The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Jack's Abby.  Find them, love them.  The only beer I've had of theirs that I did not think was perfectly executed was the collaboration they did with Evil Twin.  They only make lagers.  They are awesome.  Smoke & Dagger is incredible. Jabbybrau will take you back in a good way.  Honestly, love their beers.

Where can this collection of delicious be found?

Your ability to obscure your living area will likewise result in the location of beers remaining obscure.  You said you are not in Buffalo or Rochester.  So you could be all over the place.  You want me to suggest a bottle shop in Auburn if you live in Chautauqua?

How about one in Newfane if you live in Franklinville?

So... that's the best I got.  Find your favorite craft beer store.  If they don't have Jack's Abby tell them they should get some or buy it when you go to Rochester or Buffalo.

Anyone on Untappd?  It's social media for beer, but will also let you know what beers are in your vicinity.

I'm lapsed. I did it for awhile, and then lost track of it. My wife quit when she got the 100 distinct beers badge. I forget what my username is, but I bet it's something like mattpie.

Edited by MattPie

Your ability to obscure your living area will likewise result in the location of beers remaining obscure.  You said you are not in Buffalo or Rochester.  So you could be all over the place.  You want me to suggest a bottle shop in Auburn if you live in Chautauqua?

How about one in Newfane if you live in Franklinville?

So... that's the best I got.  Find your favorite craft beer store.  If they don't have Jack's Abby tell them they should get some or buy it when you go to Rochester or Buffalo.

I was perfectly OK with you mentioning shops in Rochester.  That's why I mentioned that I do get to Rochester from time to time.  I could have been more clear I guess.

Jack's Abby is in most beer stores in Rochester.  I assume also in Buffalo.

I went to their brewery in Framinham, MA two years ago.  I'm surprised to hear it mentioned here as it seemed like they were getting things started at that point.  That visit was a part of a day long bachelor party run from brewery to brewery (groom home brews), so it was a bit tough to remember each place, but they definitely did stick out though.  I think that was the place where I really started to appreciate smoked beers.  They had a seasonal one at that point that actually smelled like a christmas ham.  It was a huge hit with me.

I was perfectly OK with you mentioning shops in Rochester.  That's why I mentioned that I do get to Rochester from time to time.  I could have been more clear I guess.

Sorry.  AJ's Beer Warehouse is where I would recommend going.  I am sure Premier Gourmet in Buffalo has it.  It's not really rare.

I went to their brewery in Framinham, MA two years ago.  I'm surprised to hear it mentioned here as it seemed like they were getting things started at that point.  That visit was a part of a day long bachelor party run from brewery to brewery (groom home brews), so it was a bit tough to remember each place, but they definitely did stick out though.  I think that was the place where I really started to appreciate smoked beers.  They had a seasonal one at that point that actually smelled like a christmas ham.  It was a huge hit with me.

I had a collaboration brew they did with Otter Creek this past weekend.  It was kind of like smoked IPL.  Joint Compound or something or other?  It was incredible.

The smell of wort. You home brewers know. I'm on the rail station rebuild/expansion project all summer so I've been a couple blocks from the genesee brewery. I could close my eyes when the breeze is from the right direction and swear that I am in heaven. I open my eyes and realize that I am under a bridge on St. Paul. We are doing another sweep for needles and heroin baggies. That 10 o clock regular shuffles by crumbing. It's not heaven, man. The wort is soooo sweet though. I love beer. I feel badly for that dude that's out crumbing. We go the brew house for a few. What a place. Twelve horse ale on tap. Tap only. Great place. Great brewery.

The smell of wort. You home brewers know. I'm on the rail station rebuild/expansion project all summer so I've been a couple blocks from the genesee brewery. I could close my eyes when the breeze is from the right direction and swear that I am in heaven. I open my eyes and realize that I am under a bridge on St. Paul. We are doing another sweep for needles and heroin baggies. That 10 o clock regular shuffles by crumbing. It's not heaven, man. The wort is soooo sweet though. I love beer. I feel badly for that dude that's out crumbing. We go the brew house for a few. What a place. Twelve horse ale on tap. Tap only. Great place. Great brewery.

I do love some of the pilot stuff I have had.  As for the other stuff?  Not my thing. But the smell of wort?  Hello!

For those of you who can't find OV or don't know what it is, just ask the bartender at your local Rite Aid. They'll show you where the good stuff is.

OV doesn't give me the runs, but it's also not a very remarkable beer.  I could see splitting half OV with one half of a good beer bottle to save money.  Other than that, I don't have much use for it.

I guess I could call some craft beers I've had swill, or, at least, refer to them as "craft beers".  Speaking of, I finally had some Otter Creek recently.  Not that I would call it swill, but it didn't really leave me wanting to buy more.

This is the thread that keeps on giving...I didn't know about Gordon Biersch, that they make a good lager, and that there's one down the highway.  I love lagers.  I used to take swigs of my grandmother's beer, and that's what she drank.  Anyway, fast forward to sometime in the past decade, I had Great Lake's Dortmunder Gold.  I have yet to find a better lager, but, to be honest, I've been caught up in IPAs.

There are a lot of very bad "craft beers" out there.  Craft does not mean good.  Not by any means.

Jack's Abby makes an IPL you might find tasty.  There are others who make IPLs as well, but I'm going to keep being a JA fanboy!  Look for Hoponius Union. 

IPL = India Pale Lager

I managed to cross paths with Claude Verret at Southern Tier Brewing yesterday. Despite his insistance that Southwrn Tier is an elite brewery, he came across as a knowledgeable beer guy and and a hella good dude too.

Cheers, Claude! Had a good time meeting you and the family. Wish we had more timw to chat.

Has a couple of Guinness' during lunch today. Still just a great beer. Very disappointed that my post work bar decided not to carry it anymore.

Guinness is nice. It's not worth all the hype, but it's a nice beer and I enjoy it. 

I can also drink more Guinness at one time than any other beer. It's been recorded in history. 

Guinness is nice. It's not worth all the hype, but it's a nice beer and I enjoy it.

I can also drink more Guinness at one time than any other beer. It's been recorded in history.

It's pretty much light beer so...

Was that a planned meet up or by chance?

In any event.. COOL.

Chance vacation overlap. But the brewery meet up was pseudo planned.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.