What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Not sure how easy it is to get in the States, but Brugal rum from the Dominican is good stuff. I had the Anejo with soda most of the time I was there, but took a bottle of the Extra Viejo home and that's good enough to drink by itself.

http://www.drinkspir...nican-republic/

I like Brugal. Very easy to get down here.

Avua Amburana Cachaca: http://www.avuacachaca.com/discover-amburana/

Trying it neat, but a little surprised by the alcohol burn and not sure I like the flavor (to be fair, I don't normally drink Cachaca). The nose is very sweet, but it doesn't taste overly saccharine. Will have to try experimenting with mixers to tone it down. The Prata is supposed to be cleaner and well-suited to caipirinhas, so we'll see once I restock my limes!

I bought a bottle of Cachaca once. It had the same effect on me as imported Akvavit: not legit enough. One of those liquors you have to experience in person.

I bought a bottle of Cachaca once. It had the same effect on me as imported Akvavit: not legit enough. One of those liquors you have to experience in person.

Hmm. Well this stuff is supposed to be single-sourced and small batch, but not having consumed much cane rum I don't have a good basis for comparison. It smells similar to the bottle of Leblon Cachaca I bought a while back, but I think the bf will have to be the judge since he's the one who normally drinks it. I hope it grows on me... cane rum is a lot pricier than plain old Bacardi or Captain! :/

Hmm. Well this stuff is supposed to be single-sourced and small batch, but not having consumed much cane rum I don't have a good basis for comparison. It smells similar to the bottle of Leblon Cachaca I bought a while back, but I think the bf will have to be the judge since he's the one who normally drinks it. I hope it grows on me... cane rum is a lot pricier than plain old Bacardi or Captain! :/

I think I mentioned it up thread but if you can find it, domestic cane rum Cane and Abe (made in Wisconsin) is pretty good bang for the buck. Plus the label is cool which is always a plus. :D

I think I mentioned it up thread but if you can find it, domestic cane rum Cane and Abe (made in Wisconsin) is pretty good bang for the buck. Plus the label is cool which is always a plus. :D

Thanks; I'll keep an eye out!

So after looking around online, apparently it's not uncommon for US Cachaca to be pretty rough and better suited to mixing than sipping. The vast majority of drink recipes are either the obvious (caipirinha) or some blended coconut milkshake ridiculousness. I tried adding a few drops of bitters, a splash of triple sec, and two ice cubes, and that was infinitely more drinkable than it was neat.

The More You Know

Last night was Knob Creek Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. Special batch for the liquor store. 120 proof.

Took a little getting use to but yummy. <<<<my professional opinion

see now, I could drink with you.

A splash of water would really open that up.

Picked some leeks this afternoon. I'm going to try and recreate the leek dip of my youth, which is going to be tough because the creators of it are both under the leeks as we speak. They always said there was no recipe anyway. I'm thinking sour cream, cream cheese, minced garlic, onion powder, shredded pepper jack, what else? I don't really know what I'm doing, and I think that was the idea of the original recipe. Wing it.

Picked some leeks this afternoon. I'm going to try and recreate the leek dip of my youth, which is going to be tough because the creators of it are both under the leeks as we speak. They always said there was no recipe anyway. I'm thinking sour cream, cream cheese, minced garlic, onion powder, shredded pepper jack, what else? I don't really know what I'm doing, and I think that was the idea of the original recipe. Wing it.

Lawrys seasoned salt

Lawrys seasoned salt

Don't have any. I went pretty heavy on the garlic powder and put in a bit of cajun seasoning. I cooked the leaks in butter and decided to add some Worcestershire sauce. Dash of hot sauce and went with sharp cheddar cheese. It came out really good and it's not even aged yet. I think with the leeks and sour cream and cream cheese, you could add litter box tootsie rolls and it would be good.

Spent Sunday on the deck drinking Old Fashioneds. Dinner was homemade pizza. Pizza stone on the grill. Got the grill up to 650 degrees. Dough stretched thin. A painting of garlic and basil infused olive oil, a simple sauce made with crushed tomatoes and some herbs, parmesan and mozz cheese, pickled hot banana peppers, and some delicious uncured lacto-fermented Italian salami sliced thin enough to crisp up. 7 minutes and off the grill. Everything nice and bubbly-brown.

I hurt myself.

Spent Sunday on the deck drinking Old Fashioneds. Dinner was homemade pizza. Pizza stone on the grill. Got the grill up to 650 degrees. Dough stretched thin. A painting of garlic and basil infused olive oil, a simple sauce made with crushed tomatoes and some herbs, parmesan and mozz cheese, pickled hot banana peppers, and some delicious uncured lacto-fermented Italian salami sliced thin enough to crisp up. 7 minutes and off the grill. Everything nice and bubbly-brown.

I hurt myself.

Do you make your dough or buy it?

Do you make your dough or buy it?

Both, depending on how impulsive the decision to make pizza.

We usually have 2 or 3 packages of Wegman's pizza dough in the freezer for impulsive pizza making. It is usually really gluten-y and makes a nice crust. The trick with their dough is 1. bring up fully to room temp and 2. Work the dough, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then work it again to final shape. Otherwise you get really thick, chewy crusts because you cannot stretch it thin enough without that rest period.

When we have planned ahead I make my own. For anyone interested in bread baking and pizza dough making I cannot recommend the book The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart highly enough. It is equal parts textbook and recipe book. He champions a technique that involves fermenting part of the dough overnight.

Today is a mash up holiday. For over a decade now we have combined Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby for an excuse to have way too good a time. We invite a close circle of friends and spend the day overindulging on a weird combo of mint juleps, margaritas, Mexican food, and pecan pie. Of course, Derby watching/betting is also a central part of the theme.

Today's menu includes a huge 7 layer dip to go along with the Juleps, Margaritas and Dos Equis for the pre-race festivities. But dinner is hangar steak marinated in Dos Equis, onions, garlic, cilantro, and jalapenos, grilled hot and fast to medium rare, and sliced thin against the grain for fajitas. I'll have sliced and sauteed onions, bell peppers, and poblanos for piling on. And creme fresh flavored with lime, cilantro, and ground dried guajillo peppers to slather on the fajitas. Bourbon pecan pie for dessert if anyone has room.

We are similar Weave...Cranitas (recipe from ATK , no frying) chips and homemade Guac, and grilled tequila lime shrimp, Texmati rice with toasted almonds and apricot.

I don't know why, but I like the Tecate in the can, so that is beer of choice. Three couples, should be fun

Picked up a bottle based on a recommendation from the sales guy at Mahan's liquor in Rochester. I was looking for a new tequila to try and he led me to Tres Agaves anejo. Never heard of it but I gave it a whirl. about $35/750mL. Really, really tasty. Not big and powerful like some, but smooth as silk. A touch grassy on the nose. Lemony, perfumy , peppery on the palate. Not harsh at all. Seems to be a real solid step up from say, 1800. I'm drinking it neat right now and it is very enjoyable that way. But I used it in my margarita recipe earlier and oh man does it shine there.

Definitely recommended as an upper-middle of the road tequila good for sipping or mixing.

We had brunch at our favorite joint since they were doing specials for Cinco de Mayo. Appetizer tapas plate had pork tenderloin enchiladas, radish, and ceviche red snapper. The guys both had their featured entree (chile rellenos), which was a poblano pepper stuffed with beef, almonds, manchego cheese, and cream cheese with a poached egg and rice/beans on the side. My friend had crisped pork belly, and I was the token gringo with something off their regular menu (smoked salmon omelet, bagel with cream cheese, and roasted potatoes). Lychee and pomegranate mimosas all around. Super tasty.

Now dinner (and lunch for the week) is a mediterranean quinoa salad.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.