GDT: Flames at Sabres 11/4/11 7:30PM

Assquatch

Unless we can figure out a way to get out of the cap hit from PA's buyout, there's no way to fit all that under the cap.

Throw in nfreeman as a salary dump?

You messing with me?

You looking for trouble?

I'm watching you.

What happened, did Lindy coach the spunk and creativity out of you with his demands you play his "system"?

Well...

spndnchz has started 4 of the last 5 GDTs and the Sabres have lost all 4. I'm switching up the mojo a bit; spank me if you must.Tonight starts a string of 7 consecutive weeks where the Sabres play Friday+Saturday. I hope Enroth gets 7 starts out of those 14 games.

So if I extrapolate your idea... we should start Enroth tonight?

Yeah it's all my fault.

no its not :blush:

even though that was sarcastic, Miller would have never said it... :oops:

She's at best an above average Mod, and she's failed to deliver the "Stanley Cup Parade will be Saturday at Noon" thread. Assquatch has shown a lot of poise and had success in the few thread starts he's had. We should trade chz (potentially packaged with the liger) and bring in a solid youtube clip response poster and a high 2012 draft pick.

Why am I getting traded? I have behaved recently and I stayed out of the Miller V. Enroth festering dead horse puddle thread until the end... I bet you could get Malkin for Chz and Me but then his knee would give out and we would go on to win a stanely cup... bottom line Chz has a lot of potential and since we are under the cap as is, lets trade the rights to PA since he is like our Jagr, hes got at least 1 good post left in him.

On a side note, the sabres should win this game because Calgary is really not that good and I fully expect the team to come out hard... I think that our defensive pairings should be better tonight and I think if Leopold and Ehrhoff can be more effective defensively than it will help... Sekera and Myers have shown good things in the past and Weber/Regehr should have worked out the jitters and could be a solid shut down line. I always hope for a win, but at this point and I know it is early, this is a must win type of game... you cant go 1-5 at home...(the Europe home game does not count and idc if it does officially, it wasnt played where the sabres have struggled most)

For some reason, it completely disappeared from their web site, but I managed to copy it before it disappeared:

Regehr jacked for tilt

George Johnson

Calgary Herald

November 4, 2011 3:11 AM

Robyn Regehr is nothing if not an equal-opportunity assassin.

Old friend. Current foe. Makes nary a whit of difference.

"No, there won't be any hesitation,'' assures the former Flames rearguard, who'll face his old team tonight in Buffalo (5: 30 p.m., Sportsnet, SN 960).

No quick peeks? No astonished double-takes? No imperceptible, perhaps even unconscious, let-up, if only for old times sake?

"None at all. If the opportunity arises . . . Hey, you know me. That's what I do.

I hit people.''

Whether it be Jarome Iginla trolling down the wood (a Regehr-Iginla collision would certainly send a sizable chunk of recent Calgary Flames' history - nearly 2,000 games worth - flying willy-nilly, all over the place) or a wellthatched Olli Jokinen in full majestic swoop, there's simply no room for nostalgia.

Heads-up, fellas. "I'm looking forward to it,'' says Regehr of his date against the franchise he helped shape over the past 11 seasons, the Calgary Flames. "I have been for a while. I've played with and against a lot of guys growing up, in major junior, the Hockey Canada program.

You get used to that side of the game. You wind up playing against each other all the time. Sure you can have friendly relationships with guys when you're off the ice, but once you're on it, we're all trying to win.

"Everyone understands that.''

He won't deny having daydreamed about training those clinical Carlos-the-Jackal sights on a moving target tonight, angling his prey off toward the board signage, into the Grey Area of Doom, before administering a noisy, painful coup de grace.

"Oh, yeah. Any preparation I do before a game, you run through the personnel of the team you're playing against. Tendencies, things like that. Having played with a lot of those guys a long time, I'm pretty familiar with them. Having said that, they know me, and the things I like to do, pretty well, too.

"No surprises either way, right?

"So there could be some, uh . . . interesting matchups.''

That's understating the matter ever-so-slightly. Four full months may have passed since Regehr waived his no-trade clause and Flames GM Jay Feaster shipped the franchise's second-ever longestserving player to Buffalo. Enough time, surely, for people around here to recalibrate. Still, the sight of Robyn Regehr wearing No. 24 in Buffalo Sabres' togs this evening is going to be just plain . . . weird.

"I do think it'll be a little awkward during the warm-up,'' he concedes, "to look over and see a bunch of familiar faces, in that jersey, on the other side of the ice from me. But I'm hoping that once we start playing, get a few bumps in, everything will just sort of calm down. This is a little different sort of situation, I know, because my leaving didn't happen during the season, so there's been some separation time. That helps.''

Regehr tries to keep tabs on his old team, although he admits Northwest Division games are televised a trifle late to stay up and watch in upstate New York. And he's spoken on the phone to a few ex-teammates - Miikka Kiprusoff, Jay Bouwmeester, Cory Sarich - over the past month and a half, just to keep abreast of the news.

"I was kind of hoping to see some of the guys before our game, but then I saw they're playing in Detroit (Thursday), which is too bad, and we're flying out right after the game Friday because we play the next night in Ottawa. So I really won't get any chance to spend much time with them at all.

"Sure I miss Calgary. Both my ife and I enjoyed our time there. t felt like home. We made a lot of ood friends, and that's always the ardest part of leaving someplace. ut business is business. You on't forget, but you move on.''

Right now, both the Sabres and Flames are desperately looking to move forward. Buffalo has lost two on the trot, and four of it past five. Regehr's old mates, meanwhile, will be endeavouring to follow up a rare win at Detroit to inch back up to .500 and open a three-game road trip.

"We had a pretty good start, going over to Europe was different, but I thought our first four or five games we played pretty well,'' reasons Regehr. "But after that . . . we've really struggled. We just haven't put together consistent efforts, and making mistakes at key points of games have cost us wins.''

The Flames haven't won in Buffalo in their past eight tries, dating back to March 15, 1996 when Theo Fleury, German Titov and Gary Roberts provided the goals, with Rick Tabaracci stopping 32 shots to outduel Dominik Hasek, as Calgary prevailed 3-1.

"Really?'' marvels Regehr. "I did not know that. That's three years before I even got there. Brother, that is a LONG time ago. I just hope we can keep that streak alive.''

She's at best an above average Mod, and she's failed to deliver the "Stanley Cup Parade will be Saturday at Noon" thread. Assquatch has shown a lot of poise and had success in the few thread starts he's had. We should trade chz (potentially packaged with the liger) and bring in a solid youtube clip response poster and a high 2012 draft pick.

Great. Another half-baked "trade for Malkin" proposal.

Except in this case, we're the team trading the superstar for a bunch of scrubs. This is the kind of trade the scrub team's fanbase's version of LGR4GM proposes and gets mocked by their version of nfreeman for not being realistic.

Except in this case, we're the team trading the superstar for a bunch of scrubs. This is the kind of trade the scrub team's fanbase's version of LGR4GM proposes and gets mocked by their version of nfreeman for not being realistic.

All this talk makes me think of a bizarro sabrespace in an alternate universe. Different but the same...

I feel slightly persecuted this morning... other than saying we should still look for a gritty center (and yes i used Jordan Staal as an example) I have kept my far-fetched trade ideas to a minimum.... of course if chz is going with me sweet!

In this other parallel universe am I a top prospect or?

Time to get back into the top 8 and into a playoff spot........never too early to do that

I was laughing at WGR the other day when someone(not sure who it was) already lowered their standards to, "as long as you make the playoffs, who cares where you finish". Damn, the Pegula era optimism has gone down a lot in the first month of the season.

I feel slightly persecuted this morning... other than saying we should still look for a gritty center (and yes i used Jordan Staal as an example) I have kept my far-fetched trade ideas to a minimum.... of course if chz is going with me sweet!

We all have our roles on here. You may never be that #1 poster we've been looking for, but you can defintely be a solid third line poster.

Besides, even if we had the potential for the #1 guy, Lindy would coach it out of us after the first training camp. :thumbsup:

This assumes the accuracy of certain representations...

All this talk makes me think of a bizarro sabrespace in an alternate universe. Different but the same...

Things are the same all over.

If you and chz end up together watching Staal play for the Sabres we will be at the end times.

I was laughing at WGR the other day when someone(not sure who it was) already lowered their standards to, "as long as you make the playoffs, who cares where you finish". Damn, the Pegula era optimism has gone down a lot in the first month of the season.

Playoffs are never a given.

12 pts was my preseason prediction for the first 10 games.

We all have our roles on here. You may never be that #1 poster we've been looking for, but you can defintely be a solid third line poster.Besides, even if we had the potential for the #1 guy, Lindy would coach it out of us after the first training camp. :thumbsup:

I am the Gerbe of the posting world... I will work hard but don't necessarily have the talent to be a top line guy? Sigh, does that mean that Chz is the Crosby of this forum?

This assumes the accuracy of certain representations...Things are the same all over.If you and chz end up together watching Staal play for the Sabres we will be at the end times.

lol bravo! Totally agree. (Just you so you know, I do not think Staal will become a Sabre as I was more referring to his playing style) Also Chz doesn't know me and I dont know her so we will never end up together.

Who is the Ryan Miller of SS?

I am the Gerbe of the posting world... I will work hard but don't necessarily have the talent to be a top line guy? Sigh, does that mean that Chz is the Crosby of this forum?

lol bravo! Totally agree. (Just you so you know, I do not think Staal will become a Sabre as I was more referring to his playing style) Also Chz doesn't know me and I dont know her so we will never end up together.

Who is the Ryan Miller of SS?

Yes you are the Gerbe.

Who does the most WTF waves around here, and doesn't take responsibility for their actions, and is *sarcasm alert* severely overrated?

This assumes the accuracy of certain representations...

Are you referring to me referring to chz as a superstar, or questions over chz's gender? I can back up the first ("not debatable" to use today's buzzphrase), and I don't care about the second.

Hahahha, wow, what an interesting, hilarious discussion to start the Thread. As for the game, I'm feeling Miller gets the nod and we bounce back in a big way. After that terrible start, we played decently with the flyers. I feel like so many of our shots have been getting blocked lately and maybe Lindy should focus on getting better shot lanes. Anyways, we've been flat out aweful in several games and still have a 6-5 record. Let's make it 7-5 in one of those weird 7-5 type of games!

Vanek, Roy (2), Pommers (2), Myers and Ehroff are the goal scorers. Vanek ends up with a goal and 4 assists.

I'm being a good boy, but since you mentioned it.....2 classic quotes from Ted Black yesterday.

1) "Nobody remembers in 20 years if you are the 8 seed and win the Stanley Cup."

2) "Going into Wednesday's game, the franchise had more points in only 13 of their seasons."

Ted....I know you didn't fire Mr. Regier, but that doesn't mean you have to start spewing his Excel spreadsheets in order to justify a position of mediocrity.

I hope Miller plays tonight and plays well. I don't understand how "ALL FANS" are getting grouped into hating on him. According to the Sabres, over 15,000 of those 18,000 people in the arena the other night were in seats held by season ticket holders. This isn't some bloodlust internet jockeys....this is 85% of your revenue stream giving it to him. I think I have a good beat on his head, and the next week or two is crucial for this franchise.

For those wanting Miller to start, gotta wait a game.

Enroth to start tonight.

So if Enroth wins say 3-0 do we have another 10 page thread about why Miller sucks? If Enroth Loses do we get a 10 page thread of why Miller is better? Catch 22/Kobayashi Maru anyway it unfolds.

Also i am completely unsurprised that Enroth is in. It made the most sense for him to start this game at home because Ruff before the last matchup saw Ryan struggle at home. Enroth deserved a home start as well and Ottawa has played better of late so NO there is not a goaltending controversy this was all pre-set by ruff at the begining of the week.

Archived