The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Well this could have just as easily gone in the Awesome or What are you eating/drinking threads but here is probably best. I went to a New Belgium beer pairing dinner last night at a local high end mexican restaurant. It was a five course meal and it was awesome...

Tortilla soup with Fat Tire

salad with Shift lager

braised pork belly with Ranger IPA. This was absolutely fantastic.

hickory smoked filet with 1554 belgian black ale. I'm a big smoked meat fan, but this was almost too much smoke for me even.

churros with Abbey ale.

I know New Belgium isn't in NY yet, but I asked the rep if and when they plan to expand distribution there. They are building a new brewery in Asheville scheduled to open in 2015, so after that it's likely they will be able to expand to other states, NY included. In the meantime, if you find yourself travelling to a state that carries New Belgium beers, do yourself a favor and try one. The Ranger IPA and Shift pale lager are my faves.

I must say I do like the Shift as a nice session beer, good flavor, only 5 % ABV, and it comes in cans which I really like. Only problem is all 16 oz cans, prefer the 12 oz.

Great you enjoyed the dinner, and BTW, too much smoke can and does ruin plenty of meats.

Is the Abbey the Trippel?

I know New Belgium isn't in NY yet, but I asked the rep if and when they plan to expand distribution there. They are building a new brewery in Asheville scheduled to open in 2015, so after that it's likely they will be able to expand to other states, NY included. In the meantime, if you find yourself travelling to a state that carries New Belgium beers, do yourself a favor and try one. The Ranger IPA and Shift pale lager are my faves.

Seconded, the Ranger is really good. Seems like I've seen the Ranger at the local (SE PA) Wegmans, but I might be mixing it up. It's in Virginia for sure.

I must say I do like the Shift as a nice session beer, good flavor, only 5 % ABV, and it comes in cans which I really like. Only problem is all 16 oz cans, prefer the 12 oz.

Great you enjoyed the dinner, and BTW, too much smoke can and does ruin plenty of meats.

Is the Abbey the Trippel?

No, Abbey is the dubbel.

Seconded, the Ranger is really good. Seems like I've seen the Ranger at the local (SE PA) Wegmans, but I might be mixing it up. It's in Virginia for sure.

It looks like New Belgium isn't anywhere in the NE yet. Virginia is the farthest north for the east coast.

BTW, Sierra Nevada east coast brewery also in Ashville. Great beer town, great town in general.

Yep, and the Oskar Blues new brewery is in Brevard, NC not too far from Asheville. It's amazing the craft beer revolution that has taken place in this state considering that when I moved here in 2002 you couldn't buy beer above 6.0% abv.

Yep, and the Oskar Blues new brewery is in Brevard, NC not too far from Asheville. It's amazing the craft beer revolution that has taken place in this state considering that when I moved here in 2002 you couldn't buy beer above 6.0% abv.

I did not know that..like their beers, all in CANS!

Local beer bar tonight, belly full of IPA... Some key tasting notes...

Engine 15 Battle Axe IPA - Hoppy, Sweet on the tongue but equally bold finish. A great balance.

Bold City Chinook IPA - flat on back end. Not impressed.

Sweet Water 420 - an old friend, mild but smooth.

Any Rochester Fans have any suggestions about Rohrbach's, I saw it in Wegmans and wanted to give it a try.

I would disagree with d4rksabre. I think Rohrbach's beers have gone downhill over the pat 4-5 years. Right now most of their beers show signs of flaws in the brewing process and a willingness to use inferior ingredients. There used to be a time when I thought Rohrbach;s beers were some of the best in Rochester but that day has sadly gone by the wayside for me.

But, to each their own. It's worth trying if nothing else. You can always visit the brewery (just outside the public market) or the restaurant/brewpub to get a sampler and test more of them out.

Bold City Chinook IPA - flat on back end. Not impressed.

Yeah, had that at brunch the other day. OK, but not spectacular. Bought a 6-pack of 21st Amendment Saison cans. I like it, but I've been drinking it while doing other things so I haven't put too much thought into it.

Sadly, I think I have to go on a beer hiatus for the next couple weeks unless someone knows some good Thai beer.

Yeah, had that at brunch the other day. OK, but not spectacular. Bought a 6-pack of 21st Amendment Saison cans. I like it, but I've been drinking it while doing other things so I haven't put too much thought into it.

Sadly, I think I have to go on a beer hiatus for the next couple weeks unless someone knows some good Thai beer.

I know nothing about Thai beer but it sounds like there are choices:

http://gothailand.about.com/od/wheretoeatdrink/tp/thaibeer.htm

Had.a Bells Smitten on draft on Saturday, did not love it. Maybe okay on the porch in the summer, but not on a cold March night.

http://bellsbeer.com/blog/158-New_Bell___s_seasonal__Smitten_Golden_Rye_Ale__debuts_in_February

Looking for that link, saw Bells adding a canning line for Oberon and Two Hearted..won't be live till next spring, but Oberon on a boat or next to the pool sounds just about perfect!

• 3 weeks later...

You know what beer does not get enough respect? The Flower Power...I love that freakin beer. We cannot get in VA, but was in Hershey Wed evening and place had it on tap.

I've never had that, but I see that it's highly rated on beer advocate with a 95/100. I've had Ithaca's Cascazilla before and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll ask my brother to bring me down some Flower Power for his next visit.

You know what beer does not get enough respect? The Flower Power...I love that freakin beer. We cannot get in VA, but was in Hershey Wed evening and place had it on tap.

I've never had that, but I see that it's highly rated on beer advocate with a 95/100. I've had Ithaca's Cascazilla before and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll ask my brother to bring me down some Flower Power for his next visit.

Flower Power won gold at the GABF some years back. I'd call that respect. it is a world class beer.

Community Beer Works out of Buffalo recently came in second at NIPAC, which is apparently a national IPA competition thingy. They beat big guys like Bear Republic and Founders, too. Cool to see a local, and new, brewery do so well.

Also, Flower Power is awesome, just had one on Tuesday for the first time in quite a while. Forgot how good it was.

Edited by sabills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.