The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1:45 Hops Club at work.

Last week it was Blue Point Toasted Lager and India Pale Ale - Goose Island.

Both were great, but I had a weird allergic reaction to the Goose Island. I saw what looked like Christmas lights twinkling in my eyes for about an hour afterward and couldn't see all that well.

:blink:

I can't imagine what would've been in the IPA ingedient-wise that would be much different than in the lager. As far as I know, both of those beers are just malted barley, hops, yeast and water. Different strains of hops and yeast probably but that would be like being allergic to pinot noir and not chardonnay. That's a pretty strange reaction.

I can't imagine what would've been in the IPA ingedient-wise that would be much different than in the lager. As far as I know, both of those beers are just malted barley, hops, yeast and water. Different strains of hops and yeast probably but that would be like being allergic to pinot noir and not chardonnay. That's a pretty strange reaction.

Just found this.

http://allergytreatmentsandsymptoms.com/alcoholallergy.html

Pretty interesting. I've known that I was allergic to alcohol and every so often I get "Beer Disease". I usually just drink through it. This was different, though, and I was at work so I couldn't just drink through it,.. stupid work.

Just found this.

http://allergytreatm...holallergy.html

Pretty interesting. I've known that I was allergic to alcohol and every so often I get "Beer Disease". I usually just drink through it. This was different, though, and I was at work so I couldn't just drink through it,.. stupid work.

Interesting stuff. I know there's a genetic variant in the gene they mention (the one that produces the ALDH enzyme) that is really common among Asian populations. A friend at work who is Chinese will literally get red-faced and feel drunk after only a few sips of alcohol. He's a cheap date, lol.

Edit: and drinking at work? Tsk, tsk, hehe.

Edited by biodork

1:45 Hops Club at work.

Last week it was Blue Point Toasted Lager and India Pale Ale - Goose Island.

Both were great, but I had a weird allergic reaction to the Goose Island. I saw what looked like Christmas lights twinkling in my eyes for about an hour afterward and couldn't see all that well.

Just found this.

interesting stuff, but i am troubled to hear you talk about the allergy.

but it sounds like the reaction you had to that IPA was different from the "beer disease" that you generally associate with alcohol. (i'm not sure what the symptoms of your beer disease are -- do you get all stuffy in the nose and such?) i dunno.

have you been tested for an allergy to ethyl alcohol?

i will add this: i've heard multiple anecdotal stories about how IPA's affect people in weird ways. i was at a brewpub with a buddy of mine (a true hop head) last year and, after he finished a single pint of a ~8% IPA (his first drink), he had a splitting headache. just debilitating. he said that this had started happening to him when he turned 40, but only with IPAs. i told him to get tested for an allergy to hops. but even in the absence of a true "allergy", there can be "intolerances" -- e.g., kids who get sick to their stomach if they have something that is heavy in red food dye 40 don't have an allergy to the dye per se, but an intolerance.

good luck.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Just found this.

Still kind of odd as the IPA is only a little more alcoholic htan that lager. Lagers are almost always filtered and that IPA may not be. Also, lagers sit in conditioning longer and more of the yeast tends to drop out than in ales. Could very well be the yeast I suppose.

As for that allergy, I prescribe sensitivity training. At least twice per week you need to go to a pub and take two beers. Call me for a stronger perscription in two weeks.

Interesting stuff. I know there's a genetic variant in the gene they mention (the one that produces the ALDH enzyme) that is really common among Asian populations. A friend at work who is Chinese will literally get red-faced and feel drunk after only a few sips of alcohol. He's a cheap date, lol.

Edit: and drinking at work? Tsk, tsk, hehe.

Jealous?

interesting stuff, but i am troubled to hear you talk about the allergy.

but it sounds like the reaction you had to that IPA was different from the "beer disease" that you generally associate with alcohol. (i'm not sure what the symptoms of your beer disease are -- do you get all stuffy in the nose and such?) i dunno.

have you been tested for an allergy to ethyl alcohol?

i will add this: i've heard multiple anecdotal stories about how IPA's affect people in weird ways. i was at a brewpub with a buddy of mine (a true hop head) last year and, after he finished a single pint of a ~8% IPA (his first drink), he had a splitting headache. just debilitating. he said that this had started happening to him when he turned 40, but only with IPAs. i told him to get tested for an allergy to hops. but even in the absence of a true "allergy", there can be "intolerances" -- e.g., kids who get sick to their stomach if they have something that is heavy in red food dye 40 don't have an allergy to the dye per se, but an intolerance.

good luck.

Still kind of odd as the IPA is only a little more alcoholic htan that lager. Lagers are almost always filtered and that IPA may not be. Also, lagers sit in conditioning longer and more of the yeast tends to drop out than in ales. Could very well be the yeast I suppose.

As for that allergy, I prescribe sensitivity training. At least twice per week you need to go to a pub and take two beers. Call me for a stronger perscription in two weeks.

I just got back from The Club. Today's installments were

Cricket Hill - Hopnotic IPA http://crickethillbr...cket-hill-ipa-0. Good but I'm not an IPA fan.

Sam Adams - Alpine Spring. Light, but very good. It would probably go great after mowing the lawn.

Kona - Longboard. A meaty lager but not too heavy. My favorite of the three.

As to the Allergy, it happens with any kind of alcohol, not just beer. I think it has to do with what I've eaten that day. It usually is just hives. It looks like a red raccoon mask and gets really hot. The Flashing lights was new though, but the IPA had some kinda spice/clovey flavor and I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

My kegs are running low so I may have to make a run to the store and see what sort of tasty suds they have on hand. Maybe some Stone Ruiniation or Victory Prima PIls as was mentioned.

Another beer I like that is along the same lines as Eurotrash is Sierra Nevada Summerfest.

As to the Allergy, it happens with any kind of alcohol, not just beer. I think it has to do with what I've eaten that day. It usually is just hives. It looks like a red raccoon mask and gets really hot. The Flashing lights was new though, but the IPA had some kinda spice/clovey flavor and I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

thanks for sharing (seriously (i know that is sometimes a snarky thing to say (as i know from my very own 13 and 11 year-old kids))).

but have you been tested for an allergy to ethyl alcohol? i have a friend who gets a bumpy/reddish mask on her face whenever he drinks (and oh, how he hates it), but he wound up referred not to an allergist, but to a dermatologist (who gave him a version of the old saw: patient: "hey doc, it hurts when i go like this." doc: "well, don't do that, then.")

(go sabres.)

Seems early, but starting to think of the summer beers now. Picked up my first 6 of Bells Oberon and had a few on the back porch this weekend. But the one I really like is the Hop Sun from Southern Tier. Website says that is out in March..so should be at the Total Wine in the next week or so.

Seems early, but starting to think of the summer beers now. Picked up my first 6 of Bells Oberon and had a few on the back porch this weekend. But the one I really like is the Hop Sun from Southern Tier. Website says that is out in March..so should be at the Total Wine in the next week or so.

I had Hop Sun fresh on tap last weekend. It might be out by you already.

Hop Sun, Noble Pils, and Eurotrash figure to be my Summer beers. I'm sure I'll work Prima Pils and Pikeland Pils into the rotation as well. Until I discover something new of course. :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.