All About Natural Disasters

Atlantic City, on your own. 911 shut down and no first responders out.

During Hurricane Juan Halifax had there command centre (police, fire, army ...) set up on the top floor of an office tower downtown.

That is until they abandoned it just 10 minutes after it hit ... every person for themselves!!

Common sense says those tweets aren't real.

maybe common sense in 1986.......you should see the stuff out there on a regular day

During Hurricane Juan Halifax had there command centre (police, fire, army ...) set up on the top floor of an office tower downtown.

That is until they abandoned it just 10 minutes after it hit ... every person for themselves!!

That's why your grandma said to prepare!

Just a note from having gone through a few of these things....if you rely on paying any bills through mail still or are expecting something, it may take a week to catch up on stuff. You have governments, airports and offices shut probably up until Thursday in some cases. You could have a bill due next Monday, put it in the mail today, doesn't fly out to hub until Wednesday, etc. etc. Not to mention Deleware is getting crushed and many corporate stuff goes there.

Just keep an eye out for late charges and stuff....happened to me.

Also, this is supposed to stall over land and the mix of tropics and cold will flare up more precip. The back end doesn't have much moisture now, but it will flare up. (Yes, I know)

As mentioned upthread, everyone has their leaves raked out to curbside. The apron of my driveway was completely submerged and the water was nearly to the sidewalk. And Sandy ain't even hrere yet. The kid and I just got back in the house. We went out with rakes and shovels and cleared a 2 foot trough away from the curb to channel the water. We went for a couple houses until a parked car stopped our progress.

Now someone else's driveway is getting submerged. :ph34r:

Things have ramped up significantly in the past hour. The steady wind is now about 10-15 mph faster than before and the gusts are easily 20 mph higher. Every gust is terrifying. On generator. The flickering green/red/purple light of blown transformers can be seen from every window. And to add insult to injury, my kid had a seizure during dinner,.. because I don't have enough to deal with. Gonna be a long night.

Stunned the power is still on. Wind is crazy... Eye is now projected to pass right by us in MD. Next several hours are going to be the real deal for us... Have widespread power outages in my area.

Love the photo of Statue of Liberty. That's a keeper... Could be used by loser on 8 Nov...

I'm sure you guys aren't getting it up there, but Chris Christie, NJ governor is awesome. I know nothing about his politics, but all day when he's had a press conference he's been ornery. A little while ago he basically called the governor of Atlantic City a tool. Paraphrasing: "For some reason, Mayor Lankford decided to tell people to stay in shelters in the city, after I ordered them out. One of those shelters is a block from the bay. We cannot rescue anyone until 7AM."

Things have ramped up significantly in the past hour. The steady wind is now about 10-15 mph faster than before and the gusts are easily 20 mph higher. Every gust is terrifying. On generator. The flickering green/red/purple light of blown transformers can be seen from every window. And to add insult to injury, my kid had a seizure during dinner,.. because I don't have enough to deal with. Gonna be a long night.

You'll make it. We know you will. God's speed.

I'm sure you guys aren't getting it up there, but Chris Christie, NJ governor is awesome. I know nothing about his politics, but all day when he's had a press conference he's been ornery. A little while ago he basically called the governor of Atlantic City a tool. Paraphrasing: "For some reason, Mayor Lankford decided to tell people to stay in shelters in the city, after I ordered them out. One of those shelters is a block from the bay. We cannot rescue anyone until 7AM."

I liked one of the responses on twitter.

"You mad Bro?"

Stunned the power is still on. Wind is crazy... Eye is now projected to pass right by us in MD. Next several hours are going to be the real deal for us... Have widespread power outages in my area.

Love the photo of Statue of Liberty. That's a keeper... Could be used by loser on 8 Nov...

That's the Statue of Liberty? Silly me, I thought it was Drane :angel: :P

Hang tough, mang.

Hang tough, mang.

Thanks. It's a little embarassing, though, how we "hang tough". I back feed the house (not the legit way) and we haven't lost cable, so we've got the tv goin', two laptops surfing away, and the heat is even on. The kid thing was definitely a curveball, but she's asleep now so this is actually pretty sweet. Other than the "worrying about a tree coming through the roof" thing.

The one good thing about it getting worse is that, finally, my wife isn't making fun of me for wearing my snowboarding helmet every time I go outside. I've always worn it (If I'm responsible for all of us, I'll be damned if I'm going to get taken out by a stupid tree branch), and she's always made fun of me for it. The last time I went to check the genny, there was a huge gust that really scared her (scared me too), so now she doesn't laugh anymore. Ah, small victories.

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks. It's a little embarassing, though, how we "hang tough". I back feed the house (not the legit way) and we haven't lost cable, so we've got the tv goin', two laptops surfing away, and the heat is even on. The kid thing was definitely a curveball, but she's asleep now so this is actually pretty sweet. Other than the "worrying about a tree coming through the roof" thing.

The one good thing about it getting worse is that, finally, my wife isn't making fun of me for wearing my snowboarding helmet every time I go outside. I've always worn it (If I'm responsible for all of us, I'll be damned if I'm going to get taken out by a stupid tree branch), and she's always made fun of me for it. The last time I went to check the genny, there was a huge gust that really scared her (scared me too), so now she doesn't laugh anymore. Ah, small victories.

Stay safe everyone.

It's the right thing to do but I laughed when I read this.

We just had our first gust that made me take notice. Right now it is no big deal here, but the wind is picking up a bit.

Edited by weave

Just a note from having gone through a few of these things....if you rely on paying any bills through mail still or are expecting something, it may take a week to catch up on stuff. You have governments, airports and offices shut probably up until Thursday in some cases. You could have a bill due next Monday, put it in the mail today, doesn't fly out to hub until Wednesday, etc. etc. Not to mention Deleware is getting crushed and many corporate stuff goes there.

Just keep an eye out for late charges and stuff....happened to me.

Also, this is supposed to stall over land and the mix of tropics and cold will flare up more precip. The back end doesn't have much moisture now, but it will flare up. (Yes, I know)

Ghost is petering out faster than Sandy.

THE MAIL IS GOING TO BE SLOW.

Dude, you're running out of material.

Need a ghost writer?