GDT: Sabres at Canadiens 11/14/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

Trade Wish list: A center, one top ten defender, some grit that can score, and a enforcer..

why not just throw in true sniper, power play point defensemen, and elite goaltender? A complete resurfacing of the Sabre roster after the all star break. i mean, it is a wish list correct? :wallbash:

why not just throw in true sniper, power play point defensemen, and elite goaltender? A complete resurfacing of the Sabre roster after the all star break. i mean, it is a wish list correct? :wallbash:

They are not on the list because they do not need a elite goaltender, a sniper, or a pp point defenseman. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

BECAUSE They already have an elite goalie , what is missing is an elite d in front of him.

They aready have and a scorer with 40-50 goal, 85-100 pt potential if they can find a true playmaking center to put on that line. (the Sabres will be top ten goals scored at the end ofthe year)In case you have not noticed they already have two other 30 goal guys to

They already have four guys who can play the point effectively on the pp , which will be in the top ten at years end.

AND...I did not say this year. There is one critical piece this year..it is a dman or a one center in that order. Some cheap grit would be nice too.Note i said or, not, and or, or, and .That means one or the other, meaning which ever is available, if available. :) I thought you were serving meals for coach appert these days?

Actually, I think the kid needs to develop a better workout routine. He is constantly looking gassed out there. He's one of the youngest guys on the team (THE youngest maybe?). That doesn't even make sense to me. Hit the weights, hit the treadmill... do something ... 5 hour energy ... veinsveinsveins.com I dunno. But man he looks tired all the time.

i recall, but now cannot find, a quote from him within the last few weeks where he was talking about being tired, needing to manage his shifts better, get better nutrition because he's a big rangy guy ... . my question was/is, if it wasn't an issue for you when you were 19, why is it an issue now that you're 21? there may be a good answer to the question, but i don't know what it is.

i still think the guy will get through this and be better for it, and i still feel good about having him as our #1 d-man for the foreseeable future.

They are not on the list because they do not need a elite goaltender, a sniper, or a pp point defenseman. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

BECAUSE They already have an elite goalie , what is missing is an elite d in front of him.

They aready have and a scorer with 40-50 goal, 85-100 pt potential if they can find a true playmaking center to put on that line. (the Sabres will be top ten goals scored at the end ofthe year)In case you have not noticed they already have two other 30 goal guys to

They already have four guys who can play the point effectively on the pp , which will be in the top ten at years end.

AND...I did not say this year. There is one critical piece this year..it is a dman or a one center in that order. Some cheap grit would be nice too.Note i said or, not, and or, or, and .That means one or the other, meaning which ever is available, if available. :) I thought you were serving meals for coach appert these days?

i know i know. i was just playing. i do find it funny though about all the pieces we still need. i mean coming into the season there was a lot of talk about our defense after the signing of ehrhoff and trade for regehr. talk of the Sabres having one of the top defensive corps in the league. a pysical regehr, a improving myers. solid skill in ehrhoff, leopold and possibly grags. more grit with weber and sekera as well. i dont see the need for another defensemen. we have enough new pieces there that are obviously struggling to work together so far. i was glad to see myers finally sit. ive been fuming over his crap a$$ play for weeks. i do think this unit will turn it aroung though, and myers will be what we all want him to be.

we can go on about the need for another center, but i think adam has what it takes, and would like to see him continue to play and develop. we cant get all our players from other rosters. need to develop our own guys too. like one poster said, follow darcy's plan, the one he had before 3 billion fell in his lap. scoring is the very least of concern with this team. much improved defense, some attitude(which i believe will be coming after they were questioned as men the other night) and figuring out what is wrong with miller(see lack of defense) is what this team needs.

i dont think we need that prototype goon. mccormick has plenty of grit as well as gaustad and kaleta. there is only one lucic in the league. if those guys are scared to drop gloves with him, then dont. just go take out another one of thier smallish players. he didnt mind picking on one of our small guys. just play better d, be more physical. that's all this team needs, and we have the players on the roster right now to do it. i mean with all the flaws this team has, arent we #1 in the division?????

i know i know. i was just playing. i do find it funny though about all the pieces we still need. i mean coming into the season there was a lot of talk about our defense after the signing of ehrhoff and trade for regehr. talk of the Sabres having one of the top defensive corps in the league. a pysical regehr, a improving myers. solid skill in ehrhoff, leopold and possibly grags. more grit with weber and sekera as well. i dont see the need for another defensemen. we have enough new pieces there that are obviously struggling to work together so far. i was glad to see myers finally sit. ive been fuming over his crap a$$ play for weeks. i do think this unit will turn it aroung though, and myers will be what we all want him to be.

Have hope brother. This team is closer than you think because they have pieces other teams will need or desire.I think a different scheme would have integrated them faster but i admit saying that is using hindsight.One more top flight d man gives you real shutdown pair potential. Maybe two shutdown pairs with a couple of the kids mated up properly.

we can go on about the need for another center, but i think adam has what it takes, and would like to see him continue to play and develop. we cant get all our players from other rosters. need to develop our own guys too. like one poster said, follow darcy's plan, the one he had before 3 billion fell in his lap. scoring is the very least of concern with this team. much improved defense, some attitude(which i believe will be coming after they were questioned as men the other night) and figuring out what is wrong with miller(see lack of defense) is what this team needs.

We can politely disagree here i think. I like Adam but i do not think Pom and Vanek can wait for him to develop. There is 11 +mill on that line... Luke does not yet have the skills to maximize their potential nor does Roy.

i dont think we need that prototype goon. mccormick has plenty of grit as well as gaustad and kaleta. there is only one lucic in the league. if those guys are scared to drop gloves with him, then dont. just go take out another one of thier smallish players. he didnt mind picking on one of our small guys. just play better d, be more physical. that's all this team needs, and we have the players on the roster right now to do it. i mean with all the flaws this team has, arent we #1 in the division?????

A team that plays small needs a big guy with hockey skills that can fight. Once you change the commplexion of this play small team it becomes less important. Cody is a nice kid with guts and skill but not a NHL figter and never will be.I would not want him to be. .

Have faith, one move mid year, if possible, could have a big big impact latter.

First of all, I think the media is making this whole goalie running business into more than it is. I think Lucic deserved a suspension, but as the game played out that was yet to be determined. I thought at the time that the reaction was about right. Big pile-up in the corner, some pushes, probably a few punches thrown that weren't seen on camera. Let's say the Sabres pounded Lucic into a bloody pulp after the hit. Several Sabres would have been penalized and maybe suspended and they still would have lost the game. We would all be here on the board complaining about how brainless crazy they got after the hit. They are not out there to win fights, they are there to win games.

In retrospect (especially knowing Lucic got no suspension), a stronger response would have been better, but in the moment, I thought it was okay.

The hit on Enroth was a case of Enroth channeling his inner Eddy Balfour. Looking at the replay, he was in tight against the post, then drifted out into Cole's path and went down like he was shot. Balfour used to do that all the time, with the same result- a powerplay for his team.

Finally, back to the quote....

Who knew Brad Boyes had that in him? Nice.

Well it wasn't perfect but it's a win.

I like Mike Weber.

I heard that in the locker room after the Bruins game, Boyes was one of the outspoken leaders who rallied the team. I suspect Lindy's selection of him for the shootout was a recognition of Brad's leadership. If so, kudos on Lindy, especially since it worked out.

Weber did play solid, and I hope Ruff sits the odd D-man out in the dog house going forward. Make EVERY D-man earn his spot on the team. Off game? Sit in the press box and give the other guy a chance. I bet it would raise the level of play.

I heard that in the locker room after the Bruins game, Boyes was one of the outspoken leaders who rallied the team. I suspect Lindy's selection of him for the shootout was a recognition of Brad's leadership. If so, kudos on Lindy, especially since it worked out.

It's nice to hear that Boyes helped to rally the team, but he's going to be involved in every shootout this year regardless. As somebody else pointed out, he's one of the best ever in the short history of the shootout. Dude's got moves.

It's nice to hear that Boyes helped to rally the team, but he's going to be involved in every shootout this year regardless. As somebody else pointed out, he's one of the best ever in the short history of the shootout. Dude's got moves when there is no danger that another player will hit him.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Couldn't let that pass. Boyes is playing with much greater desperation lately. Lets see him keep it up.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Couldn't let that pass. Boyes is playing with much greater desperation lately. Lets see him keep it up.

:D

I also just noticed that the Montreal media gave Boyes the 1st star, with Pacioretty and Cole getting the other two. Were they THAT impressed by the SO goal or was it an eff you to Roy, who was quite obviously the most important player of the game?

I also just noticed that the Montreal media gave Boyes the 1st star, with Pacioretty and Cole getting the other two. Were they THAT impressed by the SO goal or was it an eff you to Roy, who was quite obviously the most important player of the game?

I think it was an FU. Boyes played hard, but it didn't result in anything. How dare someone with a french sounding name not play for Montreal. Although they seem to have switched their preference to french-latino names now.

i recall, but now cannot find, a quote from him within the last few weeks where he was talking about being tired, needing to manage his shifts better, get better nutrition because he's a big rangy guy ... . my question was/is, if it wasn't an issue for you when you were 19, why is it an issue now that you're 21? there may be a good answer to the question, but i don't know what it is.

i still think the guy will get through this and be better for it, and i still feel good about having him as our #1 d-man for the foreseeable future.

When I first saw that quote I thought Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I seem to recall an Edmonton Oiler that was diagnossed with it and missed time awhile back.

I doubt it is anything as onerous as CFS but it did jump into my head.

Not even close to the same type of incident, but once again focus on the negative..........Enroth was in the blue paint, but he did turn to set a pick on Cole, who was taking liberties and being a Jackass and he got a penalty at a really bad time.........Being in OT meant that nothing was going to happen and like I said it was nothing like what Lucic did to Miller........The Sabres were focused on winning the game and they did........ :beer:

"same type of incident?" it was a continuation of Friday. The Canadians spent the entire night in the Sabres crease. Mathieu Darche spent more time in the Sabres crease than Miller did in his last start.

It was OT. In a game in November. These are the same old excuses this team has used for years. The excused offered by the team and the same excuses offered by many on this board. Has it been that long since this team had any toughness that the fans have given up hope the Sabres will ever have any?

When I first saw that quote I thought Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I seem to recall an Edmonton Oiler that was diagnossed with it and missed time awhile back.

I doubt it is anything as onerous as CFS but it did jump into my head.

Chronic fatigue syndrome.....that's a fairly undiagnosable illness, and def not likely in this case, its like saying he has fibromyalgia ;). A lot of changes occur in 2 years in males in that age range, some more time spent on dietary and maybe a hyperbaric treatment couldn't hurt. I think hell get back in due time, patience is a virtue.

I haven't been able to read through this massive thread yet, but I just wanted to add that the Sabres played great hockey, in my view, against the Canadiens. I was frustrated through two periods that their efforts weren't rewarded on the score sheet. In the third period, they really dialed up the intensity and really dominated the game territorially and otherwise.

It reminded me how fun they are to watch when they're rolling like that. I am still not comfortable that we have the grit necessary to go all the way, but add that to the mix and it's exciting to think about!

Do you mean Ruah ?

Roy on the Vanek line again is perfect proof of just how badly the Sabres need a real center. Luke's youth is starting to show.I like his physicality and net presence but his vision/awareness is youthful.

Hard to leave Roy on that line ,and i hope Lindy sends him back, it makes the Sabres even more of a one line team and Roy always reverts to Roy.

Roy needs to figure out how to score without Pom and Vanek on his own line.....(the rest of the team needs to do that too)

Maybe it is time to see Leino center Vanek and Pom again. Maybe Leino , Vanek, Boyes too.(that way Pom goes to Roy's line as part of the experiment.)

Myers played a perfect game in the booth. (i think a part of his problem may be minutes. This kid needs to go to the third pair and pull 15 min max for a while.) It would be interesting to see how he plays fresh in a few games. A complete physical is in order too.

If you need to pair your "defensive prodigy" with your only true shutdown defender in an attempt to minimize the youths defensive shortcomings you are in deep doo doo. It weakens the pairing and leaves you without your best physical shutdown pair.Tell me again why we got rid of Tallinder and Lydman

Weaver was good against a tier two team. Other defenders were not.

Trade Wish list: A center, one top ten defender, some grit that can score, and an enforcer..

(I had to fix just a couple of the grammar/spelling errors. I'm a strange monster like that. Sorry :oops: )

I would not touch the pairing of Vanek and Pommer. I don't think that's a good idea.

EDIT: Wait, who's Weaver?

First of all, I think the media is making this whole goalie running business into more than it is. I think Lucic deserved a suspension, but as the game played out that was yet to be determined. I thought at the time that the reaction was about right. Big pile-up in the corner, some pushes, probably a few punches thrown that weren't seen on camera. Let's say the Sabres pounded Lucic into a bloody pulp after the hit. Several Sabres would have been penalized and maybe suspended and they still would have lost the game. We would all be here on the board complaining about how brainless crazy they got after the hit. They are not out there to win fights, they are there to win games.

In retrospect (especially knowing Lucic got no suspension), a stronger response would have been better, but in the moment, I thought it was okay.

The hit on Enroth was a case of Enroth channeling his inner Eddy Balfour. Looking at the replay, he was in tight against the post, then drifted out into Cole's path and went down like he was shot. Balfour used to do that all the time, with the same result- a powerplay for his team.

Finally, back to the quote....

Weber did play solid, and I hope Ruff sits the odd D-man out in the dog house going forward. Make EVERY D-man earn his spot on the team. Off game? Sit in the press box and give the other guy a chance. I bet it would raise the level of play.

Somehow I missed this post earlier today. Thanks for the tidbits on Boyes. :thumbsup:

(I had to fix just a couple of the grammar/spelling errors. I'm a strange monster like that. Sorry :oops: )

I would not touch the pairing of Vanek and Pommer. I don't think that's a good idea.

EDIT: Wait, who's Weaver?

:D We can talk about your propensity to correct stranger’s grammar and spelling if you wish? Is this a deep seated impulse that requires immediate gratification when triggered or more of a random, sometimes controllable, impulse? Does caffiene have an effect on it? I find it interesting that there appears to be significant number of people here with the same inclination/affinity. Do you think there is a correlation between forum particiption and the affliction?

Weaver is old English spelling for the German surname Weber. Weaver and Weber are the same professions in different languages. :rolleyes:

"same type of incident?" it was a continuation of Friday. The Canadians spent the entire night in the Sabres crease. Mathieu Darche spent more time in the Sabres crease than Miller did in his last start.

You outdo yourself.

The surprise wasn't that Montreal had net presence, they didn't (except for Cole - who worked his way in quite a bit in the first and had a good game) The surprise was they weren't getting much.

That's why the Habs posted Darche up for about 4 minutes on the PP - which (yawn) didn't bother anybody.

Darche posting up on the powerplay is a pretty desperate move for Martin --- because their powerplay has suuuuuuuuuuuucked. It's like putting Matty Ellis in front of the net on PP, wouldn't you say?

You outdo yourself.

The surprise wasn't that Montreal had net presence, they didn't (except for Cole - who worked his way in quite a bit in the first and had a good game) The surprise was they weren't getting much.

That's why the Habs posted Darche up for about 4 minutes on the PP - which (yawn) didn't bother anybody.

Darche posting up on the powerplay is a pretty desperate move for Martin --- because their powerplay has suuuuuuuuuuuucked. It's like putting Matty Ellis in front of the net on PP, wouldn't you say?

The Habs were in Enroth's chest the entire night. If they weren't I wouldn't say they were. The Habs used Enroth's crease like their own personal Kensington Expressway. The Habs first goal was a result of Enroth being tied up with a Hab and not being able to get across net.

I can understand the protectionist attitude of some fans especially after the Sabres were exposed to and ridiculed by the hockey world.

The Habs were in Enroth's chest the entire night. If they weren't I wouldn't say they were. The Habs used Enroth's crease like their own personal Kensington Expressway. The Habs first goal was a result of Enroth being tied up with a Hab and not being able to get across net.

I can understand the protectionist attitude of some fans especially after the Sabres were exposed to and ridiculed by the hockey world.

You're making stuff up. Like in the other thread, it's perfectly fine to be pissed about the Bruins game, but let's keep it real.

No one was in Enroth's chest the entire night, and if there was an infraction on the Canadiens' first goal, it was the guy on the ground holding a Sabre's (I think it was Regehr's?) stick, not interference with Enroth.

Archived