The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I had Hop Sun fresh on tap last weekend. It might be out by you already. Hop Sun, Noble Pils, and Eurotrash figure to be my Summer beers. I'm sure I'll work Prima Pils and Pikeland Pils into the rotation as well. Until I discover something new of course. :P

I thought I remembered getting an email from SA a few months back stating that Noble Pils will now be a year round offering. I havent seen it down here on the shelves yet though. I love that beer, it's the best in the SA lineup IMO.

everything you say about the stuff is true. i spent a fair amount of time in germany and austria back in the day, and that straub is right on par with that amazingly clean and delightful taste you can get at a good austrio/germanic beer hall (the sort of place where you pick up your litre vessel, dunk it in a tank of lightly chlorinated (?) water, and hand it to the spigot meister to fill).

i've downed double digits of straub bottles on several occasions (most recently in 2009), and i think there is something to the myth.

I grew up on Straub I lived about 20 miles from the brewery. Still visit the eternal tap every spring.

• 2 weeks later...

With the weather being even more unseasonably warm, this weeks installments of the 1:45 Hops club were both light, springtime brews.

Magic Hat Vinyl

and

Shiner Dortmunder

Both were good and light. Unfortunately, I had just eaten a bunch of pieces of a 48lb life size chocolate Stanley Cup (which was surprisingly excellent), so I couldn't say for sure how they really taste.

Edited by SwampD

for those in the area (buffalo, that is), the fellas at community beer works (love that name) are just about ready to sell their beer (april 20 at coles and goodbar). the first, the flagship is a pale ale that they have dubbed "frank." which i think is funny.

anyway, here's a twitpic of the brewers' sampling of frank:

https://twitter.com/#!/communitybeer/status/190636281921929216

AqVGsDmCAAAGuwt.jpg

for those in the area (buffalo, that is), the fellas at community beer works (love that name) are just about ready to sell their beer (april 20 at coles and goodbar). the first, the flagship is a pale ale that they have dubbed "frank." which i think is funny.

anyway, here's a twitpic of the brewers' sampling of frank:

https://twitter.com/...636281921929216

I am friends with a guy who knows one of the partners at that brewery. I'll have to look for their beers when I am in Buffalo. Always look forward to new beer offerings.

Enjoying playoff hockey, popcorn, and Newcastle Summer Ale with the gf tonight. Also got a twelve of OV in the fridge. Because, yes.

so much win.

I am friends with a guy who knows one of the partners at that brewery. I'll have to look for their beers when I am in Buffalo. Always look forward to new beer offerings.

they're a good bunch. i think most (all?) of them also have day jobs. i threw more money than i reasonably should have at their kickstarter campaign. it felt right.

You know, i cannot remember if 12 oz OV comes in a clear bottle or not? I think just the splits were clear right?

OV bottles are brown; the splits were (are?) clear (as are corona splits, fwiw). i have happy, happy memories (albeit hazy) of bucket night at the library on bailey -- a whole mess of OV splits in a bucket of bar ice for some ridiculously low price.

I had Hop Sun fresh on tap last weekend. It might be out by you already.

Hop Sun, Noble Pils, and Eurotrash figure to be my Summer beers. I'm sure I'll work Prima Pils and Pikeland Pils into the rotation as well. Until I discover something new of course. :P

Same here. Look for Sierra Nevada Summerfest to throw in the mix as well. Good stuff.

stopped at Cornerstone brewery today in Madison, OH and had their Pils and a Buffalo chicken Pizza. Not too shabby.

• 2 weeks later...

Had business to tend to in East Aurora this past weekend. Stopped into Tantalus for lunch. Was there once before a couple years ago. It's a rather upscale looking place with an eclectic menu, a huge wine list, terrific flatbreads, and a rather nice beer selection that rotates often. They had 5 or 6 IPA's on tap, and several beers that I almost never see in my travels on draft. A noteworthy one from this weekend was Great Divide Colette. It is a farmhouse saison style and was fantastic. Extremely well balanced, the Belgian yeast esters were subtle and provided a little interest instead of being in-your-face like so many other Belgian inspired beers. It was crisp, effervescent, dry on the finish, and very thirst quenching. Left a deceptively light impression on the tongue for a 7+% ABV beer. My wife is generally not fond of saisons but she enjoyed this one enough to order a pint for herself. I'm going to hunt this beer down so that I have some on hand for deck sitting season.

I heartily recommend GD Colette and a session at the Tantalus bar in East Aurora. BTW- I wasn't fond of my catfish sandwich. The fish was rather muddy tasting and the sammie itself was rather nondescript otherwise. The chicken tortilla soup was very tasty though and so was the wife's mushroom and panchetta flatbread.

• 4 weeks later...

I heartily recommend GD Colette and a session at the Tantalus bar in East Aurora. BTW- I wasn't fond of my catfish sandwich. The fish was rather muddy tasting and the sammie itself was rather nondescript otherwise. The chicken tortilla soup was very tasty though and so was the wife's mushroom and panchetta flatbread.

Been there several times, the pizzas are always good. Be warned though that they're not Buffalo-style pizza, much thinner. But some interesting topping combos.

Apparently there's a Facebook page for 'Aurora Brew works', which is supposed to be coming.

FB comment: "Love the enthusiasm! As for the details, we'll be a craft beer store & tasting bar. Keep an eye out for activity near the roundabout. Things are certainly moving fast at ABW - Fast enough to open as early as mid-June! If you haven't already, please "like" our page and introduce us to your friends. We couldn't be more excited that you're excited. Cheers!"

• 3 weeks later...

This place http://citybration.c...il-contest.html is having a cocktail contest. Make a cocktail that exemplifies the waterfront.

Personally I think someone should make a Pegulager.

The name of the new cocktail must somehow reflect the Waterfront. Please use ingredients that are readily available at local liquor and grocery stores, and try to make it easy to mix by bartenders in our busy Buffalo pubs – we’d love to have it served in local watering holes long after the Floating Cocktail Party is over and the boats have docked.

This place http://citybration.c...il-contest.html is having a cocktail contest. Make a cocktail that exemplifies the waterfront.

Personally I think someone should make a Pegulager.

The name of the new cocktail must somehow reflect the Waterfront. Please use ingredients that are readily available at local liquor and grocery stores, and try to make it easy to mix by bartenders in our busy Buffalo pubs – we’d love to have it served in local watering holes long after the Floating Cocktail Party is over and the boats have docked.

I submitting something super easy that wont win but I call it the buffalo jolly roger

• 2 months later...

Figured this would be a good place to put this.

So its the start of my Junior year at UB and a few friends and i are renting a house, all in all there are 5 of us here and every weekend we go through a substantial amount of beer. There was a very empty looking wall in the living room that led one of my roomates to inspiration.

The Beerlin Wall. Thats right, the Beerlin Wall. We are now forcing ourselves to never buy repeats of anything that come in quantities of 18, 24, 28, or 30 and are putting the faces of each brand on the wall. It's turning into quite the collage and I'm looking forward to its completion.

Figured this would be a good place to put this.

So its the start of my Junior year at UB and a few friends and i are renting a house, all in all there are 5 of us here and every weekend we go through a substantial amount of beer. There was a very empty looking wall in the living room that led one of my roomates to inspiration.

The Beerlin Wall. Thats right, the Beerlin Wall. We are now forcing ourselves to never buy repeats of anything that come in quantities of 18, 24, 28, or 30 and are putting the faces of each brand on the wall. It's turning into quite the collage and I'm looking forward to its completion.

Make sure u rinse those out dude. Fruit flies.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.