it is so easy to underestimate the tech knowledge of 10 year olds these days. Kinda scary, honestly.

Oh. And hockey. Real hockey. Is back tomorrow.

Listen to the background music on that show carefully. For a good period of time, the background music wasn't classic rock that you heard on rock stations. It sounded similar to alot of radio play, but it wasn't. I think for a period of time it was music recorded specifically for the show, or from obscure bands.

In the original broadcast of the series, most of the songs were the real thing by the original bands. (Yes, I have been around long enough to have seen the original series broadcast on CBS). Subsequent syndication runs required that new, generic music be grafted in, as the rights to that music were only negotiated for the original broadcasts and network re-runs. In fact, there is an episode where the station runs a "name those songs" contest. In the original broadcasts, the music clips (short as they were) were real rock songs by the original artists. The contest winner named all of the songs/artists and they were indeed the "real deal". Syndicated episodes substituted fake songs and artists. Kind of sad, really.

When the first season of WKRP was about to come out on DVD, much ado was made about the original music being included. No luck. Rights to the songs were reported to be prohibitively expensive at the time. There must have been a boatload of negotiating done to get the rights to the 80% of the original music stated to be included in this DVD release.

Now, we'll see if they were able to get the rights to include Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" in the episode where Les Nessman prepares to take Jennifer to the Silver Sow awards banquet...a classic scene.

Edited by Sabre Dance

Just spoke to a class of fifth graders via skype in Cincinnati about gaming with a couple of coworkers. It was awesome to see how excited they were to talk to us. It was also awesome how much they knew- man, it is so easy to underestimate the tech knowledge of 10 year olds these days. Kinda scary, honestly.

Oh. And hockey. Real hockey. Is back tomorrow.

Yeah, yeah, you're a Wings fan. Give it a rest. :P