Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Almost once a week I remind my son that, yes, there are plenty of real life situations where that math you hate so much gets used.

When I was an engineering student (the first time) I was always asking "why do I need to know this if I'll never use it". My teachers never gave me the right answer. I guess maybe they didn't understand the question.

I was an engineering student. My future job would be to solve engineering problems. Everything in engineering is derived from the stupid calculus I was being forced to learn. How could I expect that I'd want to solve engineering problems if I didn't want to throughly understand the foundations that that work was based on?

You want to solve big problems? Solve these little ones first. That's the answer current me would give to past me.

When I was an engineering student (the first time) I was always asking "why do I need to know this if I'll never use it". My teachers never gave me the right answer. I guess maybe they didn't understand the question.

I was an engineering student. My future job would be to solve engineering problems. Everything in engineering is derived from the stupid calculus I was being forced to learn. How could I expect that I'd want to solve engineering problems if I didn't want to throughly understand the foundations that that work was based on?

You want to solve big problems? Solve these little ones first. That's the answer current me would give to past me.

understanding the fundamentals is how you gain good intuition. Valuable engineers are the ones who can make decisions without all the data, and estimate results before the calculations and models are complete. All this comes from intuition derived from understanding the fundamentals.

understanding the fundamentals is how you gain good intuition. Valuable engineers are the ones who can make decisions without all the data, and estimate results before the calculations and models are complete. All this comes from intuition derived from understanding the fundamentals.

Bingo. This all came to me while I was working on my Master's in Criminal Justice and reading book on the history of motorcycles. My Master's work had taught me the importance of theory and understanding where something comes from and that book corroborated this idea.

If you want to truly be an expert on something then you have to know it beginning to end.

And you WANT to know it.

I'm not sure which is more awesome: the ability to make perfect spheres of ice that won't dilute my whiskey, or the ice mold itself.

Holy crap. Another person who loves perfect ice spheres. I thought I was nuts/OCD. They just look so awesome in my glass...

Holy crap. Another person who loves perfect ice spheres. I thought I was nuts/OCD. They just look so awesome in my glass...

Lol not just you. First I saw one out was actually at a bar in Buffalo a year or two back, and they definitely look great in the glass. Melted a bit faster than I thought, but could also be my first batch cracked a bit since I over-filled the mold. Way more impressive than standard cubes, though!

I'm not sure which is more awesome: the ability to make perfect spheres of ice that won't dilute my whiskey, or the ice mold itself.

Throw one of these in too and you are good to go......

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mp0JV9oCrKJfIzb068tBuRA.jpg

Ahh, I have friends there. I go to Bonaventure with none other than Tankalicious, who I met on the way to a sabres game once, he seems like a much better guy than some of you on sabrespace give him credit for :P

I think Tank has been awesome so far.

I'm noticing a trend here with the two spherical ice cube lovers...

It must be the animated avatars or something.

So my daughter had a birthday yesterday, she turned 6, and being in kindergarten she hasn't yet fully grasped the concept of time and the calendar. Since Easter she has been asking nearly every day "is tomorrow my birthday?" So on Wednesday night we put her to bed and made a big deal about that when she wakes up, it will finally be her birthday.

At 3 am I wake up to find her standing right next to our bed, and I hear her say: "Daddy, I feel a little bit sick" I immediately jump up out of bed and feel her forehead and ask what's hurting her. "Noooo daddy I said I feel a little bit sick!!" Now my daughter is a bit delayed with her speech such that when she says "sick" and "six" they sound the same. By this time my wife has woken up and she is a little quicker to catch on "she means that she feels a little bit SIX" So after a few minutes of calming her down and coaxing her to go back to bed, I couldn't help but laugh at how awesome being a parent is sometimes.

I'm noticing a trend here with the two spherical ice cube lovers...

It must be the animated avatars or something.

I was starting to worry I was the only perv who thinks the ice mold looks like boobs!

So my daughter had a birthday yesterday, she turned 6, and being in kindergarten she hasn't yet fully grasped the concept of time and the calendar. Since Easter she has been asking nearly every day "is tomorrow my birthday?" So on Wednesday night we put her to bed and made a big deal about that when she wakes up, it will finally be her birthday.

At 3 am I wake up to find her standing right next to our bed, and I hear her say: "Daddy, I feel a little bit sick" I immediately jump up out of bed and feel her forehead and ask what's hurting her. "Noooo daddy I said I feel a little bit sick!!" Now my daughter is a bit delayed with her speech such that when she says "sick" and "six" they sound the same. By this time my wife has woken up and she is a little quicker to catch on "she means that she feels a little bit SIX" So after a few minutes of calming her down and coaxing her to go back to bed, I couldn't help but laugh at how awesome being a parent is sometimes.

Haha awesome.

Kids say some amazing things - a few years back, I was at a friend's house for dinner. The topic turned to old TV shows and M*A*S*H was one of the topics. Then my friend mentioned the short-lived spin-off, AfterM*A*S*H. So, his daughter turned to us and said "AfterM*A*S*H... that's kind of like the aftermath..." My friend and I turned and looked at each other. Honest to gosh, his daughter was right on the mark, but neither of us caught that even after all these years. We just thought it was the series after M*A*S*H, never thinking that it had anything to do with the aftermath of the war. And his daughter was only 12 at the time.

Lol not just you. First I saw one out was actually at a bar in Buffalo a year or two back, and they definitely look great in the glass. Melted a bit faster than I thought, but could also be my first batch cracked a bit since I over-filled the mold. Way more impressive than standard cubes, though!

If, after they start chilling, you open them up and put a spot of food coloring in the mold and then when finished they'd look like

eye balls. (Add some whispy red streaks and it could be like a drunk was drinking with you.)

Despite being an admirer for many many years, I had never ridden a motorcycle. That changed tonight. I was terrified at first going from "here, hold on" to 65 on a twisty river road but after about ten minutes, I really understood why so many bikers use wings as symbols. There was a gorgeous sunset and the weather was perfect.

My uncle also dropped by in my first car, which he took when I left for NY. I got to take my old mustang for a spin. She's no beauty or impressive by any means, an aging 99 bright yellow Boss that the owner before me pimped out with a ridiculous sound system and stupidly obnoxious mufflers. But I don't care. She's loud and has a surprisingly good pickup. And driving around today was a very sweet ride down memory lane.

Ice cream, steak, good beers, abandoned farms and good friends rounded out the rest of the day. Ohio ain't so bad sometimes.

Despite being an admirer for many many years, I had never ridden a motorcycle. That changed tonight. I was terrified at first going from "here, hold on" to 65 on a twisty river road but after about ten minutes, I really understood why so many bikers use wings as symbols. There was a gorgeous sunset and the weather was perfect.

Flying is a great analogy. I just spent 9 days "flying" around the mountains of Western NC (and SC, WV, VA, MD, DC, and PA) and there's nothing like a motorcycle on twisty (and hopefully hilly) road. What type of bike?