The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

So as a member of a wedding party for member sabills and his new wife this past weekend, I was given some very tasty big bottle beers and a monogrammed mug. Nice!

Last night I had the Smuttynose Humonculus, a very nice Belgian Golden Ale. Cloudy as could be, lots of sediment. And delicious. The way it should be.

Tonight, Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout.

Edited by d4rksabre

So as a member of a wedding party for member sabills and his new wife this past weekend, I was given some very tasty big bottle beers and a monogrammed mug. Nice!

Last night I had the Smuttynose Humonculus, a very nice Belgian Golden Ale. Cloudy as could be, lots of sediment. And delicious. The way it should be.

Tonight, Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout.

Cool gift. Beats a pewter mug that will never get used.

Make sure u rinse those out dude. Fruit flies.

We're only keeping the cardboard on the wall, we're keeping individual bottles of craft beers and such in another spot in the living room along with our fancy looking liquor bottles on the fireplace. Every bottle we have has been thoroughly rinsed and has a cap

So our pal Mitt wants to cut funding to PBS. Nice.

--Government spending he would cut: “[F]irst there are programs I would eliminate. Obamacare being one of them but also various subsidy programs -- the Amtrak subsidy, the PBS subsidy, the subsidy for the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities. Some of these things, like those endowment efforts and PBS I very much appreciate and like what they do in many cases, but I just think they have to standon their own rather than receiving money borrowed from other countries, as our government does on their behalf. …"

For the first time in a long time, I'm perilously close to being out of beer. My girlfriend drank the last Yards Tavern Spruce Monday night, so all I have left is a 750ml bottle of Victory Otto Ale (smoked Belgian dubbel). I'm kinda saving that one for a special occaision.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/74055

Anyone else had this years' rendition of Southern Tier Harvest yet?

I swooned at the hop aroma. Delicious stuff as usual.

I picked up a six pack at the Wegman's in Fredricksburg, VA on the way back from DC this past weekend. I haven't tried it yet, but I was surprised to see it called an ESB with the described grapefruit hop flavor and aroma. Then again Southern Tier never brews it's beers exactly to style.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Drove in to Henrietta to spend some quality Sunday time at McGregors. Drinking a Founders red rye IPA. This one gets all kinds of great press but I'm not that impressed. Its a little thin and has too sweet a finish for an IPA. It does have that nice rye spiciness that goes so well with hops.

The Spaten Oktoberfest is everything a fest beer should be though.

Since the lady friend's birthday is today and she's a Newcastle fan, I picked up their newest special edition, Newcastle Werewolf. It's a "Blood Red Ale" thanks to the type of malt they use.

It's outstanding. Pours a dark red, thick head that you can build as high as you want, with a good lacing. Go buy a 6 (or a 12 or 24!).

Since the lady friend's birthday is today and she's a Newcastle fan, I picked up their newest special edition, Newcastle Werewolf. It's a "Blood Red Ale" thanks to the type of malt they use.

It's outstanding. Pours a dark red, thick head that you can build as high as you want, with a good lacing. Go buy a 6 (or a 12 or 24!).

Never heard of it. I'll keep an eye out.

Speaking of beer..... lots of beer-y things to do over the next few weeks. Tomorrow is the beer festival at the Bisons' stadium. And the Celtic festival at Olcott. And this weekand and next weekend is Oktoberfest at Eastman Park in Irondequoit. We hit that one every year. And the last Saturday in September is a small Oktoberfest beer festival at Batavia Downs. It's not big but you def get your moneys worth. It is a good time for sure. Oompah band, German food, and a decent, but not great selection of beers. We usually get out to that one.

Edited by weave

Never heard of it. I'll keep an eye out.

Speaking of beer..... lots of beer-y things to do over the next few weeks. Tomorrow is the beer festival at the Bisons' stadium. And the Celtic festival at Olcott. And this weekand and next weekend is Oktoberfest at Eastman Park in Irondequoit. We hit that one every year. And the last Saturday in September is a small Oktoberfest beer festival at Batavia Downs. It's not big but you def get your moneys worth. It is a good time for sure. Oompah band, German food, and a decent, but not great selection of beers. We usually get out to that one.

I might have to hit that Oktoberfest in Irondequoit...

Why do some people love Yuengling so much? Because it's great beer at a cheap price.

I went through my craft beer snob phase, trying one expensive beer after another. Then I realized that the beers Yuengling makes are as good, or at least close, to over-priced craft beers, at a Pabst Blue Ribbon price.

Like IPA? Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale is terrific and costs $18 a case. Black and Tan? $20 a case. Yuengling Light Lager actually has flavor and is just 99 calories. Bud and Miller lights are 125.

Being in New England means I have to import my Yuengling when I visit Buffalo or my in-laws in Maryland. But it's worth it. I feel bad for the guy who runs the craft beer store in my town, where I used to drop what a case of Yuengling costs for just one 4-pack of craft beer. I feel even worse for the dude who opened his own brewery at the end of my street (really) but charges $14 for one 22oz bottle of his creation. It's good but not worth that kind of money.

PTR

Why do some people love Yuengling so much? Because it's great beer at a cheap price.

I went through my craft beer snob phase, trying one expensive beer after another. Then I realized that the beers Yuengling makes are as good, or at least close, to over-priced craft beers, at a Pabst Blue Ribbon price.

Like IPA? Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale is terrific and costs $18 a case. Black and Tan? $20 a case. Yuengling Light Lager actually has flavor and is just 99 calories. Bud and Miller lights are 125.

For some reason I haven't tried the Chesterfield, I'll have to. In any case, the primary reason I don't drink Yuenling is it's almost all bottom-fermenting yeast based and I prefer the taste of top-fermenting (ales). Plus, if I have more than three lagers over the course of an evening (no matter if that's in 2 hours or 5), I wake up a vicious headache the next day. Sam Adams Boston Lager does the same thing, I think I see a pattern there.

I just saw the other day that Yuenling is now the largest American-owned brewery, just passing Boston Beer Co. (Sam Adams). Although that apparently happened in January, I'm just behind.

Not much of a fan of Yeungling. I'll drink it over the Buds, Coors, Millers, Labatts of the world but that's about it.

As for Chesterfield, you shouldn't be comparing it to an IPA. They are not in the same ballpark. IPA's are much drier, hoppier, and higher in alcohol. Chesterfield is closer to a pre-prohibition American ale or maybe a typical British pale ale. It doesn't have the hop character to compare with American pales, let alone IPA's. I'd put it closer to Genesee 12 Horse ale than any IPA.

Not much of a fan of Yeungling. I'll drink it over the Buds, Coors, Millers, Labatts of the world but that's about it.

As for Chesterfield, you shouldn't be comparing it to an IPA. They are not in the same ballpark. IPA's are much drier, hoppier, and higher in alcohol. Chesterfield is closer to a pre-prohibition American ale or maybe a typical British pale ale. It doesn't have the hop character to compare with American pales, let alone IPA's. I'd put it closer to Genesee 12 Horse ale than any IPA.

Mmmm 12 Horse

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.