Injury Report: Myers, Ehrhoff and Hecht

spndnchz

Emotionally unstable as a result of concussion symptoms. That's bad, real bad.

Emotionally unstable as a concussion symptom or emotionally unstable because he has concussion symptoms again? Either way, not good.

I think they are going to need to put Hecht on LTIR, and he needs to retire. That's a bummer both for him and the Sabres.

I agree. He has had a tough go of it the last few years. Hang 'em up while you still know which way is up, Jochen. Go home and coach Manheim.

I think they are going to need to put Hecht on LTIR, and he needs to retire. That's a bummer both for him and the Sabres.

Agreed. It's really too bad, he's played well this year, and for most of his career. If it's really the end for him, I'll remember him as a player who often played above his baseline talent level.

Emotionally unstable as a concussion symptom or emotionally unstable because he has concussion symptoms again? Either way, not good.

In my opinion, one likely is the result of another. Mental breakdowns and emotional issues are symptoms of concussions, and if he's feeling frustrated as well the concussion is likely aplifying those symptoms.

Someone posted a story here not to long about about Pat Lafontaine crying during his struggles with concussions. I hope Hecht isn't that fargone.

Agreed. It's really too bad, he's played well this year, and for most of his career. If it's really the end for him, I'll remember him as a player who often played above his baseline talent level.

He was able to do this because of size and grit and determination. Darcy would do well to focus on these aspects of the players he drafts and acquires rather than focusing solely on skill.

I just want to be held? :unsure:

Considering you dont know the story this is a rather dubious remark no?

Not to be crass about it, but I think he would have been an easy trade at the deadline, and would have gotten a big return.

Why not lie about the symptoms like eveyone else. How long did it take for them to admit McNabbs or Tropps concussion.

If he does recover enough to play, his value just plummeted.

As opposed to this comment which is just douche.

Ummmmm...... anybody stop to think that maybe he needs to pass a physical before a trade is official? Trainers and doctors have been schooled by the NHL to follow strict guidelines as to how well these guys have recovered from concussions. Somehow I don't think if he's not good enough to play he's not going to be good enough to be involved in a trade.

I wouldn't want to see him traded if he wasn't hurt. He's been one of out more consistent players over the years and was one of the few guys who tried to put in an effort during the Sabres recent slump. If he isn't forced to retire because of this last consussion I would like to see him re-sign for next year. Even if we pick up another center we're still going to be short. He could be an asset as a 3rd or 4th line center. Unfortunately based on the grim reports and the concussion earlier in the year, I get a feeling his career maybe done. Hate to see it.............

Ummmmm...... anybody stop to think that maybe he needs to pass a physical before a trade is official? Trainers and doctors have been schooled by the NHL to follow strict guidelines as to how well these guys have recovered from concussions. Somehow I don't think if he's not good enough to play he's not going to be good enough to be involved in a trade.

I wouldn't want to see him traded if he wasn't hurt. He's been one of out more consistent players over the years and was one of the few guys who tried to put in an effort during the Sabres recent slump. If he isn't forced to retire because of this last consussion I would like to see him re-sign for next year. Even if we pick up another center we're still going to be short. He could be an asset as a 3rd or 4th line center. Unfortunately based on the grim reports and the concussion earlier in the year, I get a feeling his career maybe done. Hate to see it.............

not totally sure, but wasn't dominic moore injured when he was traded to the sabres? i seem to remember a broken wrist? unsure.

even if he gets a full recovery, it is time for hecht to go in my opinion. he looked really good when he came back this last time, fast, determined. but lately he looks slow and old. i am tired of how he can only take shots from the corner along the goal line, that are backhanded shots. i give him props for playing out of position, and he is a solid player, but we need to up grade in so many ways. we need a real center...and we have so many talented young wingers coming up, i would rather see them get the job. he could have landed us a good pick for sure. i care less about that now. i hope he is okay...and that he retires if it is the best thing for him.

go sabres

Hard to disconnect those two.

Could be a bad time for Hecht to be a UFA. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

And looking at Capgeek it's hard to see the team being able to finish the season without putting someone on LTIR or making a trade to make cap room for more call ups.

Sabres are ok cap-wise. They could actually add a 3 million cap hit player right now.

not totally sure, but wasn't dominic moore injured when he was traded to the sabres? i seem to remember a broken wrist? unsure.

even if he gets a full recovery, it is time for hecht to go in my opinion. he looked really good when he came back this last time, fast, determined. but lately he looks slow and old. i am tired of how he can only take shots from the corner along the goal line, that are backhanded shots. i give him props for playing out of position, and he is a solid player, but we need to up grade in so many ways. we need a real center...and we have so many talented young wingers coming up, i would rather see them get the job. he could have landed us a good pick for sure. i care less about that now. i hope he is okay...and that he retires if it is the best thing for him.

go sabres

Are there a lot of Sabres fans in Portland? I'm thinking about relocating and Portland is one of the places I am considering.

McNabb is skating with the team, although it wasn't specified in what capacity. Ennis centering Gerbe and Stafford, although apparently that's only because Adam is already in Montreal, so it looks like Adam may finally be moved off the wing. IIRC Ennis played C in juniors, but I have no idea if he was drafted with the intention of him ever playing there in the pros. But if we're intent on playing wingers at center, I think he has a better skill set for it than Leino does.

McNabb is skating with the team, although it wasn't specified in what capacity. Ennis centering Gerbe and Stafford, although apparently that's only because Adam is already in Montreal, so it looks like Adam may finally be moved off the wing. IIRC Ennis played C in juniors, but I have no idea if he was drafted with the intention of him ever playing there in the pros. But if we're intent on playing wingers at center, I think he has a better skill set for it than Leino does.

I'm not so sure. He can hold onto pucks in the offensive zone because of his skating ability, so he is a push with Leino here, but his build is ill-suited for the defensive zone responsibilities of a center in Ruff's system.

I'm not so sure. He can hold onto pucks in the offensive zone because of his skating ability, so he is a push with Leino here, but his build is ill-suited for the defensive zone responsibilities of a center in Ruff's system.

Offensively I think Ennis is much better suited to center than Leino is, and his superior skating/speed would help him on the back check too. But you're right, in the Sabres' end Ennis would be a big liability. If he put on another 15-20 pounds he probably wouldn't be any worse at it than Roy, not that that's really a compliment. It's a desperation move and I certainly wouldn't advocate making the switch mid-season, but if we still have a gaping hole after the offseason, I wouldn't mind at least seeing it experimented with in training camp and preseason.

Offensively I think Ennis is much better suited to center than Leino is, and his superior skating/speed would help him on the back check too. But you're right, in the Sabres' end Ennis would be a big liability. If he put on another 15-20 pounds he probably wouldn't be any worse at it than Roy, not that that's really a compliment. It's a desperation move and I certainly wouldn't advocate making the switch mid-season, but if we still have a gaping hole after the offseason, I wouldn't mind at least seeing it experimented with in training camp and preseason.

Honestly I'm sick of seeing the winger moved to center experiments. The Sabres need to figure out a way to acquire a true center (or 2 or 3).

Honestly I'm sick of seeing the winger moved to center experiments. The Sabres need to figure out a way to acquire a true center (or 2 or 3).

I agree, and the number is probably 2. Assuming Adam is ready to be C full time next year and we trade Roy and let Gaustad go (all reasonable expectations), we have...Luke Adam and Ellis/McCormick for the 4th line. So my minimum expectation is that we'd need a top 6 center and a 3rd line center. Come to think of it, heading into next year with Adam as our top guy and Leino/Ennis as our #2 is quite nauseating, although I assume any Roy deal involves an NHL-ready center prospect in return.

Edit: Sorry for the thread derailing with musings of more wingers playing center.

Archived