Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

If you're in the mood for German food and great beer, The Bier Garden in Portsmouth VA is fantastic. I was supposed to be down there this week but my trip got cancelled. :(

Closest I got was the Festhaus in Busch gardens. Made the Griffon coaster reeeeaaallly something. lol

Free loaner motorcycle while mine is in the shop, awesome!

Sweet! I always liked the Bonneville. I looked at buying one a few years back, but they are meant for people smaller than I. (I sat on one in the showroom and caught my reflection in the window. I looked like an elephant on a unicycle). So, off I went to the Harley dealer.... Still, a great bike with a lot of history and a great vertical twin engine. Nothing else sounds like that....enjoy!

Oh, also this week's weather is awesome...warm days, cool nights, no precipitation. Hey, why am I not on a two-wheeled road trip? Oh yeah, work... :(

flying to georgia tomorrow to find my new house/condo... first time I will have no roomie and can pick exactly what I want. Living by yourself fully supported in a swanky bachelor pad, is awesome

Late to this party due to my Ramadan fast of SabreSpace.

Congratulations. Looks like things have turned for the better for you.

Be prepared to write a big fat cheque ... :thumbsup: .

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Sweet! I always liked the Bonneville. I looked at buying one a few years back, but they are meant for people smaller than I. (I sat on one in the showroom and caught my reflection in the window. I looked like an elephant on a unicycle). So, off I went to the Harley dealer.... Still, a great bike with a lot of history and a great vertical twin engine. Nothing else sounds like that....enjoy!

Yeah, the Bonnie is a bit small for me (6'2"). Triumph now has a few bigger cruisers with vertical twins and a triple, but I haven't been on them other than a quick ride on a Rocket 3. That thing makes me look small.

Ann Arbor. I've been here doing research this week for my dissertation, but that's beside the point--the city itself is awesome. It's clean, beautiful (it's seriously like it was built in a forest and they only cut down the trees they absolutely had to), the people are friendly, and they have great local places to eat and hang out, all at a good price. I've gone to a different place every day and there's still about 15 more I want to go to but can't. If I'm ever accomplished enough in my career to get a job at Michigan, I'm jumping at it. Literally the only bad thing I have to say about the city is the traffic--one or two car lengths per green light. I just ended up walking 4ish miles to eat rather than drive, which is fine once in awhile, but feeling like it's necessary is kind of annoying. Other than that, it's just a great place to be.

Heading out to Elmira-Corning in a couple hours to pick up our foreign exchange student. My family is excited. Should be an interesting next few months.

Tomorrow we have to set up bank accounts, cell accounts, fill in any gaps in his clothing, get school supplies, etc. Going to be a busy time.

Heading out to Elmira-Corning in a couple hours to pick up our foreign exchange student. My family is excited. Should be an interesting next few months.

Tomorrow we have to set up bank accounts, cell accounts, fill in any gaps in his clothing, get school supplies, etc. Going to be a busy time.

Just cut to the chase.....we know how the story ends. He flash drives all your files from your work computer at 2am, takes a few prototypes when you bring him into work for father/son day, and brings them back to the homeland for his govt. ;)

Just cut to the chase.....we know how the story ends. He flash drives all your files from your work computer at 2am, takes a few prototypes when you bring him into work for father/son day, and brings them back to the homeland for his govt. ;)

Given my work record anything he takes from me and sends home will put Chinese technology development back at least 15 years. :P

What a whirlwind 24 hours. Storms in NYC delayed his flight a good bit. Landed in Corning around 7:15pm. Poor guy was so tired he could barely walk a straight line. Instead of dinner in town we headed straight home. He slept the entire ride. Must have been really beat. No way I could sleep in a car full of total strangers in a strange land. Grabbed a bag of Burger King on the way home. Unpacked his stuff, showed him around the house, ate some food, and when we went to bed after midnight he was on the phone with family. Woke him up around 11am today. We had lots of things to do today. His laptop came with a power supply for a 250v outlet so we had to get one for 120v. Had to do some basic clothes shopping to fill in the gaps in the clothing he brought. School supplies needed to be got too. We overwhelmed him with lunch at Wegman's. He had no idea what to choose with all that variety of food available.

He (and us) seem to be adapting. He knows enough English to communicate effectively enough but we have to be careful how we phrase things. Of course he does not "get" slang, sarcasm, or innuendo at all. And he tells us what he thinks we want to hear instead of being completely honest. Hopefully that changes as he gets more comfortable. He spent a good 2 hours or so playing Xbox with my kid this afternoon. That seemed to help them bond as he started to open up more.

It has been a challenging road so far but not in a bad way. I can only imagine the chaos in his head right now. First time away from home and he's 12 time zones away, in a completely foreign culture, and no plans to see family for another 8 months. He has been holding up pretty well emotionally as far as I can tell.

Kid has courage, I'll give him that much.

What a whirlwind 24 hours. Storms in NYC delayed his flight a good bit. Landed in Corning around 7:15pm. Poor guy was so tired he could barely walk a straight line. Instead of dinner in town we headed straight home. He slept the entire ride. Must have been really beat. No way I could sleep in a car full of total strangers in a strange land. Grabbed a bag of Burger King on the way home. Unpacked his stuff, showed him around the house, ate some food, and when we went to bed after midnight he was on the phone with family. Woke him up around 11am today. We had lots of things to do today. His laptop came with a power supply for a 250v outlet so we had to get one for 120v. Had to do some basic clothes shopping to fill in the gaps in the clothing he brought. School supplies needed to be got too. We overwhelmed him with lunch at Wegman's. He had no idea what to choose with all that variety of food available.

He (and us) seem to be adapting. He knows enough English to communicate effectively enough but we have to be careful how we phrase things. Of course he does not "get" slang, sarcasm, or innuendo at all. And he tells us what he thinks we want to hear instead of being completely honest. Hopefully that changes as he gets more comfortable. He spent a good 2 hours or so playing Xbox with my kid this afternoon. That seemed to help them bond as he started to open up more.

It has been a challenging road so far but not in a bad way. I can only imagine the chaos in his head right now. First time away from home and he's 12 time zones away, in a completely foreign culture, and no plans to see family for another 8 months. He has been holding up pretty well emotionally as far as I can tell.

:thumbsup:

Good stuff man, it's extremely interesting to me to see/hear how people adjust to a completely foreign culture. Is this kid exceptionally smart or gifted, is that how he got picked for the exchange program? Just curious. I look forward to more updates.

Good stuff man, it's extremely interesting to me to see/hear how people adjust to a completely foreign culture. Is this kid exceptionally smart or gifted, is that how he got picked for the exchange program? Just curious. I look forward to more updates.

I don't believe that he is overly gifted, I am told that the vast majority of kids in the program are exceptionally academically motivated though.

There is nothing about this story that isn't ###### awesome.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/lawyer-facing-dwi-prostitution-charges

Let me get this straight, a former teen beauty contestant, that was on wife swap is busted for prostitution and drugs while the dude she's banging is a prominent local attorney that drops $500-700 for her services.

Please someone make a movie out of this (Selena Gomez as the ho!).

How did mr Doyle determine I the night was worth $500 or $700. The more inputs, the more $$$?

Awesomeness!!

http://www.wivb.com/...itution-charges

Let me get this straight, a former teen beauty contestant, that was on wife swap is busted for prostitution and drugs while the dude she's banging is a prominent local attorney that drops $500-700 for her services.

How did mr Doyle determine I the night was worth $500 or $700. The more inputs, the more $$$?

Awesomeness!!

There is ONE thing about this story that isn't awesome. We need pictures to determine how awesome this is. ;) (And I don't mean the mugshot of Doyle.)

http://www.wivb.com/...itution-charges

Awesomeness!!

I wonder if she wore the tiara when she b### him?