The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Victory Headwaters APA. Give it a try, it's great stuff. If I could clone this beer, and I will attempt to, it would be on tap in my kegarator always.

It is good....I've been getting the Victory variety pack. Start with a golden Monkey, go to Hop Devil....then they have the Pils and Headwaters to wash down the buzz. It's $19 for 3 of each....but worth it.

• 3 months later...

Damn. Last post in this thread in September? Time to revive it.

Gameday quaff today is Ommegang Duvel Rustica, a collaberation between two breweries with common corporate ownership but on two different continents.

Sweet malt and light fruit on the nose. Initial taste is bright and crisp, reminescent of green apples and pears. A touch sweet with hints of honey but it is balanced by a mild hop bitterness. Grainy and classic Duvel bubblegum on the finish.

Real nice beer.

Damn. Last post in this thread in September? Time to revive it.

Gameday quaff today is Ommegang Duvel Rustica, a collaberation between two breweries with common corporate ownership but on two different continents.

Sweet malt and light fruit on the nose. Initial taste is bright and crisp, reminescent of green apples and pears. A touch sweet with hints of honey but it is balanced by a mild hop bitterness. Grainy and classic Duvel bubblegum on the finish.

Real nice beer.

Nice. Given that its 60 and sunny in NC and I'm watching outside, I'm slumming it with PBR drafts.

Ommegang is not bad, from one of the larger breweries in belgium.

But try and get your hands on Duvel the beer its trying to be, but failing at.

Ommegang is brewed in Cooperstown, NY, not Belgium.

And Ommegang and Duvel are both owned by the same company. It is widely specualted that both breweries use the same yeast strains to make their beers.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Karl Strauss out west. Red Trolley Ale was a fav. Wreck Alley Stout was very good. BIg Barrell 2xIPA was good but had a metallic aftertaste and kicked my butt a bit.

Has anyone tried Newcastle Winter IPA? was tempted to try it but opted for DFH 60min for the Superbowl.

Visited Karl Strauss out west. Red Trolley Ale was a fav. Wreck Alley Stout was very good. BIg Barrell 2xIPA was good but had a metallic aftertaste and kicked my butt a bit.

Has anyone tried Newcastle Winter IPA? was tempted to try it but opted for DFH 60min for the Superbowl.

I've tried Newcastle's IPA. it is ...... different. Not an IPA in the American sense. Not a bad beer.

DOWNINGTOWN PA - Victory Brewing Company has thrown down the gauntlet to Genesee, with a new beer called "100 Horse Ale".

I would imagine a cease and desist letter will be forthcoming.

Belgium Triple - La Fin Du Monde

My bartender said I should try it and I gotta say it is really good.

Moo Hoo - MIlk Chocolate Stout

Made my the local brewery (Terrapin) I really love this bear and it is a much better draft than bottle but it isn't overally milky or chocolaty, it still tastes like beer.

Made my the local brewery (Terrapin) I really love this bear and it is a much better draft than bottle but it isn't overally milky or chocolaty, it still tastes like beer.

I've never tried it. Though I do love their Hopsecutioner.

Belgium Triple - La Fin Du Monde

My bartender said I should try it and I gotta say it is really good.

If you ever get a chance to pop the cork on a bottle of Unibroue "Terrible", do it. Unibroue makes some great winter beers beyond La Fin du Monde.

I've been drinking homebrew almost exclusively. For the holidays, I made two porter variations - one with vanilla and the other with Sailor Jerry rum. I dubbed the latter "Porter Rican". The vanilla porter is amazing. Porter Rican has great flavor but a weak head due to the alcohol boost.

Up next is a brown ale, to be bottled tomorrow, with an oatmeal stout to be brewed right on top of the brown ale's yeast cake. That should take me through the winter, and then I'll start tinkering with some lighter stuff. I'm thinking ESB. I don't buy a lot of micros anymore because they are soooo expensive and I make pretty decent facsimiles of them at home.

Gotta say, though, when I'm in the mood for a session beer I'm with the OP: Genny Cream Ale all the way! There's absolutely nothing smoother in that price range. I love that Rochester mass-produces a beer that is genuinely unique and still dirt cheap. I also discovered Ballantine Ale recently, which packs a pretty distinctive flavor for a nice price.

I don't get all the hype about Yuengling. I think people just want something different. My stepmother tells me that back in the day, people used to go crazy over Coors because it was this exotic beer you could only get out west. Yet, Coors is among the worst tasting beers ever made. It's one of the only beers I will refuse if offered to me. The other is Keystone, which is made by Coors.

Anybody else here brew their own?

Edited by Skibum

I've been drinking homebrew almost exclusively. For the holidays, I made two porter variations - one with vanilla and the other with Sailor Jerry rum. I dubbed the latter "Porter Rican". The vanilla porter is amazing. Porter Rican has great flavor but a weak head due to the alcohol boost.

Up next is a brown ale, to be bottled tomorrow, with an oatmeal stout to be brewed right on top of the brown ale's yeast cake. That should take me through the winter, and then I'll start tinkering with some lighter stuff. I'm thinking ESB. I don't buy a lot of micros anymore because they are soooo expensive and I make pretty decent facsimiles of them at home.

Gotta say, though, when I'm in the mood for a session beer I'm with the OP: Genny Cream Ale all the way! There's absolutely nothing smoother in that price range. I love that Rochester mass-produces a beer that is genuinely unique and still dirt cheap. I also discovered Ballantine Ale recently, which packs a pretty distinctive flavor for a nice price.

I don't get all the hype about Yuengling. I think people just want something different. My stepmother tells me that back in the day, people used to go crazy over Coors because it was this exotic beer you could only get out west. Yet, Coors is among the worst tasting beers ever made. It's one of the only beers I will refuse if offered to me. The other is Keystone, which is made by Coors.

Anybody else here brew their own?

There are a few of us homebrewers on this site. I haven't fired up the burner in some time though. I'm way overdue.

Good to see we have another homebrewer around here. I've actually been able to brew a bit over the past few months. I currently have a Citra Pale ale on tap in the kegerator, and 5 gallons of Czech pils lagering that should be ready to tap next month. I also brewed 10 gallons of a dry stout on Saturday while watching the Sabres/Canadiens debacle.

Good to see we have another homebrewer around here. I've actually been able to brew a bit over the past few months. I currently have a Citra Pale ale on tap in the kegerator, and 5 gallons of Czech pils lagering that should be ready to tap next month. I also brewed 10 gallons of a dry stout on Saturday while watching the Sabres/Canadiens debacle.

I haven't tried lagering yet, but I would love to give it a go some time. How do you do the cold fermenting? A friend of mine does small batches with a 2.5 gallon carboy and a mini-fridge set at 52 degrees. I would just as soon get a full-size fridge. I can't stand the thought of small batches!

I haven't tried lagering yet, but I would love to give it a go some time. How do you do the cold fermenting? A friend of mine does small batches with a 2.5 gallon carboy and a mini-fridge set at 52 degrees. I would just as soon get a full-size fridge. I can't stand the thought of small batches!

I don't brew lagers often, but when I do I usually commandeer my wife's wine fridge for the fermentation. For this one I didn't need to though since the temps here in NC were perfect for lager fermentation for the two weeks after I brewed it, it was a pretty steady 48-52 F in my garage for the whole fermentation, then went up to about 68 just when I needed to do the diacetyl rest. I sampled it when I racked it to the keg last week and it tastes awesome.

I've never tried it. Though I do love their Hopsecutioner.

Not a big fan but I don't like very hoppie beers. Its great when the weathers nicer being able to go out to Terrapin and try all their beers like Golden Ale and Liquid Bliss.

If you ever get a chance to pop the cork on a bottle of Unibroue "Terrible", do it. Unibroue makes some great winter beers beyond La Fin du Monde.

I will have to try it, the local bottle shop has a great selection so I shall check with them, thxs! What is the flavor like?

Edited by LGR4GM

Not a big fan but I don't like very hoppie beers. Its great when the weathers nicer being able to go out to Terrapin and try all their beers like Golden Ale and Liquid Bliss.

I will have to try it, the local bottle shop has a great selection so I shall check with them, thxs! What is the flavor like?

I haven't had it in so long I couldn't tell you. I just know it makes me warm on the inside.

Wish I could say that... been far too long since I brewed..

Oh well.. time will come back to me.

I always forget to stop in this thread.. not sure why.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.