The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

d4rk is right that the low ABV helps. I used to bring Guinness cans to the Great Valley Canoe Regatta partly because it's nice beer and partly because at the time is was the best thing you could get in cans.

There are some stories of drinking days gone by, where a certain bar in Lancaster NY had a bartender who was not very bright. One packed Thanksgiving eve I asked if I could get a pitcher of Guinness for myself, tired of waiting for pints to get refilled. When the response was "uhh sure, $11?", I proceeded to drink 3 pitchers straight from the pitcher.

It was quite the scam :lol:

There are some stories of drinking days gone by, where a certain bar in Lancaster NY had a bartender who was not very bright. One packed Thanksgiving eve I asked if I could get a pitcher of Guinness for myself, tired of waiting for pints to get refilled. When the response was "uhh sure, $11?", I proceeded to drink 3 pitchers straight from the pitcher.

It was quite the scam :lol:

Hahaha, I used to do something similar at a bar called Kelly's in Endicott, NY. I think $11 was about right, but that was the going rate back then. They used to run $1 Labatt Blue bottles specials, if that places the time.

I wouldn't pay $11 for a pitcher of Guiness nor $1 for a bottle of Labatt's.

Good to know, I'll factor your buying preferences into my business plan.

Thank you Victory for making Summer sampler 12 packs. Vital IPA, Summer Love, and Frische Weisse were good.  Cage Radler was pretty boring - way too light in every way possible.  The Frische Weisse was delightfully sour but refreshing at the same time.

Radler is a tough style.  Lots of breweries hopped on the bandwagon, especially PA breweries.  I'm not a huge fan of the style.. it is way too light.

Had Bear Republic Azacca Rebellion last night, quite good.  Best showcase of Azacca I've had yet.  Founders Azacca didn't have enough hop aroma.

Bloodline, by Flying Dog, is a blood orange ale. It's the best flavored beer I have ever consumed. I had it first at the brewery last October. Now they carry it at the Canandaigua Wegmans. It has a permanent position in my beer fridge.

Btw- I now have a full sized fridge in my auxiliary kitchen dedicated exclusively to beer. This makes me happy.

post-2705-0-34561700-1469489424_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Bloodline, by Flying Dog, is a blood orange ale. It's the best flavored beer I have ever consumed. I had it first at the brewery last October. Now they carry it at the Canandaigua Wegmans. It has a permanent position in my beer fridge.

Btw- I now have a full sized fridge in my auxiliary kitchen dedicated exclusively to beer. This makes me happy.

Any chance you could compare to the Resurgence blood orange? I was lukewarm on that.

Appreciating a Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot. I think a couple more and I shall become (11% abv).

I had a tough time with it. The first case of beer I bought in PA was a Weyerbacher mix which had 4 six-packs of Old Heathen Imperial Stout (yum), a Raspberry Imperial Stout (also yum), Merry Monk (9% Belgian), and Blithering Idiot. The BI would cause me to shudder a little when I drank it; it didn't hide the alcohol well. I figured stuff this strong and barleywine wasn't my thing until I tried Victory's V-12 and Old Horizontal. Weyerbacher's Tiny Stout is fantastic, BTW.

TINY: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/56274/

Old Horizontal: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1009/

V-12: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/8998/

Lionshead lager

Mmmmmm!

Yeah, it's fizzy corn water. But it's damn good fizzy corn water.

I grabbed a 6 of Twelve Gates' West Coast IPA (out of Williamsville) last time I was in Buffalo. It's pretty good, if I were local I'd check out their tap-room.

http://12gatesbrewing.com/beer/west-coast-ipa/

I've come around on 12 Gates.  The first thing I had of theirs I did not like. Full stop. It was experimental - maybe out at the brew bash at the ballpark? It was an IPA of some sort, but tasted like a creamsicle. But I've now had their flagship stuff and have been to the tap room: High quality beer.

STBC One Buffalo beer is now coming in cans for anyone wants to sit on a boat and drink a beer that you'll have absolutely no opinion about.

It is a perfectly serviceable non-craft/craft beer. Totally inoffensive. There is a place for this sort of beer in the world -- just not generally in my glass, mind you. But I won't turn it down when someone buys me one.

Any chance you could compare to the Resurgence blood orange? I was lukewarm on that.

I would not judge a style based on how Resurgence presents it.

This is a nice summer sip.

attachicon.gifdogfish_namaste.jpg

I second that emotion.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I tried the Luponic Distortion 1 (Firestone Walker)in a growler and it was very good. Firestone Luponic Distortion changes the hops mix on a "base beer" every 90 days and assigns a Revolution #.......Rev 1 was just as good (maybe better) out of the can..... but Revolution 2 recently hit the shelves of my local craft brew store, and although it's pretty tasty also, Rev 1 was a better fit for me........

I had a tough time with it. The first case of beer I bought in PA was a Weyerbacher mix which had 4 six-packs of Old Heathen Imperial Stout (yum), a Raspberry Imperial Stout (also yum), Merry Monk (9% Belgian), and Blithering Idiot. The BI would cause me to shudder a little when I drank it; it didn't hide the alcohol well. I figured stuff this strong and barleywine wasn't my thing until I tried Victory's V-12 and Old Horizontal. Weyerbacher's Tiny Stout is fantastic, BTW.

TINY: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/56274/

Old Horizontal: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1009/

V-12: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/8998/

I understand the shuddering comment. I was on a pretty unhealthy bing session all weekend and couldnt tell you how many other beers I had prior.

^

Quite so on Resurgence.

Don't get me wrong: Fun as hell to go hang with a group, play some life sized Jenga, sit in the night air, nosh on some soft pretzels. But, outside of a couple of seasonals, their beer varies from decent to middling to poor, IMO. And I've tried a lot of them. But, again, the setting is a huge draw.

Community Beer Works and Big Ditch are making much better beer for my money.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.