Grags Signed.

That Aud Smell

Accept their qualifying offer, come to an agreement on an extension or hold out

thanks.

i guess i was left wondering whether there's some other deadline date by which a team can lose rights to its RFA's. but i guess that "R" is pretty firm when you don't yet have arb rights - you either agree with your current employer, or sit out.

If someone gives them an offer sheet, we're in big trouble. If someone who is near the floor in cap space (Florida?) offers Enroth a 5 mil contract and Gragnani one for 3 mil, what can we do? They need to spend money and we need to conserve it.

It's hard for me to place them in a similar category as they took suck different routes to the NHL.

Your Freudian slip is showing.

Watching MAG on the power play at the end of the season last year was a breath of fresh air. That's all I got.

I like this kid better than Sekera. Hope he makes the top 7 this season.

I like it when someone gets the call up, plays well, gets crowned NHL worthy, then sucks... in other words, let him develop, we're not in a situation where we need to rush any of our kids.

His potential is exciting though, I agree.

Maybe they have an agreement in principle and the reason it isn't signed yet is because they are waiting for the Sabres to make some moves to get them under the cap once Gragnani signs. I don't believe the player is obligated to sign an offer sheet if one comes his way.

Maybe they have an agreement in principle and the reason it isn't signed yet is because they are waiting for the Sabres to make some moves to get them under the cap once Gragnani signs. I don't believe the player is obligated to sign an offer sheet if one comes his way.

They can be up to 10% over the cap in the offseason.

If someone gives them an offer sheet, we're in big trouble. If someone who is near the floor in cap space (Florida?) offers Enroth a 5 mil contract and Gragnani one for 3 mil, what can we do? They need to spend money and we need to conserve it.

I don't think they'd be in big trouble, it's their 7th Dman and their backup goalie. It'd suck to lose the prospects, but if a team is crazy enough to give the contracts you mentioned for their talent the Sabres would end up with a 1st, 2-2nds, and a 3rd round pick to replace them in the system. And can fill those positions via the scraps remaining in free agency.

I like Enroth as a potential backup. But even as a backup, I would suspect he's going to get cracked once shooters figure him out. And sooner or later they will.

5 million?....nobody is going to start giving cash and picks away for someone that isn't a proven #1.

I like this kid better than Sekera. Hope he makes the top 7 this season.

I agree whole heartedly. Gragnani leading the entire team in points in the playoffs is not a fluke, is serves as a prime example of his offensive skills. His passing, and playmaking ability is spectacular. And if he continues to progress in those aspects, while tightening up his defensive zone play, we may truly have a gifted 2way Offensive Defenseman on our roster,

The player Sekera was "supposed" to be. :death:

I agree whole heartedly. Gragnani leading the entire team in points in the playoffs is not a fluke, is serves as a prime example of his offensive skills. His passing, and playmaking ability is spectacular. And if he continues to progress in those aspects, while tightening up his defensive zone play, we may truly have a gifted 2way Offensive Defenseman on our roster,

The player Sekera was "supposed" to be.

Gragnani was a pleasant surprise last year, but I find it hard to believe he will be better than Sekera solely based on a 16 game stretch. Especially since Sekera is only 1 year older than Gragnani and has had 3 NHL seasons to Grag's zero.

Gragnani was a pleasant surprise last year, but I find it hard to believe he will be better than Sekera solely based on a 16 game stretch. Especially since Sekera is only 1 year older than Gragnani and has had 3 NHL seasons to Grag's zero.

While it's true that predicting MAG to be a superstar based off 16 games is a little pre-mature, he does have more impressive credentials than Sekera. His AHL production has been through the roof and he has played on Canada's WJC18 and WJC teams. If I had to choose one of them, I would take MAG. But that's not to say Sekera won't be a very good offensive defenseman...

While it's true that predicting MAG to be a superstar based off 16 games is a little pre-mature, he does have more impressive credentials than Sekera. His AHL production has been through the roof and he has played on Canada's WJC18 and WJC teams. If I had to choose one of them, I would take MAG. But that's not to say Sekera won't be a very good offensive defenseman...

I would expect it to be, he had 4 years of service in the AHL. What would Sekera's numbers look like last year if he were playing in the AHL?

I feel as though if it were true that Gragnani is the better player and has the higher upside, being as they are so close in age and draft year, he would have been in the NHL ahead of Sekera for the past few seasons. I think his tentative status as a prospect makes people believe he has more to offer than he does. I hope I'm wrong.

I do think he's a great option as a #7 Dman this upcoming season and great depth for injury or ineffectiveness.

The player Sekera was "supposed" to be. :death:

neither of these guys are finished products....not even close.

I would expect it to be, he had 4 years of service in the AHL. What would Sekera's numbers look like last year if he were playing in the AHL?

I feel as though if it were true that Gragnani is the better player and has the higher upside, being as they are so close in age and draft year, he would have been in the NHL ahead of Sekera for the past few seasons. I think his tentative status as a prospect makes people believe he has more to offer than he does.

I do think he's a great option as a #7 Dman this upcoming season and a great depth for injury or ineffectiveness.

It is interesting how the players were handled so differently. Sekera has barely played a full season (94 games, 36 pts) in the AHL while Gragnani has spent the better part of 4 seasons there, and yet based on statistics, MAG should have been here much sooner. I think maybe they "rushed" Sekera as kind of a crapshoot ... "Hopefully he pans out, but even at best, he'll be a second or third pairing defenseman." Where as MAG they truly wanted to take their time and develop him, perhaps thinking he has much larger star potential. That's my only theory -- I actually didn't realize they were so close in age.. seems like Sekera has been here forever.

It is interesting how the players were handled so differently. Sekera has barely played a full season (94 games, 36 pts) in the AHL while Gragnani has spent the better part of 4 seasons there, and yet based on statistics, MAG should have been here much sooner. I think maybe they "rushed" Sekera as kind of a crapshoot ... "Hopefully he pans out, but even at best, he'll be a second or third pairing defenseman." Where as MAG they truly wanted to take their time and develop him, perhaps thinking he has much larger star potential. That's my only theory -- I actually didn't realize they were so close in age.. seems like Sekera has been here forever.

I think there was a position switch in there somewhere for Gragnani as well, which may have slowed his development some.

I think there was a position switch in there somewhere for Gragnani as well, which may have slowed his development some.

Actually....go to SabresTV and see the interview with TJ Brennan.

It sounds like that switch to forward was developmental design....after playing forward, he now knows what kind of outlet passes he needs to deliver.

Archived