The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

One thing is for sure, this fad won't go away easily.  Breweries are loving the fact that these beers are so popular and they can brew them with a light, low cost grain bill and still charge the same price as a full on IPA.

I used to be on the fence about this - a live and let live attitude, if you will - but I'm taking a stand: I want this "style" to disappear. (Yes, literally disappear, PA.) If I want an IPA, I'll get an IPA. If I want something like an IPA but with a lower ABV, I'll order a pale ale.

In fact, pales are back to being my #2 preferred style - right behind browns. 

Honestly, I love the sessions. I'd agree that there is a very little difference between a session and a pale ale, but most pale ales just don't have that super floral hop aroma I love. All-day IPA fo' life.

I'll take a session IPA over a "normal" IPA as produced today. For me, IPAs have become too big and hoppy. My palate just doesnt appreciate all those IBUs but i love the strong floral and citrus flavors. If IPAs ever went back to 6-6.5% abv and 50 IBUs I'd go back to them. Those session IPAs hit my sweet spot, 50-60 IBUs and big citrus notes.

I'll take a session IPA over a "normal" IPA as produced today. For me, IPAs have become too big and hoppy. My palate just doesnt appreciate all those IBUs but i love the strong floral and citrus flavors. If IPAs ever went back to 6-6.5% abv and 50 IBUs I'd go back to them. Those session IPAs hit my sweet spot, 50-60 IBUs and big citrus notes.

Maybe you just need to find the right IPAs. I immediately thought of this, even though it's a little over your ideal numbers:

http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales/ipa

I used to be on the fence about this - a live and let live attitude, if you will - but I'm taking a stand: I want this "style" to disappear. (Yes, literally disappear, PA.) If I want an IPA, I'll get an IPA. If I want something like an IPA but with a lower ABV, I'll order a pale ale.

In fact, pales are back to being my #2 preferred style - right behind browns. 

Can't get on board with this.  Pale Ale's are not designed to be as strong in the hop character and are still designed to have higher abv 5-6%.

For me there are quite a few great session IPA's.  I like the low ABV on these.  It's nice to now always get a high ABV beer.

Can't get on board with this.  Pale Ale's are not designed to be as strong in the hop character and are still designed to have higher abv 5-6%.

Well then stay where you are, sir!

I hear you, though: Pales for sure don't have quite the profile that an IPA does. But they do have some of that presentation - enough, for me. Also true, of course, that the style typically carries that ~5% ABV. 

But so does Bud Heavy, Nancy.

Ha. A joke. (What is a session, by definition? ~4%?)

Anyhoo. It's going to be unseasonably hot this weekend. nfreeman swayed me back to loving the Ryan brothers today. Maybe I need to buy a 12 of Founders All Day and give the style another shot. 

All this IPA talk is killing my vibe. They're called lawnmower brews because they taste like there's grass clippings in the beer! *shakes fist*

I kid, I kid. Everyone has their preferred styles and tastes and no one can ignore the IPA craze.

I will say that I struggle to find good beer to drink out in 85+ degree weather since I'm typically choosing porters and stouts. I want those citrus notes without the hops. Typically I'll have other lighter beer like Rohrbach's blueberry ale. I picked up a Wegman's craft your own 6 pack and found a few other brews to try with fruit notes (including Resurgence Blood Orange) so we shall see... If anyone has summer beer suggestions throw them my way! 

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/66674/

I'm a sucker for gimmick beers. I really am. Give me something strange and I'm on it like PA on scrapple or pi2000 on a report that Auston Matthews may have signed a marketing deal with Swiss Chalet even though he doesn't actually eat chicken. Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin surely falls into that category. The difference here is a really do like it after having it. It's pretty warm, like, I just ate a portion of wings (hot) and I have that nice full-mouth burn going (disclaimer: I don't eat as much hot food as I used to). The fruit in the habanero comes out, as do the hops. It's not something I'd buy a case of, but I'd like to have a 6-pack every few months.

Maybe you just need to find the right IPAs. I immediately thought of this, even though it's a little over your ideal numbers:

http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales/ipa

I've had more than my share, believe me.  On the whole, IPA's are higher alcohol and higher IBUs today than they used to be.  There are IPAs out there more similar to the IPAs of 10+ years ago, but overall the style is about big IBUs and big ABV.

Or just buy some Sol and a bunch of limes and stop being a snob. 

Pass.

This weekend is a Hop Sun weekend.  Perfect example of what I really enjoy in a warm weather beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/66674/

I'm a sucker for gimmick beers. I really am. Give me something strange and I'm on it like PA on scrapple or pi2000 on a report that Auston Matthews may have signed a marketing deal with Swiss Chalet even though he doesn't actually eat chicken. Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin surely falls into that category. The difference here is a really do like it after having it. It's pretty warm, like, I just ate a portion of wings (hot) and I have that nice full-mouth burn going (disclaimer: I don't eat as much hot food as I used to). The fruit in the habanero comes out, as do the hops. It's not something I'd buy a case of, but I'd like to have a 6-pack every few months.

Which reminds me, Ballast Point is setting up shop in my neck of the woods within the next 12-18 months. This on the back of the Deschutes news, will be doing neither my wallet nor liver any good whatsoever.

I've seen the Habanero Sculpin, and am squarely on the fence. Reading your write up I just may have to give it a go...

Weihenstephaner beer is the oldest brewed beer (in the same place) in the world. It's been around since 1025 or so, brewed by monks in Bavaria. I discovered it at an Oktoberfest. It's a bit $ but it's my favorite beer so far.

I'd go with wheat beers all day long in the summer.  Hefeweizen, or american version of wheat beers are great.  Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat is a great choice.

You've got witbier as well.

For session IPA you should give Easy Jack from Firestone Walker a go.

I'd go with wheat beers all day long in the summer.  Hefeweizen, or american version of wheat beers are great.  Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat is a great choice.

You've got witbier as well.

For session IPA you should give Easy Jack from Firestone Walker a go.

I just can't get my head around American Hefeweizens, they mostly taste terrible to me. Magic Hat's (Circus Boy?) sat in my fridge forever because I just didn't want to drink it. I really dig Bavarian though (Franzikaner, Victory's Sunrise and Mad King), the spicy banana thing is awesome; the dry taste of Americans is huge turn off in this style for me.

Heading up to Baltimore for Homebrew Con 2016 tomorrow. I believe there are still conference tickets available for anyone in the area. No you don't need to be a homebrewer to enjoy, just a craft beer enthusiast.

Oh man, lucky dog. Thats on my list for sure.

Just found out theres about a 80% chance that I'm going to go to Amsterdam in the fall for work, my first trip off the continent, and my first thought was about the new types of beer I'm going to get to try.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.