Grags Signed.

That Aud Smell

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke to a Sabres player and he said Grags will sign if he has not already done it. He refused an absurd one way/two years deal like Enroth and if that player is correct he will end up signing the QO and hope : 1) that he has a good year and can go to arbitration next year or 2) they don't play him for the 61 games he has left to go to 80 and becomes a UFA. If he does not play 80 games before he is 25 he will become a UFA next year and then go where he is welcomed and can get some recognition. After all he was defenseman of the year and broke some AHL and NHL rookie records for the franchise he played for.

We will see if that is right but my source is very reliable...

Taken from another board..

I don't like that this is only for one year. Worries me that he could be trade bait due to the stacked, deep defense corps. Then again, injuries are inevitable, and 7th D-men get plenty of games these days. Curious if it's 1-way or 2-way. The part that makes me worried is that it's not like a trial contract, the kid put the jury to rest by stepping from the AHL right into NHL Playoffs with ease.

***cough*** trade bait ***cough***

does a 1 year deal make gragnani more attractive to other GMs? i honestly don't know.

on the one hand, it seems that if you were acquiring a promising young prospect, you'd want him locked up for a few years at a reasonable price.

then again, this deal appears set up to have gragnani audition as an nhl regular this year -- to show that his late season push last year was no fluke. another team might be happy to take on that audition and see what comes of it.

If he does not play 80 games before he is 25 he will become a UFA next year and then go where he is welcomed and can get some recognition. After all he was defenseman of the year and broke some AHL and NHL rookie records for the franchise he played for.

i know this isn't your content, buzz - but stuff like that just bugs me. "welcomed" and "get some recognition" - as though any team is going to suppress a player's development for some irrational reason. if the kid plays the way he did late last year and in the playoffs, they will not be able to keep him out of the lineup.

which leads me to this point ...

the kid put the jury to rest by stepping from the AHL right into NHL Playoffs with ease.

not so sure about that. he showed great promise, but he didn't settle the matter. this year should do that.

i know this isn't your content, buzz - but stuff like that just bugs me. "welcomed" and "get some recognition" - as though any team is going to suppress a player's development for some irrational reason. if the kid plays the way he did late last year and in the playoffs, they will not be able to keep him out of the lineup.

which leads me to this point ...

not so sure about that. he showed great promise, but he didn't settle the matter. this year should do that.

Couldn't agree more ... the kid had a nice two weeks, Vanek put in a few of his rebounds on the PP, and all of a sudden he needs 'recognition?' Nathan Paetsch had a couple stretches where it looked like he was a real PP QB too. Let him prove it for more than 7 games.

He got hurt before last season He may have made the team last year if it wasn't for that.

They were already carrying 8 all year. The only other real option would have been if he beat out Mike Weber, which I don't think was happening. They had too many of those puck movers already and Weber brought a bit more in terms of variety. More likely, if he was healthy someone probably would have been traded, whether it was him or one of the Butler/Sekera duo.

He played better than Monty did the entire season in those few games he was called up. It's not easy stepping into NHL playoff caliber hockey by any means and he not only had his fundamentals down, but used his personal skill set to grab a point-per-game average in the Philly series. After watching players get called up to Buffalo in the playoffs for years now, I'm pretty convinced this kid gets it and I have no doubt he's worthy a roster spot.

in those few games he was called up.

you're sorta making my point for me there. ;)

It's not easy stepping into NHL playoff caliber hockey by any means

no argument there. know what's more difficult, IMO? sustaining a competent (or better than competent) level of play over the course of a season.

I'm pretty convinced this kid gets it and I have no doubt he's worthy a roster spot.

from your keyboard to god's ears.

Let's not forget this was a roster with Montador who couldn't even skate, and Morrisonn who did nothing all season. Grags was team leader in points after a call-up into a battle of a playoff series, do you really think he wasn't worth a roster spot last year considering how spotty the aforementioned were?

Let's not forget this was a roster with Montador who couldn't even skate, and Morrisonn who did nothing all season. Grags was team leader in points after a call-up into a battle of a playoff series, do you really think he wasn't worth a roster spot last year considering how spotty the aforementioned were?

Well apparently Ruff and Regier didn't think he was worth a spot.

There's more to being a consistent, reliable NHL dman than racking up PP assists because vanek is banging away in front. Don't get me wrong, he was way better all-around than he ever had been but let's not keep harping on the 'leading scorer' thing like he was Paul Coffey or something.

Given the dman depth in the organization there's no reason to overreact to a handful of games.

They won't get much for him. He's at a point where he needs to prove himself consistently at the NHL and actually earn that next contract. The one year is pretty much the prefect scenario for both sides.

Correct, but he might be a sweetener in a bigger deal.

Archived