Tootoo's Hearing today 12/5/11

Iron Crotch

I'm ok w/ 2. I think that Tootoo's history of douchebaggery is outside the 18-month window so Shanny couldn't consider it; chz, is that how that works?

I might have tacked on a third game just because "Jordin" shouldn't be spelled thusly.

Repeat offender is just part of the equation. Doesn't necessarily take on "x" number of games.

-CW

Two is better than zero. I disagree with prevailing sentiment on here. It does send a message. Most guys will try and avoid a two game suspension. Some won't.

And therein lies the issue. It's like red light cameras. They don't stop anyone who is already predisposed to not run red lights. The two game suspension doesn't do anything for the majority that are already predisposed to try not to hit the goalie, and the ones that don't care still won't care.

It's about as down the middle as you can get and it solves nothing.

Nice but this is really just gonna benefit Phoenix & Columbus....the Predators next two opponents. I suppose players will be less willing to take libterties with Miller in the future. Lucic really got away with one. Clearly the GM's talked about this when they met recently and decided to enforce this policy about running into goaltenders.

This changes nothing.

Time will tell. Will it make players respect each other more, not likely. I wonder though, will this give Miller a bit more space, given guys being concerned hitting a goalie a present hot button issue and with the two hits on Miller now, players not going to get any breaks if they do come in contact with him. This very well may play into the Sabres favour

eh not surprised but disappointed. Shenanigans had the opportunity to protect goalies from ppl driving through them and he failed. Players should drive to the net but they should also hold up before the blue ice. There is a distinction btw playing hard and driving to the net and running goalies... o well it seems that running goalies is ok so go for it sabres ppl.

My guess is that it took so long to make this "explanation video" as to not undo the reasoning for the Lucic incident. The fact that Shanny mentioned how Tootoo "looked up" and then made contact was the reason for the suspension. That explanation, alone, reverses his non-call on Lucic because he claimed Lucic "didn't know Miller was there." However, it was VERY clear that his head was up and looking at MIller what he hit him at :11. AND, if he didn't know he was there, why did Lucic even raise his arms? INCONSISTENT!

just heard the sports announcer on WBZ (Boston) coin a new nickname: "Cryin'" Ryan Miller.

Oh, those clever Boston media types. That's high-quality talk radio commentary right there.

eh not surprised but disappointed.

Yep. Underwhelmed yet again is how I'd term it. The bar is set so low for the NHL's player safety committee(is that the title shanny works under?) that I expect little, and get pretty close to my expectations.

Only in the NHL would a player get suspended more games for using the term "sloppy seconds" in an interview than for an illegal hit.

Good post. It's not about protecting the players. Its about protecting the leagues reputation and not bringing embarrassment on the league. The Tootoo hit would have gone away quietly if not for the Lucic furor that preceded it. Avery and his comments were spread across not only sports newscasts but newsfeeds across North America. God forbid someone say something involving sexual innuendo.

Archived