The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I had the pleasure of enjoying an incredible beer this past weekend.  Silencio from Wicked Weed.  A soured black ale aged in bourbon barrels and brewed with coffee and vanilla.  Every part of that complex mingling of ingredients, wood and yeast came through in aroma, flavor or both.  Absolutely fantastic.

http://wickedweedbrewing.com/silencio-release/

...that explains oh so much.

The day I jokingly called my buddy anorexic with his sister who, and I didn't know this, was just released from care for being anorexic, sat next to me at their dinner table with what I believe was her first time having a very nice guy over was the day my hair went from blonde to red in an instant, and my soul slowly drifted into the ceiling fan and was obliterated. His mom tried so hard to get 15 year old me to not remember the word 'anorexic', but damn was I just fixed on figuring it out. 

Well, my beer connection netted me a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. I must say I'm looking forward to it. Probably saving it for the Bills game to help me cope if we lose.

You'll love it.  A couple years ago I got my mitts on 2 bottles.  Wish I'd have kept/aged one of them.

Anyone have any suggestions for beer in Raleigh? I'm down here for a few days and I want to try some local faire.

Wicked weed Pernicious IPA or Freak of nature double IPA or really anything you find by them are must tries. Foothills, draft line, aviator, triangle, devils backbone, highland, big boss, deep river and white street are all local-ish breweries with solid offerings.

Wicked weed Pernicious IPA or Freak of nature double IPA or really anything you find by them are must tries. Foothills, draft line, aviator, triangle, devils backbone, highland, big boss, deep river and white street are all local-ish breweries with solid offerings.

I grabbed some cans of Lonerider Hoppy Ki Yay which is pretty good. I'm definetly going to have to stop back at the store and grab some Wicked Weed, I've been hearing great stuff about it for a while, I forgot they were an NC export. I'm going to rope the guy I'm down here with into going to Trophy Brewing and Pizza for dinner tomorrow.

I grabbed some cans of Lonerider Hoppy Ki Yay which is pretty good. I'm definetly going to have to stop back at the store and grab some Wicked Weed, I've been hearing great stuff about it for a while, I forgot they were an NC export. I'm going to rope the guy I'm down here with into going to Trophy Brewing and Pizza for dinner tomorrow.

Forgot Lonerider, good beers there too. Brewery right by the airport. I've only been to Trophy a few times and they had solid beers.

I think it's actually a blonde ale, but I think the yellow lager / light ale profile is exactly what they were going for in terms of mass appeal.

One Buffalo has a high wheat base.  It's more of a lightly hopped wheat pale than anything if I recall the original description properly.

I had the pleasure of enjoying an incredible beer this past weekend.  Silencio from Wicked Weed.  A soured black ale aged in bourbon barrels and brewed with coffee and vanilla.  Every part of that complex mingling of ingredients, wood and yeast came through in aroma, flavor or both.  Absolutely fantastic.

http://wickedweedbrewing.com/silencio-release/

Sigh.. someone needs to trade me some beers... :)

Anyone tried Great Lakes Christmas Ale? That has good reviews on Beer Advocate

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/1576/

If you like Christmas Ales then you should like this.  I'm not a HUGE fan of Christmas Ales.

Anyone tried Great Lakes Christmas Ale? That has good reviews on Beer Advocate

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/1576/

Yes, had some a few weeks back when I popped home for the weekend.

It's good, has a tinge of that christmas feel, but is fairly mellow in terms of taste. Didn't punch me in the face with garlands and sparkles and holiday cheer like Shiner's Christmas Ale does, but was a bit different from your other Great Lakes standbys. 

That being said, I still think Shiner Christmas is my favorite seasonal. 

Just hearing the Aviator name makes me want some wings.  I guess I could get some beer to go along with them.  None of their stuff has really stuck out to me though.

Had about 7 of Fullsteam Brewery's offerings tonight (5 of those were in a flight) after work in Durham, then stopped over to The Pit and had another beer there (I can't  remember what), and then a White Street Kolsch across the street at Parts and Labor. Immersing myself in NC beer this week, and I am yet to be disappointed.

Had about 7 of Fullsteam Brewery's offerings tonight (5 of those were in a flight) after work in Durham, then stopped over to The Pit and had another beer there (I can't remember what), and then a White Street Kolsch across the street at Parts and Labor. Immersing myself in NC beer this week, and I am yet to be disappointed.

Forgot about Fullsteam too, although when they first came on the scene most or all of their beers were "harvest" inspired. Sweet potato and basil beers didn't do it for me. I understand they now offer more traditional styles but haven't tried much yet. Did you get your hands on any wicked weed?

Did you get some authentic eastern NC BBQ at the pit?

Edited by Claude_Verret

Forgot about Fullsteam too, although when they first came on the scene most or all of their beers were "harvest" inspired. Sweet potato and basil beers didn't do it for me. I understand they now offer more traditional styles but haven't tried much yet. Did you get your hands on any wicked weed?

Did you get some authentic eastern NC BBQ at the pit?

Fullsteam was good, they had some odd beers for sure, but they had a good line of standards as well. I really liked their Rye IPA, the tequila barrel aged stout was a little much for me, haha.

Unfortunately the store I went to for Wicked Weed didn't have any, but I've got a line on where it resides, so I'm going to try to grab it tonight.

The BBQ was very good, I believe it was "Eastern Style", so no sauce. First time I've had BBQ like that; I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but it was surprisingly moist and really good. We've got a couple more suggestions of places to try, so that'll probably happen today.

You know this reminds me that when I met weave this summer I told him I could arrange to ship some beers......and of course forgot all about it.  I'd be willing to set up a little SS beer trading club if there is interest?  

Still interested.  Still waiting......  :P

You know this reminds me that when I met weave this summer I told him I could arrange to ship some beers......and of course forgot all about it.  I'd be willing to set up a little SS beer trading club if there is interest?  

I'd be interested... no doubt.  Although you might be have a hard time with so many of us being in the same distribution area. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.