The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Never tried a braggot. I've yet to try a mead I like so I've always assumed I wouldn't like it. I like lots of IBU, full body, alcohol(covered), and I don't mind a bit of sweetness or hint of spice. Would I like it?

I love mead.  It's a sweeter drink.  There's no bitterness in a braggot.  So, if you want the IBU you're best off going with the barleywine to fit all those characteristics.  Still, I'd always suggest you try anything once... unless you absolutely know for certain.

The Rogue beer is a 750ml.  It's not overly expensive if you can spare the dime.  I believe it was in the $8 range.  

That has to be a punchline to some joke from the 90s.

Somewhere... :)

So I had a chance to stop in the New York Beer Project yesterday after my son's team won their division.   I was very impressed with the quality of their beer.  It was a pretty cool place too and the food was quite tasty.

One of those places that is really out of the way but if  there were one in Rochester I might find myself going to it quite often.  For those in Buffalo who can go... you should.

They had a great Coffee Milk Stout on Nitro.. under 5%... fantastic.  The Wee Heavy was also spot on for the style.

So I had a chance to stop in the New York Beer Project yesterday after my son's team won their division.   I was very impressed with the quality of their beer.  It was a pretty cool place too and the food was quite tasty.

One of those places that is really out of the way but if  there were one in Rochester I might find myself going to it quite often.  For those in Buffalo who can go... you should.

They had a great Coffee Milk Stout on Nitro.. under 5%... fantastic.  The Wee Heavy was also spot on for the style.

My friend bartends there, I went there during their soft opening before they integrated their own beer. So while I can't say I've tried their own brews, I do know that the atmosphere is really neat and the food is good. Prices were reasonable too. I agree, the location is an odd one but the place is great

New southern Tier / Victory partnership to be based in Charlotte. Western NC quickly becoming the top US beer destination.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/41666/southern-tier-victory-brewing-merger-headquarters/

I saw that; any indication if that will be the only brewspot for those two? I know STBC was going to open a brewpub in Pittsburgh, but will they keep their current location open?

I saw that; any indication if that will be the only brewspot for those two? I know STBC was going to open a brewpub in Pittsburgh, but will they keep their current location open?

Victory has built two new facilities in the last few years, a new restaurant in Kennet Square and the just-opened Parkesburg plant/pub, I'd be surprised if they closed up shop in SE PA.

http://www.victorybeer.com/2015/12/tour-victorys-parkesburg-brewing-facility-today-make-stop-new-brewpub/

Edited by MattPie

In the Facebook post where I got this from, ST says they aren't closing any facilities. Only addition, not subtraction. I assume the same goes for Victory.

Cool. STBC is a cool place, and most importantly I still want Southern Tier beer to be from, you know, the Southern Tier.

• 2 weeks later...

So evidently the Governor of Virginia will be in Roanoke today to announce that Deschutes will be opening a brewery / pub downtown. I'm wholly unfamiliar with their beer, anybody got anything?

Great brewery, fantastic pale ale. Rumors that some NC locales were in the running, but we've been spoiled lately anyway with great breweries setting up shop here.

Great brewery, fantastic pale ale. Rumors that some NC locales were in the running, but we've been spoiled lately anyway with great breweries setting up shop here.

I'd read that it was between Roanoke and Asheville.  It does seem like Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina are absolutely lousy with breweries all of a sudden.  Which is nice...

So evidently the Governor of Virginia will be in Roanoke today to announce that Deschutes will be opening a brewery / pub downtown.  I'm wholly unfamiliar with their beer, anybody got anything?

My wife loves their stuff, and I tend to agree. Deschutes and Rogue were her favorites when she lived in Oregon. The Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout, and Fresh-squeezed IPA stand out for me, but I haven't been as adventurous in my sampling lately so it's been awhile since I've had the others.

Dogfish Head's Romantic Chemistry: like many odd creations of Dogfish beer, you look at the label and read the ingredients and think, man, that's crazy I have to try it. Then when you do, it's OK. Maybe it's the excitement of trying something new, maybe those things didn't really belong together in the first place. In either case, I'm left thinking I'm glad I tried it, but I should have bought a case of something that was less of an experiment.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/seasonal-brews/romantic-chemistry/index.htm

Edited by MattPie

I'd read that it was between Roanoke and Asheville.  It does seem like Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina are absolutely lousy with breweries all of a sudden.  Which is nice...

It's going to Roanoke. Asheville has become pretty saturated with microbreweries lately. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.