OT - Username Inspirations

LastPommerFan

With all the new members on the forum, and the current layover before the third game, I thought it might be interesting and informative to see where everyone drew their inspiration for their screen names. Some may be more obvious, like Chris_in_UT, while some seem shrouded in mystery, like LGR4GM.

If your willing, tell us where you found your Sabrespace Username Muse.

My username came from reading the boards for a while before I started posting. It seemed that there was very little love at the time for my favorite Sabre. He has a Goliath contract and was recovering from his concussion as the Sabres struggled through the first half of last season, so I understand where the angst was coming from. But I felt like I was the last resident of Pominville.

As for why I like Pommer so much: In 2005 I was able to attend only one home game, I had just moved down to Cincinnati. The game I went to was a 10-1 thrashing of the Kings in which a recent call-up from the Amerks scored his first NHL hat-trick. His performance in that year's playoffs (Another hat-trick against Philly and the OT Shorty against the Sens) sealed it for me. I bought a #29 Slug and have been a fan of one of the most consistent Sabres forwards since then.

One of my favourite movies is Tombstone and my Username is also my Madden username from way back in the first days of PS2 online

And I thought it was a tribute to certain former Blue Jay and current Phillies pitcher ... who knew!!

Edit: That's Doc Halladay, of course ... pretty close.

Mine should be obvious ...

With all the new members on the forum, and the current layover before the third game, I thought it might be interesting and informative to see where everyone drew their inspiration for their screen names. Some may be more obvious, like Chris_in_UT, while some seem shrouded in mystery, like LGR4GM.

Since you mentioned me specifically I will try to shed some light on the current situation. My name was KTN4GM because it was my initials and then I have ideas about the team like a gm would, so I went with that. Over time of being on here and progressing from saying whatever I wanted, to trying to be a little more friendly and subdued (i try not to get into to much trouble) someone said "awww look at that our little liger has grown up" and so it became a running joke. I thought it was funny, because I am young and have crazy sabres ideas, so I changed my name to LGR (meaning liger) and kept the 4 GM part and that was the evolution. (LRG has also been interpreted as Lager which is equally as funny and ok)

Mine's pretty simple: real-life nickname in a few circles. When I started work many years ago, there was another Matt in the office who was the default Matt. So, first name, first syllable of my last name. My actual last name is three syllables, so too long to say regularly. Being a geek, I'll also use Pi (the greek letter) or 314 for various things as well.

Back in 1998 (or so), Two Bills Drive was part of the Rochester D&C. (SDS took it over later.) When I joined I wanted to pick a name that someone my age (early 50s) who grew up in WNY would recognize.

Promo The Robot was the sidekick of Dave Thomas on a daily morning cartoon show on WKBW called Rocketship 7. Any kid getting ready for school in the 60s had Rocketship 7 on the TV. In between Bugs Bunny cartoons, Dave, Promo and Mr. Beeper the alien would goof around.

Promo was played by Johnny Banaczak whose other job was the Polka band "the Johnny & Jimmy Duo" who was the house band for the show on after Rocketship 7 "Dialing for Dollars." The original Promo was just a plywood box with various knobs, grills and auto tail light lenses making up his face.

My Two Bills Drive account features the original Promo as my avatar. Here I play around with various images.

PTR

Mine is a machination of a couple of things, one of my old time favorte hockey players, humor and things Canadian.

Note my original image was of the cartoon fame, Dudly do Right the Canadian mounty.

Reminds me of the time when I was living in "The Great Satan" (as we call it here in Halifax) Toronto.

Used to listen to GR sports talk with "Arty Baby Boo-Boo" ... when Dudley was GM ... he used to have a little sound bite of the real "Dudly Do Right" saying "Yes Inspector" ... impling that Dudley was a yes man.

That is the only thing I miss about Toronto.

"I did my sentence, but committed no crime" ... Freddie Mercury.

Mine was a ten year sentence, with no time off for good behavior ... went East over 13 years ago and have never been back. The only reason I would go back is to go to some TFC matches at BMO Field ... nothing like it.

we kick this around from time to time -- but it's a subject worth re-visiting, and i'm game for it.

for those who were fortunate enough to attend games at the old barn, my screen name is self-explanatory -- it was that specific aroma that inhabited the entire building, but especially those cement rampways that you took from the street level to the upper golds, reds, and blues (you needed stairs to access the oranges, of course).

for those too young or who otherwise never saw a game at the aud, the place had a distinctive smell to it that was a product of boiled hot dogs, (spilled) beer, cigarette smoke (both current smoke and the build-up of tar and nicotine in the building itself), popcorn oil, peanuts, and, this is key, a crappy ventilation system.

with the way modern buildings are built, you don't get quite the same experience any more.

you could think about changing your screen handle to onaboat ... or flippy-floppies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM&ob=av3n

we kick this around from time to time -- but it's a subject worth re-visiting, and i'm game for it.

for those who were fortunate enough to attend games at the old barn, my screen name is self-explanatory -- it was that specific aroma that inhabited the entire building, but especially those cement rampways that you took from the street level to the upper golds, reds, and blues (you needed stairs to access the oranges, of course).

for those too young or who otherwise never saw a game at the aud, the place had a distinctive smell to it that was a product of boiled hot dogs, (spilled) beer, cigarette smoke (both current smoke and the build-up of tar and nicotine in the building itself), popcorn oil, peanuts, and, this is key, a crappy ventilation system.

with the way modern buildings are built, you don't get quite the same experience any more.

you could think about changing your screen handle to onaboat ... or flippy-floppies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM&ob=av3n

I'm old enough and went to many Sabres games in the Aud.

I would think the stink is still there even though it's a parking lot, or something, now.

I come back from lurking for the new season only to stumble on this little gem...

My username came from an unfortunate incident in my past with a priest and the rest of the sunday school class and... well you get the point. :blush:

In all seriousness, I was really excited to pick up Boyes last year at the deadline since I thought he would finally be a useful pickup instead of a rental - a sign of change if you will. With the Sabres upbeat system I thought it would be a return to his 50 goal season (okay maybe ~30 goals). That has yet to be realized but maybe with the move back to wing this could be a good year.

My screen name has been a nick-name of mine since my college days. My beer of choice back then was Natty Ice. (It was very cheep, and worked very well for beer pong, flip cup, and other drinking games.) Since my first name is Matt, it kind of became my staple. As I have gotten older, my taste in beer has matured (somewhat), however, I have not, and my nick-name remains the same.

PS Some A-hole in Atlanta has blatently stolen my nick-name, and I am currently seeking monitary residules.

Mine dates back to the days when AIM and "1337 speak" was popular among nerds and highschool kids. I think I started using it around 2002-03. I used to be a massive Star Wars nerd so I thought darksabre was a clever play on lightsabre. I threw the 4 in there at one point because I thought it was "cool" and just never took it out. I've considered trying to phase it out, but I've used it for so long that I can't imagine how I would feel if I stumbled across someone else using it on the interwebs. :blush: Plus it just seemed appropriate for this forum. Google it. You'll learn a lot about me. :ph34r:

If I tell you I have to kill you. No seriously, years ago I worked the early shift in a bakery on the bread machine mixing the dough for all the bread and bun runs and after getting efficient at the job I became somewhat of a machine myself so I was dubbed Bunomatic by some of the other staff. I resurrected that tag for this forum simply because I couldn't come up with anything when I signed on.

Archived