The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Right. So how many "session" IPA's should I reasonably be consuming in a session? Is a session 12 hours long with a break for lunch? Is it only 4-5 hours? Should I be doing something with my hands during the session? What's the ideal ambient temperature for a session?

F*ck it, where's a 12 pack of Genny light cans?

I figure a session is being able to go to the bar and drive home afterwards.

Honestly, I just don't "get" IPA's and all of their variants. There's too many of them and they're all kinda boring, ######, over priced and overrated. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with IPA's. They don't go that good with food, they don't go that good with sports, and they tend to be too boozy to "have a couple with the boys" after work or while doing yard work or hiking or whatever. The IPA just doesn't seem to have a place in my beer drinking lifestyle. I can't find a reason to have one other than "well I haven't had it". 

Extra Stout you say? Intriguing.

21jnvl.jpg

*double d4rk kill bonus*

Drink what you want man, I don't care. You like adjunct beers? Go for it, I think 90% of them taste like hot garbage, but I'm not going to talk trash about you for it. I just ask you do the same for me.

I do think there are probably too many IPAs out there, and that breweries use them as a crutch sometimes. I've waxed philosophic about it before in this thread, but I think part of it was that IPAs were so completely different from anything else out there that when they first started popping up it was a way to kind of prove yourself to fellow beer drinkers. "Hey, I'm in on it, too." You'd go to a bar and order the hop bomb, 3 guys would look at you like you were nuts and one guy would give you a little nod. It was a thing. Now they've become so much a part of the culture that they've over done it.

I'll disagree that they're all the same, though. Plop down a West Coast IPA or a NE IPA or a British IPA and you're getting 3 very different beers. A lot of places have started going away from the high IBU IPAs and are heading towards a more hop flavor forward beer, so its changed in that respect, too. 

On the beer nerd side, I like IPAs because you really get a feel for different individual hops and what they bring to the table with IPAs, because they're the main centerpiece of the beer, unlike stouts, porters, and lagers where its all on the malt, or sours where the fermenters are the main attraction.

But again, whatever. The whole point of the craft beer renessaince wasn't about IPA vs Adjunct, it was about having choices in your beer. IPA, Lager, Stout, Porter, Saison (actually my personal favorite), Brown, Pale Ale, and all from different places trying different things instead of only the 10 breweries who managed to make it out of prohibition with enough money to brew again.

Drink. What. You. Like. Thats what its all about.

Edited by sabelvilhelm

Drink what you want man, I don't care. You like adjunct beers? Go for it, I think 90% of them taste like hot garbage, but I'm not going to talk trash about you for it. I just ask you do the same for me.

I do think there are probably too many IPAs out there, and that breweries use them as a crutch sometimes. I've waxed philosophic about it before in this thread, but I think part of it was that IPAs were so completely different from anything else out there that when they first started popping up it was a way to kind of prove yourself to fellow beer drinkers. "Hey, I'm in on it, too." You'd go to a bar and order the hop bomb, 3 guys would look at you like you were nuts and one guy would give you a little nod. It was a thing. Now they've become so much a part of the culture that they've over done it.

I don't think d4rk is trashing anyone for what they drink -- he's ventilating about IPAs being a sh1t style that's overrated and over-produced.

Of course, he's dead effing wrong on most of what he's saying. There's a REASON the IPA has become so popular. It's a frickin' delicious style, with a lot of variations available and provided.

It probably is right that it's over-produced -- in fact, I know it's right.

I really prefer to get a flagship brown ale. CBW's Whale is my go-to.

For awhile there was definitely a d!ck swinging contest with IPAs. We'd go to a place that specializes in craft and it was 85% IPAs, one or two stouts, an ale, and the rest is bottles of stuff like Labatt. For someone like me who really doesn't like IPAs at all, it was the message of "If you don't drink IPAs you don't belong here appreciating the art" and I'd be left drinking the one kind of hefe available or a heavy stout or porter in July.

It's lessened a bit, and I'm glad for that. I don't like them, but I don't give a crap if others love them/prefer them. Just stop the hierarchy b.s., offer a wide variety, grab a pint of what you like, and enjoy hanging out with your friends. There's a time and place for every beer. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

For awhile there was definitely a d!ck swinging contest with IPAs. We'd go to a place that specializes in craft and it was 85% IPAs, one or two stouts, an ale, and the rest is bottles of stuff like Labatt. For someone like me who really doesn't like IPAs at all, it was the message of "If you don't drink IPAs you don't belong here appreciating the art" and I'd be left drinking the one kind of hefe available or a heavy stout or porter in July.

It's lessened a bit, and I'm glad for that. I don't like them, but I don't give a crap if others love them/prefer them. Just stop the hierarchy b.s., offer a wide variety, grab a pint of what you like, and enjoy hanging out with your friends. There's a time and place for every beer. 

Amen. And yeah, they absolutely got too far into for a while. My favorite new beer I've had this past year was a Pilsner by Thin Man, which is a style places weren't touching for a long while. Give me options.

Amen. And yeah, they absolutely got too far into for a while. My favorite new beer I've had this past year was a Pilsner by Thin Man, which is a style places weren't touching for a long while. Give me options.

It's good, yes. 

I don't have a lot of money, I can't drink a lot of beer anymore. When I walk into a store or bar to buy some beer or have a couple pints, I get tired of being faced with aisle after aisle of IPA options and a shelf or two for everything else. I dont' know if that has something to do with how IPAs are made- easier to vary?- but I'd love to see some of that hoppy passion put into some other styles. 

Bars have really been on a sour kick the last year or two as well. IPAs and sours. Yeah... neither profile is for me. Kudos for creativity though I suppose. Maybe I'm the one who needs to change. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

It's good, yes. 

I don't have a lot of money, I can't drink a lot of beer anymore. When I walk into a store or bar to buy some beer or have a couple pints, I get tired of being faced with aisle after aisle of IPA options and a shelf or two for everything else. I dont' know if that has something to do with how IPAs are made- easier to vary?- but I'd love to see some of that hoppy passion put into some other styles. 

Bars have really been on a sour kick the last year or two as well. IPAs and sours. Yeah... neither profile is for me. Kudos for creativity though I suppose. Maybe I'm the one who needs to change. 

Sours have grown on me, but its a once in a while thing. I almost never buy any to take home, usually I'll just give one a try at a bar or something. 

I do like the Belgian stuff which usually have some sour notes to them without being overpowering.

Sours have grown on me, but its a once in a while thing. I almost never buy any to take home, usually I'll just give one a try at a bar or something. 

I do like the Belgian stuff which usually have some sour notes to them without being overpowering.

I had some luck desecrating a sour by combining it with Chambord. I'm not a fan of a hint of sour- my nose picks it up as "dirty dish mop water" and my brain can't get past it. Something in them usually messes with me anyways, so, eh. More for the rest of ya haha 

People bitch about not liking the "dark" beers because they are "heavy".  They'll gladly knock down a 7.6% IPA that has more malt in it than a 5.5% stout and declare it's not as heavy.  

That said, I think the message you are taking is a bit too personal.  The bar owner is going to cater to what can turn over the fastest on the taps and for a long time that was IPA.  It's still commonly IPA.

Most beer bars are also going to overcharge for everything.  The sports bar I was in this past weekend was in our Comfort Inn (Pittsburgh).  The pints of beer were basically capped at $4.  The selection wasn't great but for some of the beers it would still be $2 more at a beer bar.

Rochester Ice Center (Thomas Creek) has Triphammer IPA on for $4/pint.  Scottsville Ice Rink had Sierra Nevada Celebration at $4.  Again, many places are going to have those for a minimum of $5.50 and up.

Granted it's still no $2 Labatt or $1.50 Genny... 

People bitch about not liking the "dark" beers because they are "heavy".  They'll gladly knock down a 7.6% IPA that has more malt in it than a 5.5% stout and declare it's not as heavy.  

That said, I think the message you are taking is a bit too personal.  The bar owner is going to cater to what can turn over the fastest on the taps and for a long time that was IPA.  It's still commonly IPA.

Most beer bars are also going to overcharge for everything.  The sports bar I was in this past weekend was in our Comfort Inn (Pittsburgh).  The pints of beer were basically capped at $4.  The selection wasn't great but for some of the beers it would still be $2 more at a beer bar.

Rochester Ice Center (Thomas Creek) has Triphammer IPA on for $4/pint.  Scottsville Ice Rink had Sierra Nevada Celebration at $4.  Again, many places are going to have those for a minimum of $5.50 and up.

I like variety. That's my problem with IPA's and most craft beer places. You can tell me they're different and nuanced, but it's like red wine to me. Is it red? Okay, cool.

I like a beer list where everything is represented. I miss MacGregors in Rochester for this. Stouts, porters, IPAs, Imperials, whatever. Just let me order something different each time. Going from IPA to IPA is a bore. 

Ehhhhhhhhhh sure it's a bit personal, what isn't, but this isn't a quibble of the bars or the stores themselves- you're absolutely right, they're just catering to the people. It's the attitude of people, the demand, and attitude/demand are contingent with prevailing trends/beliefs, and in this case, IPAs had the lion's share, and I'm not entirely convinced it's because most people actually prefer them. 

I don't believe I'm alone in feeling there was an almost arms race for IPAs to be as hoppy as possible, nigh undrinkable. I know many beer loving friends whose eyes were watering trying piney/cleaning solvent-esque brews in order to explore the genre. I'm not saying there aren't plenty of folks who love that taste, but I think the trend/craze has mellowed out a bit. 

I'm just saying, let's have some more love/options for the other types. And to some of the beer snobs I know- IPAs aren't necessarily the pinnacle be all end all of brewing- no need for absolutes. People get verrrry defensive of their favorite brew. Each type can shine in its own way. 

Honestly, it's a net positive for beer when a style takes off like IPAs have, even if I hate them. Well, most of them. I've had one or two that didn't make my tongue curl up like an angry fern frond. 

Wonder what the next huge trend will be? 

Ehhhhhhhhhh sure it's a bit personal, what isn't, but this isn't a quibble of the bars or the stores themselves- you're absolutely right, they're just catering to the people. It's the attitude of people, the demand, and attitude/demand are contingent with prevailing trends/beliefs, and in this case, IPAs had the lion's share, and I'm not entirely convinced it's because most people actually prefer them. 

I don't believe I'm alone in feeling there was an almost arms race for IPAs to be as hoppy as possible, nigh undrinkable. I know many beer loving friends whose eyes were watering trying piney/cleaning solvent-esque brews in order to explore the genre. I'm not saying there aren't plenty of folks who love that taste, but I think the trend/craze has mellowed out a bit. 

I'm just saying, let's have some more love/options for the other types. And to some of the beer snobs I know- IPAs aren't necessarily the pinnacle be all end all of brewing- no need for absolutes. People get verrrry defensive of their favorite brew. Each type can shine in its own way. 

Honestly, it's a net positive for beer when a style takes off like IPAs have, even if I hate them. Well, most of them. I've had one or two that didn't make my tongue curl up like an angry fern frond. 

This is absolutely true. IPA's took off going from 60 to 80 to 100+ IBU's. 

The beer with the highest IBU rating that I like is Smuttynose Robust Porter with a 61 IBU rating. An IPA with the same IBU will make my tongue curl up

We've seen big IBU's and big ABV's.  Sessions were a thing.  Sours have run their course.  Barrel aged beers are on the down swing.  Allkinds of flavored beers are still running their course. (now there is a trend I am waiting to see die)  My money is on continental lagers for the next fad.

There are plenty of beer alternatives to consume.  A good Hefe should run around or under 5% abv and be refreshing.  Berliner Weisse.  The session IPAs.. some pilsners as well.  There are a few rice beers that would fit the bill as well.

If Berliner Weisse was the only beer left on the planet, I'd quit drinking cold turkey. I once accidentally took a swig of skunked beer, and I'm honestly not sure it was much worse than the weisse.

We've seen big IBU's and big ABV's.  Sessions were a thing.  Sours have run their course.  Barrel aged beers are on the down swing.  Allkinds of flavored beers are still running their course. (now there is a trend I am waiting to see die)  My money is on continental lagers for the next fad.

Are they? I feel like every time I go to buy beer, a different company has a new barrel aged variety.

If Berliner Weisse was the only beer left on the planet, I'd quit drinking cold turkey. I once accidentally took a swig of skunked beer, and I'm honestly not sure it was much worse than the weisse.

Aww, that's too bad. There are some really bad ones though.

The one I had was by Victory, so I'd be surprised if it was one of the bad ones...though nobody is perfect. In fairness, however, I'm not a big fan of sour tastes in general.

I'm not a huge fan of Victory. They were good when others weren't making better beer but while others have turned up their game I think Victory has rested on its name.  It's certainly don't think of them when it comes to that style.  Of course, if you don't like sour then you're not going to like that style anyway.  :)

Hey, let's have a beer. Then we can burp up a Christmas tree for the next five hours.

IPAs suck.

I know, I know, the Christmas tree IPAs are from the West coast. Just have an East Coast IPA. They're more citrusy,... blah, blah, blah...

IPAs suck.

Wait.. I can play this game.

IPAs are awesome.  I said it, therefore it must be so.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.