GDT: Flames at Sabres 11/4/11 7:30PM

Assquatch

The Morning After Musings:

1. Enroth's record is scary good.

2. I can't recall a Sabres game where they were so overwhelmingly better than their opponent for three periods.

3. If I am Miller and Kiprusoff, I'm officially worried.

4. It was obvious to me that Roy was really buzzing around the ice last night. He was always moving with or chasing the puck. He fired off a bunch of quality shots.

5. Brad Boyes has strung together 3 good games.

6. Might have been Ehroff's best game so far.

7. If they don't beat Otttawa tonight, all the momentum out of this game will have been lost.

No Miller and no Kip and still some really good goal-tending seen tonight.

A really good game by Stafford. I am not even including the goal in that statement. There was an energy to his game that he doesn't show as often as he should or could. He has the talent it's the consistency in effort which holds him back.

Leino is playing better. I'll leave it at that.

I hope Lindy gives Enroth the start Saturday. 5 goals in 232:45 minutes of play this season deserves back to back starts. A .958 save percentage on 114 shots is also impressive. It would be a great message to all the young players, play well and you play no matter who is listed above you on the depth start.

yes! more proof you don't need to pay that position $6-$7 million a year.

Do we cause these amazing performances by opposing goalies? I mean there were at least three "robbed him blind" saves by this kid during that game, not like we took 44 shots right at his chest.

It's called the league as a whole is full of good goaltenders, and that fuels the debate about Miller. There are a lot of goalies equal to or better than Miller, it's just you fail to see it or fail to acknowledge it, because you think it's unfathomable that anyone else could possibly be as good or better than your favorite, Miller.

It's not uncommon and for Miller to be outplayed on given nights. Happens all the time. I bet Miller would have lost that game last night. If Miller was in net and the same deflected goal happened, plus say, they score on the Enroth save when he was sitting on his butt in the net, and say another goal happens. Miller would have played ok but let in 3 goals and still got outplayed and lost, whereas Enroth did outplay a guy having a great night. Miller is hardly ever has an edge in goal. Enroth is good and no more excuse for Miller if he wants to keep his job.

It's called the league as a whole is full of good goaltenders, and that fuels the debate about Miller. There are a lot of goalies equal to or better than Miller, it's just you fail to see it or fail to acknowledge it, because you think it's unfathomable that anyone else could possibly be as good or better than your favorite, Miller.

It's not uncommon and for Miller to be outplayed on given nights. Happens all the time. I bet Miller would have lost that game last night. If Miller was in net and the same deflected goal happened, plus say, they score on the Enroth save when he was sitting on his butt in the net, and say another goal happens. Miller would have played ok but let in 3 goals and still got outplayed and lost, whereas Enroth did outplay a guy having a great night. Miller is hardly ever has an edge in goal. Enroth is good and no more excuse for Miller if he wants to keep his job.

Nothing in this post is based on any evidence or examination of fact, but I completely agree with the bolded part.

The Morning After Musings:

1. Enroth's record is scary good.

2. I can't recall a Sabres game where they were so overwhelmingly better than their opponent for three periods.

3. If I am Miller and Kiprusoff, I'm officially worried.

4. It was obvious to me that Roy was really buzzing around the ice last night. He was always moving with or chasing the puck. He fired off a bunch of quality shots.

5. Brad Boyes has strung together 3 good games.

6. Might have been Ehroff's best game so far.

7. If they don't beat Otttawa tonight, all the momentum out of this game will have been lost.

Agree! Although what bothers me is if they can play like this, why so much inconsistency with it? Can they really keep this type of game up through the season and let's say the playoffs?

It won't happen, but I understand the desire for another Enroth start. Think about it this way though: if Enroth is the starter, we want Miller tomorrow don't we?

Just a thought.

I bet Miller plays lights out tomorrow BTW.

It is a simple as fans want the goaltender that is playing the best. Not many were banging the drum for Lalime or the other train wrecks the Sabres had at backup goalie since Biron left.

We all know Ruff is going to start Miller tonight. He doesn't have the stones not to. IMO, it is the wrong decision and done for all the wrong reasons just like putting Leino on the top line and dropping down Adam. I don't know why Ruff is so afraid of young players succeeding. The way he treats the young players sends a horrible message. Another example is Weber sitting again while Leopold remains in the lineup.

Give ice times to the players that deserve it. Only good things can come from it.

to me what should have happened was leino pass to stafford, stafford go in and pass back to wide open leino, empty net goal. but stafford isn't in the groove yet.

No way. Can you imagine the cries of "way too fancy" if Leino then misses? Too Harlem Globetrotters. They had the right idea, Stafford just went too high unfortunately.

No way. Can you imagine the cries of "way too fancy" if Leino then misses? Too Harlem Globetrotters. They had the right idea, Stafford just went too high unfortunately.

Couldn't disagree more.

Stafford could clearly see Karlson moving laterally toward his side.

Making the pass back to Leino was absolutely a no brainer, for any player.

He made the wrong decision, and I'm sure he is well aware of it. A good learning lesson for him actually.....

Is it me, or was the Vanedamville line the least effective last night? What nice about that is, that was our first win with none of them on the scoresheet.

You're not alone. I didn't really notice them at all last night. All the more impressive that we were able to win and play generally well with that line not doing much.

Couldn't disagree more.

Stafford could clearly see Karlson moving laterally toward his side.

Making the pass back to Leino was absolutely a no brainer, for any player.

He made the wrong decision, and I'm sure he is well aware of it. A good learning lesson for him actually.....

I don't agree at all. Stafford, a sniper, was on the doorstep with the entire top half of the net to shoot at. He just missed it (maybe because the puck was rolling, as he said, or maybe because he just missed it). They were in too close for him to reverse it back to Leino and leave Leino with a better shot than the one Stafford would've passed up.

Is it me, or was the Vanedamville line the least effective last night? What nice about that is, that was our first win with none of them on the scoresheet.

You're not alone. I didn't really notice them at all last night. All the more impressive that we were able to win and play generally well with that line not doing much.

I thought they were pretty good and that all 3 of them had a number of chances. I remember in particular being impressed with Adam -- not relative to Vanek and Pommer, but just in the sense that he is doing pretty well in that role for a rookie.

It is a simple as fans want the goaltender that is playing the best. Not many were banging the drum for Lalime or the other train wrecks the Sabres had at backup goalie since Biron left.

We all know Ruff is going to start Miller tonight. He doesn't have the stones not to. IMO, it is the wrong decision and done for all the wrong reasons just like putting Leino on the top line and dropping down Adam. I don't know why Ruff is so afraid of young players succeeding. The way he treats the young players sends a horrible message. Another example is Weber sitting again while Leopold remains in the lineup.

Give ice times to the players that deserve it. Only good things can come from it.

Maybe it's got nothing to do with "stones" and Lindy thinks starting Miller tonight is the step that is most likely to lead to the best outcome for the team?

As for Leopold, I thought he played pretty well last night.

This is complete and utter conjecture on a level that requires a bolded, highlighted, extra large "IMHO". If Karlsson is off 2" on 3-5 shots the score becomes 5-1, if Pommers shoots .5 seconds earlier there is a goal. If Calgary hits a couple less posts it changes the score. What if's are worthless and you are lying to prove a point. YOU HAVE NO IDEA NOR WILL YOU EVER, HOW THAT GAME WOULD HAVE TURNED OUT WITH MILLER IN NET. I especially like how you claim that the guy who made 29 saves outplayed the guy who made 42 saves... Sorry but Karlsson was the best goaltender. Enroth had very little traffic in front of him. Very few close in shots. Almost no sustained pressure. I get that you really like him and hate Miller but you cant just spout a bunch of BS and expect most of the people around here to agree with it. The only thing you say that I could remotely say is accurate is that Miller gets no more excuses, if he does suck play Enroth but until Enroth is able to consistently start and play at a high level, he will be Marty Biron 2.0... great backup but unproven starter.

I still don't get why Enroth can't just be the super bad ass backup.

Why does he have to be thrust into the freakin' starting lineup?

Seems like this happens in each sport that has a "backup" situation. At this stage in nearly every sport, depth is critical. We should feel blessed that we have two damn good goalies, and we should really just leave it at that.

Seems like this happens in each sport that has a "backup" situation. At this stage in nearly every sport, depth is critical. We should feel blessed that we have two damn good goalies, and we should really just leave it at that.

Exactly. When Boston discovered that they had a dominant backup in Rask, did they respond by trading Tim Thomas? No, they rode both goaltenders to the ######in Stanley Cup! Having two good players at one position doesn't have to be a source of "controversy". Play 'em both.

Your post is right on for the most part but imo I would prefer that the backup be good enough to always pressure the 'starter' to look over his shoulder and continually be on his toes. I would like there to be a 'thin red line' so to speak separating the two that makes them both excel through a healthy competition. I think we may be close to that now.

Your post is right on for the most part but imo I would prefer that the backup be good enough to always pressure the 'starter' to look over his shoulder and continually be on his toes. I would like there to be a 'thin red line' so to speak separating the two that makes them both excel through a healthy competition. I think we may be close to that now.

Definitely.

Exactly. When Boston discovered that they had a dominant backup in Rask, did they respond by trading Tim Thomas? No, they rode both goaltenders to the ######in Stanley Cup! Having two good players at one position doesn't have to be a source of "controversy". Play 'em both.

1) Because Thomas was performing like a Vezina winning goaltender..... not having outside top 10 numbers in GAA and save %.

2) Because Thomas is 68 years old and Rask will get his chance in the near future.

3) Because most teams will play the hot goaltender no matter who is the regular starter.

Yes, Miller is the starter and will be getting the amount of starts a starting goaltender usually gets. But does there really need to be a "schedule"? Wins are wins, play the guy who is getting them. If Miller were the backup and Enroth were the starter and Miller was on fire, I'd say play Miller too.

This entire forum is on its A-game today. Glad to see everyone loose for tonight's big game and our mid-week posting struggles are behind us.

I think Sabrespace wins this game tonight.

Yesterday was fun.

So when Enroth wins tonight, and Miller loses tomorrow... will all hell break lose around here? I mean will the Miller is crap threads multiply faster than tribbles on a holodeck? (its a star trek theme day, sorry) I'm a doctor dammit not a oracle!

Apologies not needed.

Oh look,

Enroth plays and it's a W on the board at First Niagara Center......

How surprising

:rolleyes:

I'm rolling my eyes harder than ever at this post.

Quoted for the TRUTH.

Archived