The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Sounds like great choices.

Thanks - I tried to pick a variety. The bf started with Orval since they were out of the Saison Dupont, and loved the Westmalle Tripel so much he did a second of those rather than try a third brew.

Edited by biodork

Thanks - I tried to pick a variety. The bf started with Orval since they were out of the Saison Dupont, and loved the Westmalle Tripel so much he did a second of those rather than try a third brew.

Those are 3 greats right there. I am a big fan of saisons. Saison Dupont is delicious stuff.

For those of you in central PA (and there are a few!), there's a great little Belgian restaurant in Carlisle with a ridiculous selection of beers and excellent food: http://www.cafebruges.com/ Had dinner there Sat. night and the bf, who is a huge fan of Belgian brews, was a happy man.

If you're ever down in Philly, check out Eulogy in the old city/society hill neighborhood. Great beer list there too.

http://eulogybar.server101.com/

Also, Beneluxx on South 3rd. Not as Belgian-focused as Eulogy, but some great beers there too.

http://beneluxx.com/

If you're ever down in Philly, check out Eulogy in the old city/society hill neighborhood. Great beer list there too.

http://eulogybar.server101.com/

Also, Beneluxx on South 3rd. Not as Belgian-focused as Eulogy, but some great beers there too.

http://beneluxx.com/

Thanks! I don't get to Philly often, but I'll definitely keep those in mind!

The difference between those two styles can be subtle. Did you use debittered black malt?

Now that you mention it I don't think that I did. I had some carafa II in my grain bin that I used in the grist, but apparently carafa SPECIAL II is the dehusked / debittered variety. I'll have to double check the label when I get home tonight. It's not overwhelmingly roasty, but still with the columbus/cascade hop schedule I used a little roastiness gets in the way a bit.

Just opened a bottle of Ovila Saison. It is a collaboration brew between Sierra Nevada Brewing Company and the Abbey of New Clairvaux, a monestary brewery in Belgium California (boy did I assume wrong). It is light on the palate, very effervescent, has a spicy hint, almost like ginger, and there is a hint of clove and green apple in there too. It has an yeasty, estery, phenolic nose. And a hint of bitterness on the finish. But just a hint. Very well balanced.

Maybe it is my locavore bias but my favorite saison has always been Hennepin by Ommegang. Ovila has a very similar flavor profile. I like this one alot. Every bit as much as Hennepin. Highly recommended.

Edited by weave

not quite the begiums you are discussing, but have been drinking a bit of the new Rye from Sierra. Rouge i think it is called. Do not like it quite as good as the Founders Rye, but the local Kroger has it , and for $15 a twelve, good alue for money as the Euros like to say

I really enjoy a good hoppy rye ale. I don;t see them around too often though. Being Sierra Nevada I am sure that one will be better distributed in my neighborhood. I'll have to give it a try.

I really enjoy a good hoppy rye ale. I don;t see them around too often though. Being Sierra Nevada I am sure that one will be better distributed in my neighborhood. I'll have to give it a try.

my gut is they are pushing it pretty hard right now with intro pricing. I live in Richmond Va, and it is in the grocery stores there, was in San Fran this week and had in the deli there, and in Orlando for the weekend, and the Publix had it really on sale for $12 for a twelve...

not quite the begiums you are discussing, but have been drinking a bit of the new Rye from Sierra. Rouge i think it is called. Do not like it quite as good as the Founders Rye, but the local Kroger has it , and for $15 a twelve, good alue for money as the Euros like to say

Its Ruthless Rye. I picked a sixer up at Food Lion of all places. I was a bit disappointed, it seemed a bit thin on the malt for a rye IPA and lacked some of the expected spiciness of a rye malt beer.

Its Ruthless Rye. I picked a sixer up at Food Lion of all places. I was a bit disappointed, it seemed a bit thin on the malt for a rye IPA and lacked some of the expected spiciness of a rye malt beer.

Agreed on your points..as mentioned like the founders red rye pa much better..but was there really a better choice at the Food Lion? only port in a storm sometimes lol

LOL - a friend of mine just found this gem at a grocery store in Utah:

http://www.wasatchbe...olygporter.html

I'll see your Polygamy Porter and raise you one....

http://www.littleurl.net/61177f

and no I've never tried this style of beer, not that I wouldn't providing it was properly sourced. :thumbsup:

I have tried the Polygamy Porter by the way and it's a darn fine brew.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I'll see your Polygamy Porter and raise you one....

http://www.littleurl.net/61177f

and no I've never tried this style of beer, not that I wouldn't providing it was properly sourced. :thumbsup:

I have tried the Polygamy Porter by the way and it's a darn fine brew.

:-x yuck!

• 3 weeks later...

Going to a fundraiser for my sons' school tonight. They put me in charge of obtaining the beer. I worked with a couple of distributors and came up with a list that should appeal to all. We've got about 750 people expected to attend. We'll have Blue, Blue Light, Bud, and Bud Light for the folks that can't live with beer that has actual flavor. But for the rest of us I lined up a few interesting beers for the draft list, Ithaca Cascazilla, Southern Tier Eurotrash, and a new Shock Top beer- Shock Top White IPA. I've had Saranac's version already and it is rather tasty. The Shock Top IPA is a brand spanking new release that is just making it out to distributors now. If it tastes anything like Saranac's I will be impressed. Think of a cross between a Belgian Wit and a citrucy IPA. Light body, 6% abv, spicy wheat, coriander, orange peel, and citrucy USA hops.

Going to a fundraiser for my sons' school tonight. They put me in charge of obtaining the beer. I worked with a couple of distributors and came up with a list that should appeal to all. We've got about 750 people expected to attend. We'll have Blue, Blue Light, Bud, and Bud Light for the folks that can't live with beer that has actual flavor. But for the rest of us I lined up a few interesting beers for the draft list, Ithaca Cascazilla, Southern Tier Eurotrash, and a new Shock Top beer- Shock Top White IPA. I've had Saranac's version already and it is rather tasty. The Shock Top IPA is a brand spanking new release that is just making it out to distributors now. If it tastes anything like Saranac's I will be impressed. Think of a cross between a Belgian Wit and a citrucy IPA. Light body, 6% abv, spicy wheat, coriander, orange peel, and citrucy USA hops.

Those sound good. I'm interested in how that Southern Tier Czech Pils is, those are usually disappointing from a lot of micros. I have to hand it to Southern Tier though, they are very prolific in putting out so many different styles. The guy I usually brew with has been brewing a wit with american hops for years. He usually uses amarillo hops if I remember correctly, and it's a fantastic beer.

Those sound good. I'm interested in how that Southern Tier Czech Pils is, those are usually disappointing from a lot of micros. I have to hand it to Southern Tier though, they are very prolific in putting out so many different styles. The guy I usually brew with has been brewing a wit with american hops for years. He usually uses amarillo hops if I remember correctly, and it's a fantastic beer.

If you like Sam Adams Noble Pils you'll like Eurotrash. Same concept. Clean and crisp hoppy character. I enjoyed it, but I am a big fan of Noble Pils too.

The Shock Top White IPA suprised me. It is a totally differnet beer than Saranc's version. The Saranac WIPA tastes very much like a hopped up witbeer, Shocktop's version is darker and more hop bitter (but not as bitter as a more traditional IPA). The orange peel and coriander was less evident in Shocktop's version as well.

I picked up a six the other day (at the Consumer Bev on Union near the 400) to try with pizza and wings (from Pasquale's in East Aurora)[0]. It's OK, but I was disappointed. I was hoping for something with a bit more hops, more like Sly Fox's Pikeland Pils or Victory's Prima Pils. I think I'm just not a fan of traditional pilsner styles. I still have a few in the fridge, I'll have to give it a second taste.

[0] We expats get all excited when we can get the real deal. :)

Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.