The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Do it.

One bottle of anything is not enough to make me tipsy unless said bottle is full of distilled something.

On second thought, maybe you and I don't need to talk--maybe I need a professional.

Edited by Eleven

One bottle of anything is not enough to make me tipsy unless said bottle is full of distilled something.

On second thought, maybe you and I don't need to talk--maybe I need a professional.

The correct response is, I *am* a professional.

Victory Storm King will fuxk you up.

I have more trouble with Yakima Glory when it's around. It's 8.7% but drinks really easily.

Some years ago when my wife and I were dating, we had lunch at victory while hockey was on. At the end of lunch I suggested that we go over to the bar to watch the end of the game (I seem to think it was Philly/Pitts in the playoffs). We ended up sharing Storm Kings for the rest of that game and a bunch of the next game too. She didn't realize how strong it was until she could barely walk when she got up. When we got back to the house, she tripped on the stairs in the garage and told me "just leave me here, go on inside". I carried her to the couch; chivalry isn't dead.

Edited by MattPie

I have more trouble with Yakima Glory when it's around. It's 8.7% but drinks really easily.

Some years ago when my wife and I were dating, we had lunch at victory while hockey was on. At the end of lunch I suggested that we go over to the bar to watch the end of the game (I seem to think it was Philly/Pitts in the playoffs). We ended up sharing Storm Kings for the rest of that game and a bunch of the next game too. She didn't realize how strong it was until she could barely walk when she got up. When we got back to the house, she tripped on the stairs in the garage and told me "just leave me here, go on inside". I carried her to the couch; chivalry isn't dead.

There's something about that beer and it's not just the ABV. I once had a 6 pack of it at a party and basically thought I was going to die :lol:

Fat tire has it's moments; Someone told me it's a lot better on draft rather than bottle. The Ranger IPA isn't bad either way; I think I have one bottle of that left in the fridge.

My insider tells me that New Belgium's Citradelic Tangerine IPA is great, and the Rampant double IPA is quite good also.

Coming your way tomorrow in NY state!

It's been some serious partying around here this week; on Tuesday (as mentioned above) I got out of work late enough that my wife and kid were in bed so Victory for me. Then, my wife's parents have been in town this weekend so I've been out with MrsPie three nights in a row; Friday to "The Whip Tavern" for beef on weck and beer, Saturday to Victory (in Parkesburg), and tonight to Station taproom. I feel like I'm 37 again!

haha I drank that when I was up there. Not bad. Had some good pints at the Brewhouse in Whistler, too, which had the most beautiful server I've ever met. My friend and I often talk of the legend of Gary and the poutine and beer he brought us... Sorry d4rk. 

I predict that by 6/1 everyone will realize just how much Fat Tire sucks as a beer.  Kind of like when Shiner Bock arrived.  The world was aflutter... and then... "meh".

Had Sam Adams Nitro Series White Ale... like a freakin' coriander orange milkshake.  HOOOOOLY COW.  I want to nitro a witbier soon.

Fat Tire is a flagship beer for them and all that, but yeah it's way down the list of what you should be trying from NB.

• Ranger is a solid IPA.
  • Shift is a solid session/lawnmower pale lager with some flavor
  • Slow Ride is one of the best session IPA's out there
  • Hopefully they'll bring them back but the fall seasonals Hoptober/Red Hoptober were just awesome.  It's disappointing they've gone with the dime a dozen pumpkin beer for their fall seasonal as of late.
  • and of course La Folie is a must if you're a fan of sours.

• Slow Ride is one of the best session IPA's out there

I used to be on the fence about this - a live and let live attitude, if you will - but I'm taking a stand: I want this "style" to disappear. (Yes, literally disappear, PA.) If I want an IPA, I'll get an IPA. If I want something like an IPA but with a lower ABV, I'll order a pale ale.

In fact, pales are back to being my #2 preferred style - right behind browns. 

I used to be on the fence about this - a live and let live attitude, if you will - but I'm taking a stand: I want this "style" to disappear. (Yes, literally disappear, PA.) If I want an IPA, I'll get an IPA. If I want something like an IPA but with a lower ABV, I'll order a pale ale.

In fact, pales are back to being my #2 preferred style - right behind browns. 

But what if you want IPA level hops at a 4.5% abv?  Call it a low gravity IPA or an unbalanced pale ale.  You're right it's an invented style, but I think it has it's place under the banner of just good beer if done right. 

That is fair.

I've tried several best in class session IPAs -- I just don't care for them.

But, to each their own. (I guess.)

One thing is for sure, this fad won't go away easily.  Breweries are loving the fact that these beers are so popular and they can brew them with a light, low cost grain bill and still charge the same price as a full on IPA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.