The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

New Belgiums new Citradelic IPA. Citra hops with a light touch of tangerine. This one and Sierra Nevada's new Beer Camp Tropical IPA are awesome.

I'm drinking Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter. I really like this. Apparently hop farmers are retrofitting mint oil extraction machines to produce this hop oil right on the farm. I haven't brewed a batch in a while but am going to my local brew store tomorrow to get some. It's time.

Using hop oil is an experiment in the extreme.  It's not a bad thing by any means but it's easy to really send things awry.

My wife likes Dirty little freak (coconut caramel?) and Sweet Baby Jesus (peanut butter Porter?) from Duclaw. I may have the names and styles reversed, but I like the peanut butter Porter for a few sips, but wouldn't want a pint or more.

You got them right.  A lot of brewers will use some kind of flavor extract to get the notes they are looking for rather than actually using the ingredient.  It's a noticeable different.  I feel like Dirty Little Freak does down that path.  I've never had Sweet Baby Jesus but I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter chocolate beers overall.

Freak is decent, but one a night or splitting one is about all I want.

Using hop oil is an experiment in the extreme.  It's not a bad thing by any means but it's easy to really send things awry.

Lagunitas started using extract over 10 years ago to make Hop Stoopid. I suspect using an oil extract is more repeatable and precise than using raw hops.  I think it's use is more widespread than we realize.

Lagunitas started using extract over 10 years ago to make Hop Stoopid. I suspect using an oil extract is more repeatable and precise than using raw hops.  I think it's use is more widespread than we realize.

Yep.  Hop Stoopid had a lot of haters because some purists called it cheating.  I called it one of the best bargain you could (and still can) find.  It's a great beer.

Hop oils are becoming more common.  I think there is still a stigma attached with some pro brewers but those will fade.  It's amazing how consistent brewers are with hop pellets these days.  Knowing the AA's on each crop really helps them lock it in and the professional systems are built for consistency.  Still, I would venture a guess that even marginally the oils would produce a more consistent result. 

After this past weekend in Pittsburgh I was able to grab some beers not in the WNY area.

Always been a fan of Deschutes... Black Butte Porter is amazing.  Brought home their Fresh Squeezed IPA... BAM.. that's a seriously good beer.

Dirty Little Freak from Duclaw is interesting.  I'm not sold on DuClaw though.  A little too much flash without the amazing quality to back it up.  Not horrible beers but nothing spectacular.

LTS, summing up my thoughts exactly. I'll second all of that, other than I haven't had DLF. Sweet baby Jesus was OK, but the day I tried that I also tried a Mint Chocolate Stout that was a better beer; if only I could remember who made it.

Went to a brewery and had a Cherry Pie Stout. It was fantastic. 9.5% alcohol and you couldn't really taste that. Sadly this place doesn't bottle or can yet but still they are creative and fun to visit.

Draft beer is the best. Cherry pie stout makes me happy.(Cherry pie rules all other pies). Stout is awesome.(Rorbach's Blueberry Ale somehow compels me to compare). Beer is necessary. I'm glad to see Mr. Liger.

Draft beer is the best. Cherry pie stout makes me happy.(Cherry pie rules all other pies). Stout is awesome.(Rorbach's Blueberry Ale somehow compels me to compare). Beer is necessary. I'm glad to see Mr. Liger.

It's been a while since I've had Rohrbach's blueberry ale, it was probably the summer the last time I've had it. But their vanilla porter is one of my all-time favorite beers 

Had Rogue Farms Marionberry Braggot last night.  If you are a fan of braggot's (and I am) or even if you are not you should try it.  Beware.. it's a big beer (11.42%).

I am not usually a fan of Rogue overall and I've had quite a few braggots that don't hold up but I think they did an amazing job on that beer.

Had Rogue Farms Marionberry Braggot last night.  If you are a fan of braggot's (and I am) or even if you are not you should try it.  Beware.. it's a big beer (11.42%).

I am not usually a fan of Rogue overall and I've had quite a few braggots that don't hold up but I think they did an amazing job on that beer.

That has to be a punchline to some joke from the 90s.

Had Rogue Farms Marionberry Braggot last night. If you are a fan of braggot's (and I am) or even if you are not you should try it. Beware.. it's a big beer (11.42%).

Never tried a braggot. I've yet to try a mead I like so I've always assumed I wouldn't like it. I like lots of IBU, full body, alcohol(covered), and I don't mind a bit of sweetness or hint of spice. Would I like it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.