What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Taught my last class tonight. Might be the last class period, if I move to Buffalo.

I had to give a negative speech addressing some of the problems this class had this semester. It wasn't easy for me.

So I bought a decent bottle of Cab Sauv and am drinking it until my feelings numb.

:beer: You made it though. And you did a good job. Proud of you.

Taught my last class tonight. Might be the last class period, if I move to Buffalo.

I had to give a negative speech addressing some of the problems this class had this semester. It wasn't easy for me.

So I bought a decent bottle of Cab Sauv and am drinking it until my feelings numb.

Teach for a couple more years and telling students how bitterly disappointing they are will become the best part of the job! :p

At my son's request, I made meatloaf for the first time last night.  It was also, I think, the first time I'd eaten meatloaf since I was a kid. 

Served it with baked beans, broccoli and those buttered rolls from a can that you bake in the oven for 15 min.

Pretty simple and pretty tasty.

At my son's request, I made meatloaf for the first time last night.  It was also, I think, the first time I'd eaten meatloaf since I was a kid. 

Served it with baked beans, broccoli and those buttered rolls from a can that you bake in the oven for 15 min.

I never understood the aversion pop culture seems to have to meatloaf. It was probably one of my favorite dishes growing up and I enjoy making it as well. A good meatloaf is a thing of beauty. 

Wait til you have kids :P

This is precisely why I don't want kids. 

But I'll probably have to at some point. 

Wine was good- took a long bath, drank a few glasses, no hangover today. A+ in my book. 

I never understood the aversion pop culture seems to have to meatloaf. It was probably one of my favorite dishes growing up and I enjoy making it as well. A good meatloaf is a thing of beauty. 

It just looks so unappealing, and the chain restaurant variety is usually pretty awful.  Meatballs are awesome and meatloaf is mostly just a giant meatball, but you almost have to overcook it so the middle is done, which turns it into a giant well done slab of beef... ick.  If someone has a recipe that actually stays moist and doesn't taste like a hockey puck with ketchup on it, please share!

It just looks so unappealing, and the chain restaurant variety is usually pretty awful.  Meatballs are awesome and meatloaf is mostly just a giant meatball, but you almost have to overcook it so the middle is done, which turns it into a giant well done slab of beef... ick.  If someone has a recipe that actually stays moist and doesn't taste like a hockey puck with ketchup on it, please share!

Look to the oatmeal, my friend. Look to the oatmeal. I was turned on to this recently. The oats absorb any, uh, cow juice and plump up. It really is good.

I could marinate this post in We've's tears.

Look to the oatmeal, my friend. Look to the oatmeal. I was turned on to this recently. The oats absorb any, uh, cow juice and plump up. It really is good.

Oatmeal in meatloaf?  Hmm... sounds odd, but I'm intrigued.  Go on....

I could marinate this post in We've's tears.

I concur, the recipe I use (that I haven't made in years) is oat-based and turned out like big slices of meatball.

It's just a standard meatloaf recipe, but you use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. Or half and half. I still do a shake of bread crumbs for all the seasonings (salt!). You use eggs in your meatloaf, right? Meat, 2 eggs, ketchup, a little mustard, then add enough oats so it's not sticky anymore and not too dry. Use your hands to mix. Stress buster. I was always taught that when you can stick a finger in and pull it out dry, you're good to go. (Just the opposite of what you'd think, heyo.)

It's just a standard meatloaf recipe, but you use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. Or half and half. I still do a shake of bread crumbs for all the seasonings (salt!). You use eggs in your meatloaf, right? Meat, 2 eggs, ketchup, a little mustard, then add enough oats so it's not sticky anymore and not too dry. Use your hands to mix. Stress buster. I was always taught that when you can stick a finger in and pull it out dry, you're good to go. (Just the opposite of what you'd think, heyo.)

:w00t:  :lol:

Here's the one I used: 

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/turkey-meatloaf

...with the following changes, based mostly on what we had in the kitchen:

- beef instead of turkey

- baked beans instead of canneloni beans

- 2 eggs instead of 1

- a bit more tomato sauce and barbecue sauce, plus a bit of hot sauce, instead of worcestershire

It was pretty moist.

Here's the one I used: 

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/turkey-meatloaf

...with the following changes, based mostly on what we had in the kitchen:

- beef instead of turkey

- baked beans instead of canneloni beans

- 2 eggs instead of 1

- a bit more tomato sauce and barbecue sauce, plus a bit of hot sauce, instead of worcestershire

It was pretty moist.

Much appreciated, good sir!  I've actually never made a meatloaf myself, but I had no idea beans were typically part of the recipe rather than a side dish.

I think the double egg will be a requirement with the altitude here.

It's 5:29am and I'm sitting on my back patio, watching the sun come up with my dogs, taking in the scent of freshly blooming lilacs and cut grass....drinking some Genny!

......but I'm not an alcoholic, because I just got home from work. That's how that works, right?

Edited by ubkev

It's 5:29am and I'm sitting on my back patio, watching the sun come up with my dogs, taking in the scent of freshly blooming lilacs and cut grass....drinking some Genny!

......but I'm not an alcoholic, because I just got home from work. That's how that works, right?

100% acceptable.

I once tried to buy beer at a Wegmans at 6:30am after getting off of a shift, not thinking that they wouldn't sell it to me. But apparently there are "laws" against that. 

Must've been a Sunday, I reckon? Off-premises sales in NYS are still a no-no from 3:00-8:00 a.m. on Sundays.

Which made the process of buying some last minute, hard to find ST bombers for the Mrs. a little tricky this year.

Must've been a Sunday, I reckon? Off-premises sales in NYS are still a no-no from 3:00-8:00 a.m. on Sundays.

Which made the process of buying some last minute, hard to find ST bombers for the Mrs. a little tricky this year.

I think Wegmans enforces a store policy of 3-8am every night. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.