The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Still interested.  Still waiting......  :P

I'd be interested... no doubt.  Although you might be have a hard time with so many of us being in the same distribution area. :)

Well let's see if we gain any interest from folks in other areas, if not I'd be ok sending a shipment up your way and figuring something out.  Let's aim for getting it set up in the new year.

You know this reminds me that when I met weave this summer I told him I could arrange to ship some beers......and of course forgot all about it.  I'd be willing to set up a little SS beer trading club if there is interest?  

I'm interested! Same distribution area as most in this thread though

Well let's see if we gain any interest from folks in other areas, if not I'd be ok sending a shipment up your way and figuring something out.  Let's aim for getting it set up in the new year.

The biggest challenge I see in making this beneficial for you is, you already have access (via family, and via distribution) to most of the great stuff that is in the WNY area.  But hopefully we can work something out.

I'm interested. There's a bunch of good Philly-area beer.

The hunt is over! Pernicious is mine! and delicious; its the kind of IPA I like, floral and hoppy without overwhelming bitterness, and very clean and crisp. Thanks for the recommendation, CV.

I just read that Pernicious took silver for American IPA at the 2015 GABF.  A true west coast IPA in the southeast... glad you had the chance to try some.  My local watering hole has had it on draft for the past month and I hope it becomes a permanent fixture.

My understanding is that USPS shipping would be illegal, FedEx/UPS just against policy.  When I've done it in the past with homebrew and been asked about contents I've said they are "yeast samples" which technically is true.

It's like speeding. That's all I will say.

Got my shipper here.. ready to go when it's time. :)

Anyone tried Great Lakes Christmas Ale? That has good reviews on Beer Advocate

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/1576/

I've had roughly a baker's dozen of the Christmas seasonals over the years. I quite like Great Lakes' offering.

The one quibble, and you'll see this on Beer Advocate's reviews, is that it is not what it once was. I first had it at the flagship brew pub in the Land of Cleves back when it wasn't distributed beyond the state lines. And it drank like a ~10% ABV -- as warm a warmer as I'd ever had. I nursed two pints over the course of a few hours. I'm not sure what happened. My sense is that something got lost as they worked to scale up production, as demand went through the roof.

One Buffalo has a high wheat base.  It's more of a lightly hopped wheat pale than anything if I recall the original description properly.

I had a few, and will agree: For what it is, it is quite good. Trying to split the difference between macro and craft.

Which, not for nothing, is what Southern Tier is now more generally. I'm no longer a fan. They've clearly changed the ingredients on a few of their mainstays. (I don't mean to group Great Lakes with ST; I think the change to the Christmas Ale was more out of necessity, not margin-boosting.)

Edited by That Aud Smell

Resurgence's IPA is surprisingly good for a Buffalo beer. I don't want to sound snobbish, but most of the Buffalo micros are OK but not great. It seems they're catching up fast, and I couldn't be happier.

That is a solid beer.

The Community Beer Works people make some good stuff. They have a specialty IPA that is terrific. Can't recall its name. Singularity? Frank (APA) is nice as well. Their brown (The Whale) is one of my current go-to's.

That is a solid beer.

The Community Beer Works people make some good stuff. They have a specialty IPA that is terrific. Can't recall its name. Singularity? Frank (APA) is nice as well. Their brown (The Whale) is one of my current go-to's.

The Singularities from CBW are a bunch of one off IPAs brewed with a single hop, so its a series of beers, but I agree, its one of my favorites there whichever hop they choose. I think Mosaic was my favorite.

Overall, I think CBW has the best beer in the area. I love going to Resurgence (maybe my favorite location in the city, right there with Blue Monk), and I like that you can get a lot of the other breweries beers in the grocery store or Consumers, but for me Community Beer Works are the best brewers in Buffalo. They consistently put out a very high quality product, and with very little fanfare. 

• 2 weeks later...

Usually not much of a beer guy, but went to a happy hour last evening with coworkers at The Walrus (4th and Main) in downtown Columbus and can't recommend the place enough for you locals and potential Columbus visitors.  They had about 60 beers on tap and all drafts were half off for happy hour until 7.  One side of an 8x14 sheet was all drafts.  The other side was all bottles/cans.  Not a macro to be seen anywhere.  Wide range of ABV from 4.0 to high 9's.

Started with the house Farmer's Autumn Ale (7.4 ABV), which was good, but not my thing.  A little too much on the bitter side for me.  Then switched to the house IPA (7.0 ABV) which was delicious.  Just a tiny bit tart with a fairly strong piney flavor (is this normal?).  So delicious that I stayed with the IPA for my 3rd glass as well.

Great price (My bill was $8.75 for 3 pints before tip), food looked good, and place was very nice and they have live music often.  I'll definitely be back.  It's also inspired me to further explore the craft/local beer scene around Columbus, which is apparently booming, like many other places.   Here's a link showing the Columbus beer scene, and The Walrus isn't even on this list yet.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/40/

• 2 weeks later...

Well in all fairness I got the idea from my dad, he used to leave out a Genny cream ale for Santa.

Yea.. I missed that window.  Dang.  Trying to start that tradition with an 11 and 8 year old could be tough.

I'll try to enjoy my Stone Enjoy by 12.25.15 tonight.. I have 4 left.. having all 4 at 10% each could be painful... especially given the butt kicking two of them gave me the other night.

Cheers!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.