The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Anyone heard of/tried anything from Good Nature Brewing?

I'm a swill drinker, myself. But my cousin has been designing beers for them for a little bit and I was wondering how the more refined folk like them or if anyone has tried them.

He's making one now using all ingredients from our grandfather's back yard garden/Orchard. Gramps died years back but we were all close. I'll definitely be trying that beer when it comes out.

• 5 weeks later...

Stone Enjoy by 2/14/16 Unfiltered IPA. (I assume / hope they keep making this and change the date. Though my wife bought it and informed me it was $16 for a six, so who knows?)

9.4% alcohol. Doesn't taste like it. Usually, when the alcohol content is taken to such absurd levels (looking at you, Brooklyn) it just tastes like isopropyl. This stuff is delicious. If you like IPA's.

Stone Enjoy by 2/14/16 Unfiltered IPA. (I assume / hope they keep making this and change the date. Though my wife bought it and informed me it was $16 for a six, so who knows?)

9.4% alcohol. Doesn't taste like it. Usually, when the alcohol content is taken to such absurd levels (looking at you, Brooklyn) it just tastes like isopropyl. This stuff is delicious. If you like IPA's.

Stone has been doing the Enjoy By series for some time and I assume it will continue.

Often high abv beers that have that hot alcohol trait is a result of a poorly controlled fermentation and/or an under pitched wort that stresses the yeast.  As a general rule you'll probably find the newer or smaller micros putting out beers like this, but the bigger more established players like Stone won't let a batch with a flaw like that out the door.

A friend who is a home brewer is visiting this weekend so we are trying to hit as many of the local breweries as possible on saturday.  There are 5 within about 5 minutes of my house, so that's what we're focusing on.  And bonus points to the fact that his wife is pregnant.  Hooray designated driver!

A friend who is a home brewer is visiting this weekend so we are trying to hit as many of the local breweries as possible on saturday.  There are 5 within about 5 minutes of my house, so that's what we're focusing on.  And bonus points to the fact that his wife is pregnant.  Hooray designated driver!

If I wasn't traveling I'd plan on crashing your brewery crawl.  Check their web pages for any food trucks they will have that day.  I'm pretty sure that I saw on my feed that the Maine Lobster food truck is at Draftline sometime this weekend.  Awesome if you love lobster.  I think it's Bombshell's 2nd anniversary bash on Saturday too.

I'll be doing my own beer / brewery crawl in Belgium next week.  I'm going to Disney World (of beer)!

If I wasn't traveling I'd plan on crashing your brewery crawl.  Check their web pages for any food trucks they will have that day.  I'm pretty sure that I saw on my feed that the Maine Lobster food truck is at Draftline sometime this weekend.  Awesome if you love lobster.  I think it's Bombshell's 2nd anniversary bash on Saturday too.

I'll be doing my own beer / brewery crawl in Belgium next week.  I'm going to Disney World (of beer)!

I saw that 2nd anniversary thing earlier this week.  We may actually head there friday night instead to avoid the crowd.  And I think they're pretty much all going to have food trucks on saturday, I know I've seen a few listed.  If I want food though, I may have to hit up those Aviator wings.

I'll also be making my first (finally) visit to CBC.

Flying Bison's Herc Barley Wine is back on the shelves right now. If you've never had the opportunity to try this beer, you should do it. It packs a boozy punch but in a very mellow way. 

I will testify that one of the first beers I ever had, well before I was 21, was a Herc. Probably from the first batch. My friend's father was a partner with Flying Bison and decided it would be fun to indulge the curiosity of a bunch of amateurs. :lol: 
I liked it, and it cemented my affinity for tasty beers at an impressionable age. 

It's one of my favorites to this day, and by far my favorite Flying Bison offering. 

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/702/18605/

Flying Bison's Herc Barley Wine is back on the shelves right now. If you've never had the opportunity to try this beer, you should do it. It packs a boozy punch but in a very mellow way. 

I will testify that one of the first beers I ever had, well before I was 21, was a Herc. Probably from the first batch. My friend's father was a partner with Flying Bison and decided it would be fun to indulge the curiosity of a bunch of amateurs. :lol: 

I liked it, and it cemented my affinity for tasty beers at an impressionable age. 

It's one of my favorites to this day, and by far my favorite Flying Bison offering. 

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/702/18605/

I wonder if I know your friend's father?  When I lived in the metro area I used to hang out at the brewery rather often and got to know the owner real well and a couple of the investors.

I saw that 2nd anniversary thing earlier this week.  We may actually head there friday night instead to avoid the crowd.  And I think they're pretty much all going to have food trucks on saturday, I know I've seen a few listed.  If I want food though, I may have to hit up those Aviator wings.

I'll also be making my first (finally) visit to CBC.

The new CBC taprooom is nice, but rather small.  Hopefully the weather is ok so you can use the patio if needed.  If they still have it make sure to try some of the bourbon barrel aged stout.  The Hop Roar west coast style IPA is a new offering that I enjoyed too.

I met that Bill once when I guest brewed at FB. He had some homebrewed Scottish ale that was pretty hoppy...and thus not a real Scottish, but still as I like to say DGB (damn good beer).

Yeah, he's a hophead.  Don't know how he agreed to back Tim.  Tim is the anti-hophead.  I've had his Scottish recipe, and I agree DGB.

Finishing up day 2 in Paris sitting at an Irish pub around the corner from our hotel. Drinking Guinness and as it turns out it really is different here in Europe, it lacks that astringency you often find in the states. My wife is on her second pint and she won't touch it at home.

What Irish bar? When I studied abroad in Paris there was one Irish bar I went to in order to get my Guinness fix. It's called Galways

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.