Stafford needs to go

Eleven

So if we trade Girgensons and Ristolainen to someone they will take Stafford as well because he is the spoiled milk that comes with your Filet Mignon and Lobster dinner.

Stafford without a ton of added crap is untradeable.

I think we could get a draft pick for Stafford straight up. Maybe we'd have to eat some cap, maybe we wouldn't. But somebody out there would be willing to at least toss a 5th rounder at us for him. He's a former 30 goal scorer who has some legitimate talent that seems to be hidden beneath layers and layers of laziness.

I don't remember where I originally posted this but here is an update:

- Drew Stafford is now on pace for 9.724goals this season on 202.588shots if he maintains his current 0.048sh%

- If he managed to get his career average sh% of .111 he would have 22.487goals this season.

Edited by LGR4GM

It will be interesting to see what Stafford brings at the deadline. I assume only a 2nd rounder. Or maybe a prospect and a 3rd. In college, he was a role player with good leadership and speed and size along the wall to get after pucks in the corners. For some reason, in the NHL, he never added much more to that basic platform. Even he admitted two years ago that he needed to learn some new tricks. NHL players are all pretty much the same. They all have size, skating, shooting, stick handling, etc. The difference in the standouts and the average ones is the aggressive style, emotion, passion, pride, grit and compete level that each develops as they grow into their bodies between the ages of 18 to 23. Even the smaller non-contact players who excel have this same determination and grit (see Doug Gilmour, M. St. Louis, Zetterberg, Sedins, Briere, etc.). These players, and those in their ilk all have a fire in their belly and it was honed and shaped during the early stages of their careers. Stafford developed bad habits and probably never had the killer instinct anyway. He is a nice player (above average) who should be allowed to float around on the 3rd or 4th lines on a contender. Having him the PP and first line is absurd. Ala Danny Paille, he will resurface to be an asset to a team that can hide him on the 3rd line and spring him come playoff time when he gets passionate about things b/c. I could see him being traded to the Kings or Anaheim.

Stafford has always given the impression that he plays when he feels like it, which is not necessarily often. The fact that he now says he has to step it up indicates his awareness that he's not often maxed out. Indicative is his performance in shootouts. I've never seen a player as nonchalant as he is in a shootout. I also don't recall seeing him do anything other than shoot right into the goalie's pads. It drives me nuts when he's picked for shootouts.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Stafford throw a check or look that interested in being a force. Perhaps it's just his nature. What's puzzling is that when he was drafted the reports were that he was a tough, two way player. Strange!

It will be interesting to see what Stafford brings at the deadline. I assume only a 2nd rounder. Or maybe a prospect and a 3rd. In college, he was a role player with good leadership and speed and size along the wall to get after pucks in the corners. For some reason, in the NHL, he never added much more to that basic platform. Even he admitted two years ago that he needed to learn some new tricks. NHL players are all pretty much the same. They all have size, skating, shooting, stick handling, etc. The difference in the standouts and the average ones is the aggressive style, emotion, passion, pride, grit and compete level that each develops as they grow into their bodies between the ages of 18 to 23. Even the smaller non-contact players who excel have this same determination and grit (see Doug Gilmour, M. St. Louis, Zetterberg, Sedins, Briere, etc.). These players, and those in their ilk all have a fire in their belly and it was honed and shaped during the early stages of their careers. Stafford developed bad habits and probably never had the killer instinct anyway. He is a nice player (above average) who should be allowed to float around on the 3rd or 4th lines on a contender. Having him the PP and first line is absurd. Ala Danny Paille, he will resurface to be an asset to a team that can hide him on the 3rd line and spring him come playoff time when he gets passionate about things b/c. I could see him being traded to the Kings or Anaheim.

Absolutely no chance of Stafford going at the deadline for a 2nd. People dont add projects or give guys a change of scenery when gearing up for the playoffs.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Stafford throw a check or look that interested in being a force. Perhaps it's just his nature. What's puzzling is that when he was drafted the reports were that he was a tough, two way player. Strange!

You're not watching too closely, Stafford does check from time to time. Not often or effectively enough, but it does happen.