The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I haven't heard of the Horseheads brew. Gonna have to try and find some of that.

I'm happy to be partaking of my typical haul of Flying Bison Red and Lager from being home over the weekend. I really wish I could get it in Rochester. Not having it for sale here makes no sense.

I want to throw a shout out to Breckenridge Brewery's product line. Their Avalanche Ale might be one of the best beers I've ever had. :beer:

I haven't heard of the Horseheads brew. Gonna have to try and find some of that.

I'm happy to be partaking of my typical haul of Flying Bison Red and Lager from being home over the weekend. I really wish I could get it in Rochester. Not having it for sale here makes no sense.

I want to throw a shout out to Breckenridge Brewery's product line. Their Avalanche Ale might be one of the best beers I've ever had. :beer:

Horseheads is a new-ish brewery out of............. wait for it............ Horseheads, NY. I've had 3 or 4 of their beers and like them all so far.

As for Flying Bison, last I knew they were having trouble keeping up with demand in the immediate Buffalo area so they aren't expanding distribution until they can keep up with the local market demand.

Edited by weave

Horseheads is a new-ish brewery out of............. wait for it............ Horseheads, NY. I've had 3 or 4 of their beers and like them all so far.

As for Flying Bison, last I knew they were having trouble keeping up with demand in the immediate Buffalo area so they aren't expanding distribution until they can keep up with the local market demand.

I kinda figured that one. ;)

Thanks for the info on FB though. I guess I should be happy they're doing well haha

My common beers are: Yuengling - Harp - Labatt Blue - Dortmunder Gold

My once in a while (because of cost) beers are: Froach - Dogfish Head Midas Touch - Arrogant Bastard

Every year I get Great Lakes Christmas Ale. This is by far the best seasonal beer in my opinion as I'm not crazy about many of them.

My Christmas haul was pretty simple.

Case of The Mad Elf from Troegs..love this beer in the winter, usually only have one at a time. anybody have ideas if this might bea good beer to cellar for a bit?

You've got a case of it. Lay down a couple bottles and get back to us next Christmas !!

Case of The Mad Elf from Troegs..love this beer in the winter, usually only have one at a time. anybody have ideas if this might bea good beer to cellar for a bit?

http://www.troegs.co...ad_elf_ale.aspx

A year or two I left a couple bottles in the fridge for over a year and it was fine. Not sure about actually cellaring it though.

If any of the Buffalo locals haven't tried it, go check out the Pizza Plant over on Main St in Williamsville (first light off the 90/290 exit). Good food (Buffalo pizza shop style) and 10-12 taps of interesting and fairly obscure beers. Bear Double Rocket, Dogfish Chicory Stout, and a couple others a few nights ago.

I want to give a shout out to a nice little beer app, untappd. A friend coaxed me into trying it and it's mildly fun to catalog various beers as I drink them. I usually only manage to record the first couple of the night though. :)

http://untappd.com, or via the Android or iPhone market.

My take was minimal this season - 1 bottle of Southern Tier Cuvee Series 3.

I did however get to upgrade the brewery! It's now all electric with 3 stainless kettles and 2 ranco temp controllers and a march pump. I can now brew inside all year long. No more freezing while brewing a triple decoction czech pils in the winter.

As a side note - maybe the brewers here could swap a couple of brews? I have the usual pils (kegged) and my version of yuengling ready to keg. I also have a Helles in primary. While putting together the new system I haven't kept my kegs full.

When we play columbus make sure to check out Barleys. It's right near the arena and the beer/food is pretty good. The Elevator is cool to visit but the beer is sub-par.

The same reason that us Genny Light drinkers love it so much.

Sure, I'm a massive proponent of Genny, because it's the hometown brew, but at least I know I'm basically drinking crap beer. For some reason Yuengling drinkers have it in their heads that it's a beer that is somehow superior to Genny, Bud, Coors, etc.

I understand being proud of a brand, but it borders on fanatical sometimes.

Here's a question: why the heck do Yuengling drinkers love it so much?

When I lived in Pittsburgh, it was kind of just the beer that was always on hand.

It's easy to drink.

It goes well with food.

No one really dislikes it -- ever spend 20 minutes trying to figure out which cheap beer to buy because one person in the group hates every crappy option?

Personally, I do consider a step above Budweiser, Coors, etc. Not a huge step. For what it's worth, I'm a big Genny fan too, probably only because it's local.

So we had friends over for dinner last night, and dude shows up with 4 of these 22oz bombers

http://www.averybrew...com/our-ales/86

Add in the wine with dinner and after dinner drinks...

Needless to say, have not been doing much today ...but damn hats a nice imperial IPA

I used to live about a mile from the Avery brewery in Boulder (became a total beer snob living in Colorado & Oregon, but I digress...). Used to go over there all the time for samples. The brewery is amazingly small and low-tech. Their labeling machine is about the size of my desk! Boulder Beer Company (Hazed & Infused, Never Summer Ale, etc.) is a bit bigger but still smaller than you'd expect.

Damn, you guys are making me thirsty!

Here's a question: why the heck do Yuengling drinkers love it so much?

I brew my version because sometimes I am just thirsty. Yuengling is an easy drinking beer and a lot of people around here like it. My version is usually a bit hoppier and a little more malt.

Every year I get Great Lakes Christmas Ale. This is by far the best seasonal beer in my opinion as I'm not crazy about many of them.

Oh you've just reminded me of one of the three reasons I miss Cleveland.... Christmas Ale is, quite simply, the best holiday beer ever (that I've consumed).

I lived in Ohio City for a few years, within drunken stumbling distance of Great Lakes Brewery... In fact, had our wedding reception there. Ah, to be young and childless again...

They make a ton of good stuff, the Edmund Fitzgerald porter and Blackout Stout are my favorites, but I like dark beer more than most...

I brewed another version of my black ipa yesterday and got a late xmas present from a fellow homebrewer in the process. He visited family in Cleveland for Christmas and he brought me a six pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I've never tried it, but based on the rave reviews here I might need to crack a few for the game tonight.

I also received a bomber of Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing. Damn this beer is good. It's pretty darn close to supplanting Pliny The Elder at the top of my favorite beer list. Of course both of these are west coast beers that I can only get when I travel or have friends bring some back for me.

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/double-jack-winter-2011

I have yet to make a black IPA. One of these days I'll get around to it. I'm not a fan of the Great Lakes Christmas Ale but I'm in the minority. Most people really like it.

Dortmunder Gold is probably my favorite that they make.

If anyone travels to Columbus for games I would be willing to bring a growler or two to a pre-game beer tasting.

I brewed another version of my black ipa yesterday and got a late xmas present from a fellow homebrewer in the process. He visited family in Cleveland for Christmas and he brought me a six pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I've never tried it, but based on the rave reviews here I might need to crack a few for the game tonight.

I also received a bomber of Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing. Damn this beer is good. It's pretty darn close to supplanting Pliny The Elder at the top of my favorite beer list. Of course both of these are west coast beers that I can only get when I travel or have friends bring some back for me.

http://www.firestone...ack-winter-2011

I've only ever brewed a Porter, a Canadian Ale, and a pretty good Bass Ale clone (3x). I haven't used my brewing equipment in about 1 1/2 years and I have some nice equipment too.

If you do drink the GL Christmas Ale tonight let me know if you like it.

• 3 weeks later...

And two more delicious beers that are new to me.

Local place started carrying Goose Island Matilda in bottles. BA sez it is a strong Belgian Blonde ale but it has definite saison characteristics IMO. Dry finish, a bit of a bubblegummy nose, and a delicious Belgian candy on the tongue. Almost spicy. And not too hurful at 7%ABV. What a tasty experience. I had the last one at the bar today. Hopefully they get more in before Friday evening.

The second one is a score. I've managed to become friends with the owner of one of the beer distributors in my county. He recently started carrying Goose Island's line of beers (hence the presence of Matilda at the local bar). Last time we crossed paths he mentioned that he had a couple bottles at the warehouse with my name on them, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It is a 14%ABV stout that is aged in bourbon barrels. Oh my, beer and bourbon in one convenient glass. How could it be bad, right? Retail around here is in the $7/12oz bottle neighborhood. Cracked one open last night and poured it into a brandy snifter. Yeah, the nose is bourbon and bitter chocolate. And alcohol. You can tell before the first sip that this one is a slow drinking beer. It was thick and rich and full of bitter chocolate, vanilla from the bourbon, and dark fruits. Long finish and alcohol warmth that lasts. What a tasty beer. Did not disappoint in the slightest.

I might save the second bottle for cigar season.

For those of you in central PA (and there are a few!), there's a great little Belgian restaurant in Carlisle with a ridiculous selection of beers and excellent food:

http://www.cafebruges.com/

Had dinner there Sat. night and the bf, who is a huge fan of Belgian brews, was a happy man.

For those of you in central PA (and there are a few!), there's a great little Belgian restaurant in Carlisle with a ridiculous selection of beers and excellent food:

http://www.cafebruges.com/

Had dinner there Sat. night and the bf, who is a huge fan of Belgian brews, was a happy man.

Dizzam !! What a beer list. What was your pour?

Dizzam !! What a beer list. What was your pour?

I can't remember, lol, although not for the obvious reason. :-P I'm really not a beer drinker, so I got a sampler flight of 4 drafts to taste-test without committing to a full glass. They don't have the drafts listed and I think some drafts weren't available in bottles because I don't see a description that matches for two, but I think it was:

St Bernadus Wit (unfiltered, very light and refreshing)

a brown ale of some sort that was compared to Chimay (ok, but not my favorite)

an IPA with orange and coriander spice (interesting flavor but grew tired of it about halfway through the glass)

Lambic Framboise (always a safe bet for a non beer drinker)

I can't remember, lol, although not for the obvious reason. :-P I'm really not a beer drinker, so I got a sampler flight of 4 drafts to taste-test without committing to a full glass. They don't have the drafts listed and I think some drafts weren't available in bottles because I don't see a description that matches for two, but I think it was:

St Bernadus Wit (unfiltered, very light and refreshing)

a brown ale of some sort that was compared to Chimay (ok, but not my favorite)

an IPA with orange and coriander spice (interesting flavor but grew tired of it about halfway through the glass)

Lambic Framboise (always a safe bet for a non beer drinker)

Sounds like great choices.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.