Grags Signed.

That Aud Smell

Actually....go to SabresTV and see the interview with TJ Brennan.

It sounds like that switch to forward was developmental design....after playing forward, he now knows what kind of outlet passes he needs to deliver.

^this...is why the sabres have had a seemingly endless stream of well developed prospects at D and wing. now if we can only figure out how to develop a center...

Actually....go to SabresTV and see the interview with TJ Brennan.

It sounds like that switch to forward was developmental design....after playing forward, he now knows what kind of outlet passes he needs to deliver.

Intelligent design, eh? I need that debate like I need a hole in the head or another "trade for stamkos/Malkin/Staal" thread.

While it's true that predicting MAG to be a superstar based off 16 games is a little pre-mature, he does have more impressive credentials than Sekera. His AHL production has been through the roof and he has played on Canada's WJC18 and WJC teams. If I had to choose one of them, I would take MAG. But that's not to say Sekera won't be a very good offensive defenseman...

Really?

One was a 3rd round pick selected 71st overall, the other was a 3rd round pick selected 87th overall.

One played in the Olympics, the other didn't. And the one that played for his country in the Olympics was widely regarded as having played better than a really tall countryman of his that recently captained a SC champion.

One has played multiple times for his country at the World Championships, the other hasn't.

According to the Sabres' website, one has played twice in the WJC's and the other played for the US in the WJ-18's but hasn't played in the WJC's. No mention there about either playing for Canada in the WJC's. (Don't know whether you are correct or the Sabres webstaff are correct.)

One has been on the OHL all rookie team and an OHL all star. The Sabres don't mention whether the other won awards at the OHL level.

One didn't spend significant time in the AHL, the other was the AHL's outstanding defenseman.

Discounting the WJC stuff, because I'm too tired to bother w/ finding additional sources, I think 1 of these guys has more impressive credentials. I'd suggest that the 1st 1's credentials are more impressive than the 2nd's. The 1st one was Sekera in case you were curious.

I hate the offseason ... more than any other time of year, there are only two kinds of players ... those who SUCK and those who COULD be GREAT but just need a chance.

If I was dropped from the sky and started reading this board today I would be led to believe that MAG was the next Paul Coffey, Tyler Ennis the next Marcel Dionne and Jhonas Enroth the next Martin Brodeur ...

I wish it was October.

Really?

One was a 3rd round pick selected 71st overall, the other was a 3rd round pick selected 87th overall.

One played in the Olympics, the other didn't. And the one that played for his country in the Olympics was widely regarded as having played better than a really tall countryman of his that recently captained a SC champion.

One has played multiple times for his country at the World Championships, the other hasn't.

According to the Sabres' website, one has played twice in the WJC's and the other played for the US in the WJ-18's but hasn't played in the WJC's. No mention there about either playing for Canada in the WJC's. (Don't know whether you are correct or the Sabres webstaff are correct.)

One has been on the OHL all rookie team and an OHL all star. The Sabres don't mention whether the other won awards at the OHL level.

One didn't spend significant time in the AHL, the other was the AHL's outstanding defenseman.

Discounting the WJC stuff, because I'm too tired to bother w/ finding additional sources, I think 1 of these guys has more impressive credentials. I'd suggest that the 1st 1's credentials are more impressive than the 2nd's. The 1st one was Sekera in case you were curious.

Fair points, but let's not pretend that playing for Slovakia internationally is the same as playing for team Canada. Obviously I don't have exact numbers but there's probably a pool of about 40-50 high-level-talent players (that might be being generous, idk) competing to make team Slovakia as opposed to potentially hundreds of high-level-talent players trying to get invited to team Canada. Canada has a stockpool of top level talent at every position at their disposal, it would be hard for a young defenseman who hadn't been given a chance in the NHL yet to crack Canada's olympic roster. If Sekera was Canadian, I highly doubt he would have made the roster either.

My fault on the WJC confusion -- I had it mixed up with the WC's this year, which I didn't really follow due to being heartbroken from Sabres elimination. So perhaps Sekera has the better junior level credentials, though MAG's production in the QJMHL was slightly better than Reggie's OHL production in their respective best seasons.

Regardless, my point still remains the same -- MAG is more than deserving of a spot in the NHL after four strong seasons in the AHL and an impressive extended call up this past season/post-season. If I had to pick one, I would take MAG. But again, I'm not saying Sekera won't be a solid offensive defenseman, just that after watching him on and off for 3 or 4 years, this season was the first time I saw flashes that made me really say "wow, this guy is better than I thought." Gragnani, on the other hand, seemed to fit in seamlessly and played like a seasoned vet, even through the post-season. Of course, I can't recall every detail and moment of last season anymore, but I don't remember any costly mistakes or "WTF" moments made by Gragnani in his time in Buffalo, which is pretty impressive as a rookie defenseman in this league. (To be fair, I can't recall any WTF moments from Sekera off the top of my head either, but he's spent his fair share of time out of the lineup in previous years -- struggles which, at FIRST glance, MAG has yet to encounter).

I'm not a scout or a player developer and my favorite players list includes players like afinogenov and connolly, but I just see more potential and upside in Gragnani right now. Just my opinion.

Call me wishy-washy, but I am taking a wait-and-see approach to MAG and Sekera ...

After 2008-09, Butler looked like a sure-fire bet to be rock-solid going forward and he took a big step back ... and he played twice as many games at a high level that season compared to MAG had last year. The playoffs were encouraging, but he still has something to prove. Would we be STUNNED if he regressed like Butler?

Sekera, I THINK, was hampered by playing hurt late last season, making it easy to forget he was pretty darn good most of the season. But he struggled enough at one point to be scratched and I can't help but get a little Kalnin-like vibe off him sometimes, like the passion is just not there. We will see given the competition for ice time.

Fair points, but let's not pretend that playing for Slovakia internationally is the same as playing for team Canada. Obviously I don't have exact numbers but there's probably a pool of about 40-50 high-level-talent players (that might be being generous, idk) competing to make team Slovakia as opposed to potentially hundreds of high-level-talent players trying to get invited to team Canada. Canada has a stockpool of top level talent at every position at their disposal, it would be hard for a young defenseman who hadn't been given a chance in the NHL yet to crack Canada's olympic roster. If Sekera was Canadian, I highly doubt he would have made the roster either.

My fault on the WJC confusion -- I had it mixed up with the WC's this year, which I didn't really follow due to being heartbroken from Sabres elimination. So perhaps Sekera has the better junior level credentials, though MAG's production in the QJMHL was slightly better than Reggie's OHL production in their respective best seasons.

Regardless, my point still remains the same -- MAG is more than deserving of a spot in the NHL after four strong seasons in the AHL and an impressive extended call up this past season/post-season. If I had to pick one, I would take MAG. But again, I'm not saying Sekera won't be a solid offensive defenseman, just that after watching him on and off for 3 or 4 years, this season was the first time I saw flashes that made me really say "wow, this guy is better than I thought." Gragnani, on the other hand, seemed to fit in seamlessly and played like a seasoned vet, even through the post-season. Of course, I can't recall every detail and moment of last season anymore, but I don't remember any costly mistakes or "WTF" moments made by Gragnani in his time in Buffalo, which is pretty impressive as a rookie defenseman in this league. (To be fair, I can't recall any WTF moments from Sekera off the top of my head either, but he's spent his fair share of time out of the lineup in previous years -- struggles which, at FIRST glance, MAG has yet to encounter).

I'm not a scout or a player developer and my favorite players list includes players like afinogenov and connolly, but I just see more potential and upside in Gragnani right now. Just my opinion.

I have no problem whatsoever w/ your opinion that MAG would be a better player now for the Sabres than Sekera. Don't know that I agree w/ it, but I don't take issue w/ it. For short term, I'd probably expect Sekera to be better than MAG, but definitely wouldn't want to have to choose which will be better long term. I expect part of MAG playing so well in the playoffs last year was not having the extremely rattling 1st game and then gaining confidence from that game and how he played against AHLers this year and another part of it was the Phlyers not having a real scouting report on him. I hope he builds off what he did last year, but wouldn't be surprised to see him step back some.

You are quite likely correct that Reggie wouldn't have made Team Canada nor Team USA for the Olympics. But Slovakia does produce some pretty darn good players and making that squad is still impressive. And outplaying Chara during the Olympics is nothing to sneeze at either.

The only other item that I'd point out when comparing the 2 players is that the Q is known for producing players w/ really big point totals as it is far more open than either the OHL or the WHL.

You are quite likely correct that Reggie wouldn't have made Team Canada nor Team USA for the Olympics. But Slovakia does produce some pretty darn good players and making that squad is still impressive. And outplaying Chara during the Olympics is nothing to sneeze at either.

Slovakia really hasn't produced too many defensemen though. They've usually leaned more towards high scoring forwards like Bondra, Hossa, Palffy and Gaborik. Sekera only had to beat out 3 NHL defensemen on that roster to earn the top pairing, Milan Jurcina, Andrej Meszaros, and Lubomir Visnovsky.

Outplaying Chara was definitely an accomplishment though. I want to make a comment about Olympic ice being a place for Sekera to thrive, but that obviously wasn't the case in Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't anyone else worried that our top unsigned player is still unsigned?!!! Same old status quo! They're low-balling him just to save a few $'s. Bet he signs in Russia!

:nana:

when we get within a week of losing him I will get worried.

How many days til this deal gets done? Anyone care to place the over/under?

I have no guess as to when it gets done, but would expect it to be w/in 3-7 days of there being a fevered concern over the deal NOT getting done. That seems to be about par for the course.

I hate the offseason ... more than any other time of year, there are only two kinds of players ... those who SUCK and those who COULD be GREAT but just need a chance.

If I was dropped from the sky and started reading this board today I would be led to believe that MAG was the next Paul Coffey, Tyler Ennis the next Marcel Dionne and Jhonas Enroth the next Martin Brodeur ...

I wish it was October.

If for no other reason than it being 100 friggin degrees outside. I hate summer.

If all we have left to worry about this offseason is MAG getting signed than woooo. Our defense is one of the best in the league on paper. We added a better forward in leino (over TC). Also Enroth is so far better than Lalime, and All of our young guns will be entering the season with 1 more year of NHL experience plus Roy is back... This should be a season to remember.

edit: lol still winning x2.

So i had A.D.D. and decided to look at hockey lies and crap and they produced this gem:

Speaking of fantasy hockey:

"Gimme a minute to do guzzintas... carry the one.... ok. With 23 players signed, your Sabres are presently $3,595,357 over the NHL cap. Doesn't matter that they subtract to get down to the cap right now. Darcy Regier has until October to do so. I expect Regier to get MA Gragnani locked up by ThisWednesday. The Grags contract should equal an annual cap hit of $1.5-$1.8 million. He'll be player #24 under contract for Buffalo. By midweek, the team will be $3.7 million over the salary cap."

I didn't realize that 14 games does a 1million dollar raise make. According to capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=401 MAG made 500k last season when he was up in the NHL (two-way contract) so unless this moron can't do math which we know he cant (he went from 3.59 over the cap to 3.7 with the MAG contract, even though the league minimum would put us at 4mil +) then hes suggesting MAG is worth more than Weber which is in fact laughable....

Why do i bring this up then? Well first I want a certain poster to continue his crusade against my rating because it's amusing and Second I was thinking MAG was worth about 650k x 2years if capgeek is correct. Is that lowballing a guy who showed a lot in the playoffs but has never really been a stable force on our blueline yet?

So i had A.D.D. and decided to look at hockey lies and crap and they produced this gem:

Speaking of fantasy hockey: "Gimme a minute to do guzzintas... carry the one.... ok. With 23 players signed, your Sabres are presently $3,595,357 over the NHL cap. Doesn't matter that they subtract to get down to the cap right now. Darcy Regier has until October to do so.

I expect Regier to get MA Gragnani locked up by ThisWednesday. The Grags contract should equal an annual cap hit of $1.5-$1.8 million. He'll be player #24 under contract for Buffalo.

By midweek, the team will be $3.7 million over the salary cap."

I didn't realize that 14 games does a 1million dollar raise make. According to capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=401 MAG made 500k last season when he was up in the NHL (two-way contract) so unless this moron can't do math which we know he cant (he went from 3.59 over the cap to 3.7 with the MAG contract, even though the league minimum would put us at 4mil +) then hes suggesting MAG is worth more than Weber which is in fact laughable....

Why do i bring this up then? Well first I want a certain poster to continue his crusade against my rating because it's amusing and Second I was thinking MAG was worth about 650k x 2years if capgeek is correct. Is that lowballing a guy who showed a lot in the playoffs but has never really been a stable force on our blueline yet?

I think the fact that his less proven that Enroth, but not by a massive amount gives us a good indication.

I'd say that $1.5-1.8M is high, while $650k is low. I expect something more like what Sekera got two years ago: $750k the first year, $1.25M the second year for an average (cap hit) of $1M. I certainly wouldn't expect any higher than that.

I'd say that $1.5-1.8M is high, while $650k is low. I expect something more like what Sekera got two years ago: $750k the first year, $1.25M the second year for an average (cap hit) of $1M. I certainly wouldn't expect any higher than that.

We're talking about a guy who turned down his right for arbitration because he knew he couldn't get a favorable deal there. All he wants is a one-way deal. He'll get that and a slight raise.

We're talking about a guy who turned down his right for arbitration because he knew he couldn't get a favorable deal there. All he wants is a one-way deal. He'll get that and a slight raise.

so you agree with me? 650ish?

Archived