GDT: Sabres at Canadiens 11/14/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

in the last 5 games the bruins have outscored their opponents 30-10... I somehow think that their cup hangover is gone and they will not be in the basement come December. Also the difference btw the Bruins and the Sabres is 6pts or 3 wins... to quote the jazz singer "we ain't [done] nothing yet"

So, for two periods I didn’t like my team’s play.

I mean, it was kinda what one would expect from a road game in Montreal this time of year — safe, patient, a little dull.

Which wasn’t good enough, considering what we went through on Saturday.

Finally, in the third we saw some passion, some creativity, some will.

And it paid off.

Some observations:

• I’m not sure I like it long term, but adding Roy to the top line sure made for some magic. I really worry what that does to our depth though.

• Drew Stafford is trying hard. Too hard. He looked uptight out there.

• Didn’t notice Mike Weber much unless I looked for him. Then I saw a solid, hard-to-play-against NHL defenceman. This team could use more of that.

• If Ryan Miller had let in that second Montreal goal, there would be a thread about it right now. I’m just saying.

• Sick move by Boyes in the shootout. I can’t help but think he would be contributing more if Lindy could find the right role for him.

• I find it hard to quantify this because he’s leading the team in ice time, but I’m not sure Ehrhoff is being used in optimum fashion either.

• Coach sure did the right thing by shortening the bench in the third though.

• Goose looked like he wanted to be violent tonight, he just couldn’t figure out exactly how.

• Didn’t miss Tyler Myers much.

• Didn’t seem like Sekera did either. Funny how his play seemed to slip when he was moved up with Tyler.

If Saturday never happened, I’d generally be satisfied with tonight. But it did, and this team still has a lot to prove. Montreal was not the test we needed. Nov. 23 can’t come soon enough.

I mean, it was kinda what one would expect from a road game in Montreal this time of year — safe, patient, a little dull.

And it paid off.

Some observations:

• I’m not sure I like it long term, but adding Roy to the top line sure made for some magic. I really worry what that does to our depth though.

• Didn’t notice Mike Weber much unless I looked for him. Then I saw a solid, hard-to-play-against NHL defenceman. This team could use more of that.

• If Ryan Miller had let in that second Montreal goal, there would be a thread about it right now. I’m just saying.

• Sick move by Boyes in the shootout. I can’t help but think he would be contributing more if Lindy could find the right role for him.

• I find it hard to quantify this because he’s leading the team in ice time, but I’m not sure Ehrhoff is being used in optimum fashion either.

• Goose looked like he wanted to be violent tonight, he just couldn’t figure out exactly how.

• Didn’t seem like Sekera did either. Funny how his play seemed to slip when he was moved up with Tyler.

If Saturday never happened, I’d generally be satisfied with tonight. But it did, and this team still has a lot to prove. Montreal was not the test we needed. Nov. 23 can’t come soon enough.

Nice post.

And it paid off.

Some observations:

I told you what to expect on 11/23. Don't get your hopes up. Anything and everything will be called until anyone who can cause any trouble is out of the game (assuming that there will be any trouble). The Bruins will not initiate anything. And if the Sabres don't, it will become a harmless affair. I think that's a safe bet.

As meaningless a two points as you will see in the NHL. Two days after being bitch-slapped in Boston the Sabres let the big bad Montreal Canadians run all over Enroth and again did nothing. I would refer to this group as Team Pu$$y but really, why insult pu$$ies like that.

I never thought I wold see a professional hockey team as monumentally soft as the Buffalo Sabres are. At least they left Montreal with two points, no pride just the points. Those are points they will desperately need once Enroth is on the shelf with an injury and Drew McIntyre is the starting goaltender.

I saw it in Red Fisher's column and it hit me -- that Ryan Miller was 1-5 with a 4.16 GAA this year, being pulled in 2 of his last 3 games. I don't think Ryan's hat has been on straight all year. I really believe he's been suffering post concussion syndrome this year. The decision to head out to meet that idiot Lucic straight up was not a good idea...maybe the man wasn't in his right mind. When you have such a size difference, you have to outsmart him. I remember how Hasek used to deal with the situation, he'd belly-flop out to meet the breakaway man and submarine him. That's the smart way to do it. Maybe Miller just isn't that smart or maybe he can't think straight...We might be looking at a Sidney Crosby-type absence for Miller and he shouldn't come back until his head is on straight -- otherwise he'll do more damage to himself and the team.

Meantime we should finally do away with players who don't have much of a role on this team (you know who you are) and bring up promising big kids with a physical edge to them.

And last, I don't think Lindy is a championship calibre coach. He's had 13 kicks at the can and has come up with a record that's a little better than mediocre. We've got to get rid of our weak links and he is a big one.

As meaningless a two points as you will see in the NHL. Two days after being bitch-slapped in Boston the Sabres let the big bad Montreal Canadians run all over Enroth and again did nothing. I would refer to this group as Team Pu$$y but really, why insult pu$$ies like that.

I never thought I wold see a professional hockey team as monumentally soft as the Buffalo Sabres are. At least they left Montreal with two points, no pride just the points. Those are points they will desperately need once Enroth is on the shelf with an injury and Drew McIntyre is the starting goaltender.

Good morning sunshine.

My thoughts.

I am more than a little disturbed that a team that was embarrassed two nights earlier didn't show up until the 3rd period. This team still has the same flaws it had last season, they are chronic underacheivers until their backs are against the wall.

Weber had a solid game. He looked like he'd been playing all season. No rust that I saw.

I for one am glad the Sabres didn't take the bait when Enroth got hit. I will be greatly disappointed if it isn't dealt with early in their next match with Montreal.

Roy looked great with Vanek and Pommer. I assume this means Adam is on the 2nd line now and will be coming back down to earth.

I am starting to believe that Enroth will be just fine.

Not even close to the same type of incident, but once again focus on the negative..........Enroth was in the blue paint, but he did turn to set a pick on Cole, who was taking liberties and being a Jackass and he got a penalty at a really bad time.........Being in OT meant that nothing was going to happen and like I said it was nothing like what Lucic did to Miller........The Sabres were focused on winning the game and they did........ :beer:

Not even close to the same type of incident, but once again focus on the negative..........Enroth was in the blue paint, but he did turn to set a pick on Cole, who was taking liberties and being a Jackass and he got a penalty at a really bad time.........Being in OT meant that nothing was going to happen and like I said it was nothing like what Lucic did to Miller........The Sabres were focused on winning the game and they did........ :beer:

+1 :thumbsup:

My thoughts.

I am more than a little disturbed that a team that was embarrassed two nights earlier didn't show up until the 3rd period. This team still has the same flaws it had last season, they are chronic underacheivers until their backs are against the wall.

Weber had a solid game. He looked like he'd been playing all season. No rust that I saw.

I for one am glad the Sabres didn't take the bait when Enroth got hit. I will be greatly disappointed if it isn't dealt with early in their next match with Montreal.

Roy looked great with Vanek and Pommer. I assume this means Adam is on the 2nd line now and will be coming back down to earth.

Good thoughtful observations... I agree. Only caveat is that I did not think the effort was bad the first two periods overall, just not much to show for it. I thought they definitely turned it up a notch in the third, and got rewarded.

My thoughts.

Ah, some sense. I agree, timing is everything. A goalie run while out of the crease with two-plus periods left? Deal with it that night. A goalie clipped in the crease during overtime? Get the win (hopefully on the ensuing powerplay to really make 'em pay, but that didn't happen) and beat the hell out of them next game.

Ah, some sense. I agree, timing is everything. A goalie run while out of the crease with two-plus periods left? Deal with it that night. A goalie clipped in the crease during overtime? Get the win (hopefully on the ensuing powerplay to really make 'em pay, but that didn't happen) and beat the hell out of them next game.

If you watch carefully, Enroth stepped into Cole just a tad, in an effort to draw the call. Nice play by Enroth--especially given all the controversy. Sharp young guy.

+2

Is chz drunk enough to post yet?

Yes.

I think it's interesting how little the hit on Enroth is being discussed. If the Sabres ended up losing this game on that Vanek penalty in OT or in the shootout, this board would be exploding with what a terrible bunch pansies the Sabres are. No doubt about it.

Secondly, I wonder who sits on D for the game against the devils. It can't be Myers again, or could it?

Cole's hit was just stupid. Pommers had some words for him but different circumstance than Lucic.

Myers can come back but for God's sake pair him with Regehr again.

Btw, where is the antagonist poster tonight?

We need someone to be a Snowmobiler or SpikedWarrior.

:oops:

Roy played a great game last night. Even better with Van and Pom. As much as it looked good we need him with Leino and Staff IMO.

I don't agree that the Sabres matched the Flyers toughness last year. I think that the Sabres have more skill, and ultimately it was the Flyers' toughness that put the Sabres' skill down.

This is why it's so frustrating: add a little testicular fortitude, a mean-streak, and some muscle to the roster, and the Sabres could indeed go very deep into the playoffs with most of the skill intact.

Especially now with an amazing goaltender tandem, and a very hot Vanek and Roy (which pains me to say).

With pronger sitting I thought SnR had it right.

Yes.

Cole's hit was just stupid. Pommers had some words for him but different circumstance than Lucic.

Myers can come back but for God's sake pair him with Regehr again.

:oops:

Roy played a great game last night. Even better with Van and Pom. As much as it looked good we need him with Leino and Staff IMO.

Agreed that Myers needs to be with Regehr because Sekera is not doing him any favors. Also I think Leino and Stafford are going to get some ice time together because I assume the plan is to put Ennis on that line when its all said and done. A bigger concern might be what the hell happened to Luke Adam? The thing I remember most about him was RJ saying "Adam missed" because he seemed to miss every opportunity he had.

Agreed that Myers needs to be with Regehr because Sekera is not doing him any favors. Also I think Leino and Stafford are going to get some ice time together because I assume the plan is to put Ennis on that line when its all said and done. A bigger concern might be what the hell happened to Luke Adam? The thing I remember most about him was RJ saying "Adam missed" because he seemed to miss every opportunity he had.

Regher wasn't making Myers look good either. Regher could definitely pick up the defensive slack .. but that's no reason to bring Myers back into the roster. Kid needs to get his head straight.

Actually, I think the kid needs to develop a better workout routine. He is constantly looking gassed out there. He's one of the youngest guys on the team (THE youngest maybe?). That doesn't even make sense to me. Hit the weights, hit the treadmill... do something ... 5 hour energy ... veinsveinsveins.com I dunno. But man he looks tired all the time.

If you watch carefully, Enroth stepped into Cole just a tad, in an effort to draw the call. Nice play by Enroth--especially given all the controversy. Sharp young guy.

This is 100% correct. Enroth did a great job at drawing a penalty there. I bet he was laughing immediately after the call.

And it paid off.

Some observations:

Good post.

My thoughts.

Another one.

My 2 cents:

1. I thought the Sabres came out a bit shell-shocked, but gathered themselves and played pretty well in the 2nd and 3rd periods. They didn't burst out of the gate hell-bent on death and destruction, but they played a physical game overall, didn't quit and got a good road divisional win in a tough building against a team that had won 6 out of 8.

2. I think Lindy put Kaleta back on with Gaustad & Gerbe because he wanted a more physical tone. It does leave Boyes kinda stranded on the 4th line, but it also produces a more physical game from the Sabres.

3. Speaking of the 4th line, Habs fans have to be dismayed that they're paying Gomez $7MM+ to center theirs. Ouch.

4. Enroth looked very good again.

5. I agree that Stafford is squeezing the stick.

6. I'm on board with keeping Weber in when Lindy is ready to bring Myers back. Weber played well last night and definitely adds toughness to the lineup. I'd probably bench Leopold, keep Weber with Regehr, keep Reggie with MAG and pair Myers with Ehrhoff.

7. Not sure if Lindy brings Myers back tomorrow. They played pretty good team D last night -- maybe having Myers watch another game would help in the long run.

8. My DVR cut out so I didn't see the hit on Enroth in OT. Anyone got a link?

2. I think Lindy put Kaleta back on with Gaustad & Gerbe because he wanted a more physical tone. It does leave Boyes kinda stranded on the 4th line, but it also produces a more physical game from the Sabres.

8. My DVR cut out so I didn't see the hit on Enroth in OT. Anyone got a link?

2. Is there really a set 3rd/4th line with this team right now? I didn't pay as much attention last night, but in Boston there was a constant shuffling of players between those 2 lines. Right from the first period McCormick was being bounced back and forth between lines.

8. There's really nothing to see here. Cole looped through the crease to pressure our d-man behind the net. Enroth saw him coming and glided forward a bit into his path. An idiotic/brilliant move for the Habs/Sabres.

On keeping Roy with Pominville and Vanek, does Montreal have a true shutdown defensive pairing? What happens when we face a team that does? I don't mind putting our biggest eggs in one basket when they can overwhelm any defensive pairing put out there, but it's dangerous when a team can focus on neutralizing them. Also, does anyone really want to see Leino-Adam-Stafford in our own end too often? Yikes. It was a nice situational change by Lindy that paid off well, but as a long term solution?

Roy on the Vanek line again is perfect proof of just how badly the Sabres need a real center. Lukes youth is starting to show.I like his physicality and net presence but his vision/awarness is youthful.

Hard to leave Roy on that line ,and i hope Lindy sends him back, it makes the Sabres even more of a one line team and Roy always reverts to Roy.

Roy needs to figure out how to score without Pom and Vanek on his own line.....(the rest of the team needs to do that too)

Maybe it is time to see Leino center Vanek and Pom again. Maybe Leino , Vanek, Boyes too.(that way Pom goes to Roys line as part of the experiment.)

Myers played a perfect game in the booth. (i think a part of his problem may be minutes. This kid needs to go to the third pair and pull 15 min max for a while.) It would be interesting to see how he plays fresh in a few games. A complete physical is in order too.

If you need to pair your "defensive prodigy" with your only true shutdown defender in an attempt to minmize the youths defensive shortcomings you are in deep doo doo. It weakens the pairing and leaves you without your best physical shutdown pair.Tell me again why we got rid of Tallinder and Lydman

Weaver was good against a tier two team. Other defenders were not.

Trade Wish list: A center, one top ten defender, some grit that can score, and a enforcer..

Archived